Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have it on my white car 2 spots on the driver side and 1 on the passenger prolly 7-8 inches long 3-4 inches wide how hard would it be to fix that? I had the back torn apart inside not to long ago and didnt see any rust holes but these are holes can i just cut it out and weld in a patch?

EDIT i remember there was a thread where a guy fixed his and it was pretty bad rust but ive been searching for hours and cant find it at all.

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Heres pics of the rust sorry i couldnt get them lastnight.

On a scale of 1-10 how bad is this? i didnt see any rust threw into the inside of the car and it has a protective coating on the buttom inside the wells so it woulda had to rust from the inside down right?

the more i look at it the more it looks like he blew a tire and it whipped around and maybe smacked the coating away? and then it rusted im not sure but i think it could be worse the car was in new york for 19 years of its life threw all those winters so it could be worse right?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
glad i live in a desert.
but maybe i should check anyway

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I have rust through in my hatch as well. The previous owner never check and the whole rear wheel area was filled with water. :rofl:

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
i have that problem but i have WHOLES larger then that in both wheel wells along with the spare tire well which has a few holes. I'll take pics later cause i'm @ work.

·
slower than a turtle
1,096 Posts
what i did because im cheap is filled the holes with expandafoam. took the wheel well down the bare metal and undercoated it 4-5 times. the rust hasnt come back and its been a year now so i think it works

·
Digital Dreamer
898 Posts
My 92 had holes the size of books there. Lets just say burnouts really filled the cockpit nicely ahahahaa.
eric

·
slowest restoration ever
626 Posts
your rust is no match for my rust. I'm pretty much rebuilding the areas around the wheels and other parts of the trunk. I'm doing it for my enjoyment obviously, not because practical to repair rusted out cars.

supraguru05 said:
what i did because im cheap is filled the holes with expandafoam. took the wheel well down the bare metal and undercoated it 4-5 times. the rust hasnt come back and its been a year now so i think it works
AAAGGGGH!! The guy who had my '87 before me did that. It makes it a pain in the ass to fix it right.

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive done a few burnouts with the windows up and shit and ive yet to see smoke inside the car so,It must not be ALL the way threw but its not a major thing then i guess if you guys had HUGE holes then its not as much of a problem as i thought. I mean its rust and it is a problem but i thought it was gonna make the car fall apart in like 2 months.

my car isnt too bad for living in new york for 19 years right? :sadance:

Thanks for the link BlackDevil

·
slower than a turtle
1,096 Posts
like its the same thing as cutting the rust out its just i didnt patch the holes with metal. if you sand all the rust out then the rust is gone so you seal it and it wont come back. i didnt just spray over the rust. plus my holes were itty btity like only the welds fell thru so i could have just undercoated over it and they would have filled themselves.

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
so if i cut those out and weld in new peices its not gonna fuck up the suspension angles or anything when i cut out the metal is it? should i brace it or?

and did you guys with bad rust still drive your cars hard while it was like that?

·
Registered
945 Posts
If you want to do a poor man's fix and the rust you have shown us is a hole right through the wheel well I would do this:

-cut the rust out making sure you don't leave any rough/sharp edges
-get some sheet metal and rivet it on
-use JBweld to secure the rivets and around the sheet metal
-inside the car, use heavy duty fibreglass matting
-use some POR-15 over everything inside out
-Get some rubber undercoating to place back on the POR-15 by the wheel well

Tools I would use:

-Angle grinder
-Smaller Roto grinder
-hammer
-metal cutter
-drill
-cobalt drill bits
-rust sander wheel with some anti-rust chemical additives

That should be rock solid, and perhaps overkill for smaller holes.

·
FIX-R upper
567 Posts
If you dont have rust at all.. and have never added some rubber undercoating, do it now!! thats what im doing. But i dont know to clean it really good then spray some or just sand it down a bit and then clean it then add some rubber undercoating.

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,476 Posts
cut it out like the cancer it is that si what i did and alot fo supra rust there it there comon rusting spot

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
my rear end filled up with water in the rain (actually, just the rear 1/4 low points and the passenger box-section right below the door) and it made wave sounds whenever I turned a corner. I am completely gutting the rear end, including cutting out the rear wheel wells and replacing them with new panels from toyota.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
hahaha i love my rust free supra but even mine is flaking off there.

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
The rust on my car was so bad I had both rear quarter panels re done by a local body shop. The doors and fenders were previously fixed by the owner and fixed dents/rust with a horrible bondo job. I had to get both different fenders and doors. yikes, glad thats over.

The rust on your car doesnt look too bad. But definetely get it fixed.

na-t Dave

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had rust similar to yours. Just cut out all the rusty spots and replace them with new metal. If you feel like your angles are gonna go wrong when cutting the rust off, a good trick to that is to weld a temporary "strut-bar" to keep the angles in place. And ALWAYS try to paint/coat the welded pieces from BOTH SIDES - in places you can you are able to do so. Unpainted welded metal will develop rust - regardless of exposing to water or not. I might be throwing some really obvious tips here but I don't know how much you know so don't be affended. And sorry for my bad english.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts