Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mkiii Supra had Gorilla locks, 1 each on all four wheels. I purchased the car a year plus ago and ran into this headache a week ago. Worse part is that the lock key was no where to be found and neither was the sticker.

A Harborfreight bolt extractor in a 19mm, a big f'ing hammer and my trusty 3/8" Milwaukee impact wrench to the rescue

I hate wheel locks with a passion.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Is a gun safe worthless if I forget the combination?

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is a gun safe worthless if I forget the combination?
If you cant get to the guns. Indeed it is worthless. That is unless you plan to use the safe as a weapon?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Is it the safes fault? Or in your case the wheel locks fault? Sounds like user error

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it the safes fault? Or in your case the wheel locks fault? Sounds like user error
If i forgot the wheel locks like your gun safe analogy where you forget the combination , that is clearly USER ERROR.

Thankfully such was not the case since the car did not come with them.

After figuring this socket trick out. All of 1 minute per wheel to take off. Worthless.

·
...pop the hood!
950 Posts
basically you are saying...

with this socket, it renders all wheel locks useless? spending money on them is a waste.

·
iSPOOL
1,401 Posts
I thought he was saying it's worthless because the car he bought didn't come with the key to unlock the wheels. Which to me wouldn't be worthless since it served its purpose, to slow down a potential theft.

The gun safe analogy works because if s person buys a safe without knowing the combination, that's on the person not the safe. The safe served its purpose.

But I can see how it is extremely frustrating for the OP!

Reactions: figgie

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought he was saying it's worthless because the car he bought didn't come with the key to unlock the wheels. Which to me wouldn't be worthless since it served its purpose, to slow down a potential theft.

The gun safe analogy works because if s person buys a safe without knowing the combination, that's on the person not the safe. The safe served its purpose.

But I can see how it is extremely frustrating for the OP!
Honestly, it was. I was ready to cut the wheel out if needed.

But youtube has so many videos on wheel lock removals it isnt funny. Even focusing on very specific wheel locks.

Now on these locks, gorilla improved upon them with the x2 that makes the part i used to remove, freespining which then this technique does not work.

As for thiefs, it is the old adage if they want it, they will take the car.

This way will make lots of noise and would bring unwanted attention to the riffraff as they hammer the socket on.

Also there is a high probability if it is over torqued due to corrosion or anything, it might end up stripping the "key" which you would then be SOL without a work around.

There is no such thing as an undefeatable lock. Whether, house, safes cars or wheels.

·
iSPOOL
1,401 Posts
Yup. Wheel locks are simple to SLOW someone down momentarily. I've forced one of mine off before with enough force because I temporarily misplaced my keyway. But if it wasn't my car I might have left the vehicle for an easier target due to the lock.

·
Blue Thunder
3,521 Posts
This trick is at least 30 years old. Even works on the "spinning head" ones. LOL.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I refuse to drive a vehicle with locks on the wheels, I carry a floor jack in my trunk too because I can't stand using a scissor jack.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I guess you looked around for the wheel lock key. People that have them usually hide them. Places to look would be the glove box, console, door storage pockets, the 2 trays in the trunk and around or under the spare tire or in the jack bag. A place I like to use is through the antenna access panel and all the way back near the bumper. You can hide keys or whatever wrapped in paper towel and in a plastic bag.

·
Registered
89 Posts
basically you are saying...

with this socket, it renders all wheel locks useless? spending money on them is a waste.
YEP! Anyone can buy the wheel lock removal socket. I had a set for work and used them many times.5 bucks per wheel + need to buy replacement lug nut.My set was from Snap On.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Bought a truck one time that had wheel locks removed. The previous owner was kind enough to install oem looking nuts in place of the locks, but the hex head was not the same size as the other lugs (19mm or whatever). Of course it was super fun to discover all this on the side of the interstate at rush hour bc I could not change a flat.
Now I always carry a 4 way lug wrench lol

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bought a truck one time that had wheel locks removed. The previous owner was kind enough to install oem looking nuts in place of the locks, but the hex head was not the same size as the other lugs (19mm or whatever). Of course it was super fun to discover all this on the side of the interstate at rush hour bc I could not change a flat.
Now I always carry a 4 way lug wrench lol
yikes!

That is one of the worse time to discover locks, wrong lugs etc.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess you looked around for the wheel lock key. People that have them usually hide them. Places to look would be the glove box, console, door storage pockets, the 2 trays in the trunk and around or under the spare tire or in the jack bag. A place I like to use is through the antenna access panel and all the way back near the bumper. You can hide keys or whatever wrapped in paper towel and in a plastic bag.
Well the car had the glove box and center console which has been removed by me.

The rear was plastic less as previous owner had a stereo system in the back.
I checked the door cards incase.

nada.

At least it was in my garage instead of the side of the road.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I feel your pain Figgie. The LS400 we bought came without the lock key, and I didn't notice until I needed to change tires. A reverse threaded impact socket and a mean impact were needed to break the torque on those nuts. A welder and some angle iron were needed to remove the lock nut from the socket.

Can't say that job was at all fun. Made worse by the fact that whatever gorilla torqued the nuts last REALLY put them on there. Seriously, I'm about 130 lbs, and jumping down on an 18" breaker bar did NOTHING. I don't know what those things were actually torqued down to, but ugh.

Reactions: Shady 2jz

·
Registered
‘87 Supra 1JZ - PT6266
2 Posts
I misplaced mine recently. Fortunately or unfortunately you can grab some at NAPA for like under $10 if you don’t want to go the extractor route or require thin wall.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I feel your pain Figgie. The LS400 we bought came without the lock key, and I didn't notice until I needed to change tires. A reverse threaded impact socket and a mean impact were needed to break the torque on those nuts. A welder and some angle iron were needed to remove the lock nut from the socket.

Can't say that job was at all fun. Made worse by the fact that whatever gorilla torqued the nuts last REALLY put them on there. Seriously, I'm about 130 lbs, and jumping down on an 18" breaker bar did NOTHING. I don't know what those things were actually torqued down to, but ugh.
and that is all it takes, one over torque and usually the keys get destroyed if you are lucky to have them.

But lugs and overtorque is standard op for tire shops especially if they are using the impact at full tilt to put the lugs\locks on. :(

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Figgie, I appreciate the opportunities for employment that tire shops and lube shops offer younger folks, and we ALL have to start and learn somewhere, but I've learned to only rely on them for the stuff I don't have the equipment to handle myself. I think the last time I let someone else change my oil (other than a supervised training exercise with a young friend of mine) was in 2006, when the local grease monkey forgot to replace the crush washer on the drain plug. My car didn't leak until that day, d'oh!

Tires... I just take them in loose anymore, I can't even recall the last time I let them take them off my car, or even which car it would have been. Probably mid to late 2000's. We're blessed to have a decent fleet, and as a side effect, lots of practice changing tires on a bi-annual basis (thanks to Wyoming's 8-10 month winters), and I have a quick and easy method. Break the lug nut torque with a breaker bar, jack up the car, and a little Dewalt 1/4" impact driver makes VERY quick work of spinning the nuts off.

Best part? When you've hand started the lug nuts a few threads on the install side of things, the same impact driver zips them tight in a hurry, but... I'm pretty sure the maximum torque the little thing can put down is about 75 ft-lbs unless you sit there and CRANK on it for a while. So you can zap zap your way on each wheel like your best pit-stop impression, then go around with a torque wrench (like you SHOULD be doing anyway...) and add in those additional few degrees of twist. I usually only have to add about 30 degrees of twist after using that impact driver. It really is a good combo. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts