Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so I've been sitting at my computer for hours and hours searching through the official wheels and tires thread along with the black supra thread trying to figure out what type of wheels and tires I want. My black MKIV Supra is going to be a N/A-T very soon and hopefully doing about 500whp and possibly doing a TT brake conversion.

What popular wheels and tires can you recommend that are 5 spoke (just a preference but I'm open to options), 18" option with a range of x8 to x10, want to avoid rolling fenders, and less than or around $2000 for a full set 4. I've looked at gram light, volk sf challenge, and TE37.

I've seen sites with staggared packages of 235/40/18 and 265/35/18. Why is it that rears tend to have a smaller sidewall and will this size do for traction wize?

With tires I've looked at Nitto NT555's. I also like the Nitto Invo's but cant seem to find them in a package deal.

Is the best way to just order everything separately instead of the package deals?

I'm kinda lost/overwhealmed. Please help!

Thanks in advance for taking time to help out a noob.

·
Always hungry!
202 Posts
I was in the same boat as you few months back and i can tell you that around $2000 or less will not get you wheels+rubber, unless you buy used. I'd recommend SSR SP1 black spokes, or CCW sp505a/500s, good luck and post em when you get!

·
Blood for Blood
8,323 Posts
^ thats a nice rim... I went CCW classic I wanted them and like the look.... but its your wants and with these you can wait to get what you really want .... I would not buy something to just get a set but maybe look and wait to get what you think is best for you.. the Nitto 555R's drag extreme are a great rear tire for summer fun... they stay sticky even till you see belt... but they dont last as long as others would.. tire set up is very much set to the driver and the use of the car.

·
Boost Creep
3,489 Posts
Going to be very hard to get wheels and tires at that price that are anything of quality... If you get into the 2500 range, you will have some better luck.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
The rears dont really have a smaller sidewall.

Check it:

235/40/17 The middle number isn't the height of the sidewall, its the percentage of the first number. So the bigger the first the number, the bigger the sidewall will be, if the middle number is the same as the first ya dig?

Example

235/40=94mm

235/35=82.25mm

Since the rear wheels are wider, the second number is generally smaller, so the tire's are similar in height sidewall wise.

265/35=92.75mm

Hope that helps

·
Registered
815 Posts
i'd have to say the ssr sp1 professors..... they are right around $, 5 spoke, you can get whatever size, and they have the nicest lip on them... if you want a picture of them on my supra let me know ill post one up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts