Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im a little worried that since they take up more space, the lug nuts wont go in as deep (greater chance of wheels falling off)-is this a problem? also, would it affect driving performance? mine are universal 5 lugs from pep boys

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
im no expert but from what i understand the spacer will actually gives you better handling b/c it allows you to cover more gound(width wise) and for the negative side i gues if you get then to big your rims/tires will stick out andill look fugly...

although i could be wrong...

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
umm how wide is the spacer? i have had 15mm i think spacers and it came with extended lugs...i read something about if the lug nuts did 5 complete revolutions before it tightens its ok not sure do a search on that....with a 5mm spacers it should be fine...

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
I like to have at least 6 turns on a lug, but yes they are OK (not ideal). The main problem is that stock wheels are hub-centric, not lug-centric (so the wheel won't be perfectly centered and may develop a vibration).

Anyhow, I use wheel spacers on the front of MKIV tt wheels and it makes them fit more flush with the fenders (like the stock mkiv tt rears)

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
i think SIX turns is NHRA requirment for tech inspections... ive heard of the SIX turn rule of thumb elsewhere.

the fact that it changes the wheels to a lug-centric mounting is a good point... your wheels may not be concentric with the hub center axis and could lead to vibration.

the other thing is, it could place an excessive load on the wheel bearings and cause them to wear out at an accelerated rate.

this is a common problem when people put those 13" Dayton rims on their Isuzu Impulses and such and the had -50 offset... where the wheels stuck out Further than the fenders and created a Roller-Skate look.

·
Dissident
1,087 Posts
It also messes with your steering and handling. You read SCC? Dave Coleman coined the term "The Dave Point" to describe where the kingpin axis intersects the drive surface. This point should be in the center of the wheel. The distance between "The Dave Point" and the center of the wheel is the Scrub Radius. The larger the Scrub Radius, the larger the problems.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
limequat said:
It also messes with your steering and handling. You read SCC? Dave Coleman coined the term "The Dave Point" to describe where the kingpin axis intersects the drive surface. This point should be in the center of the wheel. The distance between "The Dave Point" and the center of the wheel is the Scrub Radius. The larger the Scrub Radius, the larger the problems.
yeah, I get torque steer like a mofo now

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
sarcasm (the dave point was used to describe why torque steer happens in front wheel drives) :bigok:

You'll have a hard time finding any aftermarket wheels that maintain an OEM centerpoint. It's not a big deal, it's along the magnitude of lowering your car (You used to hear people on the SOGI e-list cry out about changing the camber curves...)

·
Dissident
1,087 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:
sarcasm (the dave point was used to describe why torque steer happens in front wheel drives) :bigok:

You'll have a hard time finding any aftermarket wheels that maintain an OEM centerpoint. It's not a big deal, it's along the magnitude of lowering your car (You used to hear people on the SOGI e-list cry out about changing the camber curves...)
In moderation I suppose. I run 23mm offset wheels up front. It's not horrible, but the steering seems kinda twitchy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts