Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some might remember my post last year asking how I can remove the wheel locks on my Supra, since I don't have the correct wheel lock removal tool. Benefits of buying a 2nd hand Supra without knowing it has wheel locks.

Finally, I might have a chance of removing the darn things. I've seen various wheel lock removal sockets designed like an E-Z out, but the reverse, so that the cutting edges of the socket are on the inside and grip the locks when hammered over the top. Have any of you guys used these wheel lock removal sockets before? Craftsman has a set, so does SK Tool, and it seems Snap-On, Bluepoint, and others all do too. Many seems identical in design and the 'set' as they market it.

Now the question is the wheel locks on my car look like the McGard or Gorilla type and they have that darn sleeve that spins around the lock so you can't grab it with a vise grip or anything. Do the above mentioned wheel lock removal sockets fit if you have such a guard around the circumference of the wheel lock? Space seems kind of tight.

Also, what in the world is up with the super tight clearance in the bores of the rims? I can't even fit a normal socket into the bored holes of the rims, let alone engage the lug nuts themselves. It looks like I need a thin wall socket or something!?! I have these really nice Volk rims, but they are nothing but trouble so far. I'm not even sure what size socket I need to fit the darn lug nuts, because I can't even fit one down into the hole to engage one!

This is so irritating!

Edit - By the way, here is a photo of the wheel lock sockets I am talking about. What are the chances that it's side wall is thin enough to fit between the spinning guard and grab the lock itself?

http://www.skhandtool.com/images/itemimages/920.jpg

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
you'll probably have to use a chisel to get that sleeve off then use the bolt out socket, but it might be easier to just drill the stud out and replace it later.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just went thru this with wheels on my car. I tried the lug out you mentioned in your link but it didn't work. They were either to big and would not fit in the bore or to small to fit over the lug. Discount Tire pounded several sockets on and tried to blow it off with an impact and nothing either.

Here's what we did. Get a socket that will fit over your lugs just a bit bigger than the lug in my case it was a 18mm. Then we got some 2 steel pins and superglue them in the socket, put it back over the lug and it should come to a point where it catches on the lug and they came right off. Small principle basically as the lug out. Hope that helps. Any pics of your locks?

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, that sounds like a workable plan actually. I'll definitely have to try that.

Here is a picture of the wheel lock and the rim. Oddly enough, the locks are only on the front rims, and thankfully, not on there rears too, but it seems dumb on the previous owner's part.

The other dumb thing is how tight the distance is between the bores and the normal lug nuts. I must need some kind of thin wall socket to get the regular lug nuts off. Is this typical of all after market rims?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Judging from the pictures it looks like the trick should be able to work for you, just make sure the pins are steel and not aluminum otherwise they will just crush the pin and break off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts