Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, my car decided to start doing something for the first time when it was being test driven. *Go figure.*:rolleyes:

When I brake hard, I start to hear a noise coming from the wheels. Kind of a "shhhht shhhht shhhhht shhhht...." Only thing is, once it starts, it doesn't go away when I take my foot of the brake, but changes frequency as the car goes faster or slower.
It eventually just goes away over time if I dont' brake.
My guess is the caliper is sticking, but I don't know.
Could it possibly be just a rock stuck in there?

Anyone know what this might be or how to fix it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I told the guy who looked at it I'd check into it and he's going to call me tomorrow, so the sooner the better. :)

Thanks.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Since I can't hear the sound and typing out a sound is just about useless I'll just make some stabs in the dark.

The first thing that comes to mind is your brake pad wear indicators are rubbing. Easiest way to check that is to pull a wheel off and see if the indicators are even close to the rotor. While you've got the wheel off, spray both sides of the brake rotor with brake parts cleaner, to make sure you don't have any residue. If that's not the car then possibly a caliper is getting stuck. You could try flushing your brake fluid out, but if that doesn't help you'll need to rebuild your caliper or get a replacement.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hrm...yeah, it'd definitely not the wear indicators. It sounds more like something's dragging. And now that I think of it, the car always does pull to that side, even after an alignment. About how much do calipers go for?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I was looking at Carparts.com, it says something about a "Caliper Repair Kit" They're about $20.00. What might that be? Would that be the way to go?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jack up your car, and spin the wheel that is causing the problem. It should be fairly obvious what is the culprit, and go from there.

Could be lots of things, from seized calipers, to out of place shims, worn bearings, splash shields rubbing etc etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like the splash shield was rubbing. I must have dented it when I was doing the suspension a week ago. Why it had to start acting up right then is beyond me, but the timing sucked.
Thanks for all the help though, I'll post again if it turns out to be something else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts