Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Under Construction
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 19" wheels. 19x9 front and 19x10 back. All four corners have a +39 offset. What exactly happens when a tire is too tall for a certain application? I'm shopping for 19" tires

255/30/19
285/30/19

If I want the same tires on all our corners, I don't have too many tire choices with those sizes. Kinda sucks since BF Goodrich wants to sponsor me but the closest sizes they have are:

245/35/19 and 255/35/19 for the front
285/35/19 and 295/35/19 for the rear.

They also have 275/30/19 which is fine but a bit too thin for my taste. When I plug the sizes into the fitment guide, it tells me the tires are too tall except for the 275/30/19

What happens when a tire is too tall? The speedo and tach are off right? Should I get the taller tires which are free :) or buy a set of 19" tires in the sizes I want? Thanks guys.

·
what comes out the butt?
4,469 Posts
why not get them free and then sell the sizes you dont want for some sizes that you DO want...save teh moneh;)

-mike

·
Under Construction
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MaliCali said:
why not get them free and then sell the sizes you dont want for some sizes that you DO want...save teh moneh;)

-mike
Can't be in the BF Goodrich booth at shows with Michelin tires :)

·
Under Construction
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AlpineTT said:
If they are too tall or too wide, they will rub. I would go with the 275/30's in your case.
I'm not sure if they will rub. My fenders have been rolled and I have the removed the plastics in the front wheels wells.I also have Tein coilovers. I had 255/35 and 295/30 in 18" with my last setup without any probs.

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
those all sound too tall dude, 285/35/19 for example has a standing height MUCH higher than stock, will definitely affect your gearing

On 19's id say you're limited to running no more than 30 profile tyres, maybe even 25's on 295's.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If they are going to sponsor you, why don't you try a size out and see if they fit. Then, if they don't fit, try a different size. I would love to be sponsored, makes life much easier. :naughty:

·
Under Construction
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Opiejoe said:
If they are going to sponsor you, why don't you try a size out and see if they fit. Then, if they don't fit, try a different size. I would love to be sponsored, makes life much easier. :naughty:

I'm sure I can make them fit but I wanted to know what is the downside of a tire that is too tall. If it screws up my tach and speedo readings, is it really worth it?

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
Think about it ...tach is not effected by tire size. No matter what tire size you have, if you're tach says 5krpm it's 5krpm.
Speedo will be off if you care about that. I wouldn't even give a shit about speedo reading IF there was no clearance problem with the tall tire.

It barely takes a thought to look at 55 on the speedo and realize you're actually going at the blazing speed of 59.6mph. And if you're going 80mph+ like some of us might, who cars if it's off 8.4% high.

PS: I used 295/35 X 19 compared to stock 255/40 X 17

I'd say make sure it fits and take the free stuff.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
here is how you calculate the height of the tire, so you can play with the numbers:

Tire diameter = (wheel diam"*25.4) + 2*(aspect ratio * width of tire)
Tire diameter (inches) = [(wheel diam"*25.4) + 2*(aspect ratio * width of tire)] / 25.4
275/45-17

275 is the width (mm)
45 is the aspect ratio (%)
17 is the rim size (inches)

-M

·
Registered
159 Posts
They won't be too tall. May cause some rubbing depending on how stiff your suspension is. Just roll your fenders and they should be fine, but ga-damn 19s are huge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts