Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2Jz motor for my MK3 and its on the way to the machine shop(headwork,J and Es,rods blah blah). I am hoping the 7M can give me one more year and then it gets put in something else or thrown in the trash.
What trans are you guys running?
I am gunning for 700RWHP all the time with cams and head work. Not 100 percent decided on turbo and engine management. Have a VPC for a 2J but I think with the cams it will not idle correctly. I wanted the 2J because of the cubes and the fact they are rare in Mk3s.

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
nice nice. I'm considering dopping a 2J in my mk3. Moneys been a little tight for me, so I'm most likely going to go 1J. good luck man.

na-t Dave

·
Registered
345 Posts
welcome to the ultimate mkiii club (j/k no such thing),though there's quite a few guys catching up to the swap its always interesting to see what their setups are going to be like..........my current tranny consist of a R-154 from my previous 1jz along with a TRD six puck clutch set,just finished my install of a power fc unit today so i will be heading to the dyno sometime soon, anyway its always good to see someone else making this move and good luck with it ..........keep us posted

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Good luck to both of you.
I have a chryotreated R154 with a RPS flywheel and clutch. Might retain it with the 2J.

·
Newbe....I know nothing!
1,853 Posts
I'm running a R-154 with RPS Max PP and HPF feramic full disc. Also running AEM EMS for managment, turbo is yet to be determind. I have a 2jz in the shop right now with GT42R and it has really got me thinking. :takethat:

Also I have head work with Crower valve train, stock cams (for now)fully ported & flowed, ARP from top to bottom.

Good luck with yours,

Jeremy

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
Most of you guys know me, I have had my 2j in there for the last 4 years. And I have been through a lot of differnt setups. My current being fully built motor. Big turbo, big fuel, etc... On my quest for 1000whp on boost. And 1100 with some happy gas.. I have also been using the r-154 with RPS 6puck for the lenth of my swap. I have now switched to the 6spd witha tripple carbon clutch to hold the power I plan an making.

Good luck with your swap and post pics

·
HMOOB VWJ NYOB MINNESOTA
1,352 Posts
Im also in the process of putting a 2jz in a friends 89 mk3. Will be using the stock r154 with rps clutch, t61 or 67, and maybe some happy gas too.

·
DON'T BLAME ME!!!
826 Posts
[QUOTE. I wanted the 2J because of the cubes and the fact they are rare in Mk3s.[/QUOTE]

They are rare in MkIII's granted, but what about the "cubes", how are there more of them in the 2JZ, :rolleyes: when both motors are 3 liters? :scratch: I don't get it!? Unless you are saying that there is no stroker kit made for the 7M?...

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
im going 2jz now -

I decided to go with the NA-T platform because they are essentially the same motor and will be much less expensive in the long run.

na block = 700
tt block = 3000

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
I'd rather go 1.5JZ... alot easier and ends up being cheaper since 2JZ's are far over priced.

·
Project Sleepra
279 Posts
add me to the list of swaps in progress...

I have a single manifold and 1JZ bellhousing enroute

my JDM 2JZ GTE from an aristo is on hold at a semi local JDM importer (in my state but 2 hours away)

I have a lot to do.. but it should hopefully happen soon.. my first goal is 500rwhp single conversion right off the bat... R154 tranny.. I need to beef up my drivetrain its old and worn and the 2JZ will make quick work of it.

I'm going to be using Megasquirt to run the engine since I don't have a 2JZ ecu and I don't think I need one since its going into an A70

any insight from people who have done this swap? btw this isn't being done by a shop.. I'm going to do it and force some of my friends to help.

I know I need a supra oil pan since the Aristo sump is in front. My only concern right now is the electronics, however I don't doubt MS can do it with some tweaking.

·
fbody to supra to fbody
2,015 Posts
91T "Sun Snail" said:
They are rare in MkIII's granted, but what about the "cubes", how are there more of them in the 2JZ, :rolleyes: when both motors are 3 liters? :scratch: I don't get it!? Unless you are saying that there is no stroker kit made for the 7M?...
I think what he's referring to is when next to the very popular 1jz swap, the 2jz has the cubes on it. Just a thought...

-J

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes you are correct. I meant 2J is bigger than the 1J. I am done with 7Ms.
Thanks for everyone's input. And good luck with everyone's cars.
I have a 6speed from a Mk4-I might end up using it-what rear end gear ratio works best?

·
Project Sleepra
279 Posts
2jzMK3 said:
I'm not sure how megasquirt works, but unless its a full standalone you will need the stock ecu.
Basically, it came about for carbeurated guys wanting to swap to EFI for cheap

depending on how you build it, it can run everything from fuel maps to ignition maps, speed based boost limits, it can drive the stock tach, it can be programmed to control a sequential shift light (so you don't have a huge obnoxious flashlight you can build a flat LED style sequential shift light a la F1) and do numerous other things. I also believe it can be run in a speed density set up (granted you buy or have the sensors required) thus eliminating the AFM. It also gives complete control over fuel injectors by doing its own injector calculations (nifty if you want to get around the +/- 20% or so of piggybacks like SAFC or GReddy Emanage (not sure about ULTIMATE's limitations tho)

I was just wondering if anyone has implemented it successfully with or without a stock ECU.

Alot of tuners use it as a make shift piggy back (more powerful than most), but its initial design criteria was to be the only ecu on board.

I figure I could solve a lot of the electronic compatibility problems between the A70 chassis and the 2JZ engine by running it solely on MegaSquirt. And if it doesn't work, I'm not out a small fortune on a useless peice of circuits and chips.

It doesn't seem a lot of people have experience with it and the 2JZ tho, so it looks like i'm going to have to just bite the bullet, try it, and post my results. I've been doing a lot of research on the electronical aspect of the 2JZ swap since everyone knows getting the engine to fit and bolt up mechanically is relatively simple.

if anyone has any relative info please post. Tomorrow's research will focus on the MS forums... --> MegaSquirt forums

I'm still wondering about ignitor compatibility as well. I know JZ ignitors are swappable (1JZ or 2JZ) but will the 7M work with a JZ series engine? My guess would be no.. but a lot of 2JZ swap threads do not mention getting the ignitor at all (assuming you got a front end clip)

we need a serious, detailed list of every component needed for a 2JZ swap (all I have is an engine with accessories and wiring harness. No ecu, nothing associated with the engine thats normally attached to the A80 chassis was included in what I bought.. which includes the all important 'ignitor'.. still wondering if I absolutely need that component and what precisely its purpose is)

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am creating a page just for the swap and will post pics. I have helped do 4 of them in the last 10 years. I believe on those the owners used a 1J ignitor or their existing 2J ignitor from the clip.

My concern is the transmission. I was close to buying an automatic 1986 car to put the 2J in and use a built Toyota trans but its a pot shot in terms of strength(meaning built up ones from SP). Some guys like Richard with his automatic 1J run low 10s and other guys seem to kill them on the first pass. I will cyrotreat a 6 speed and go from there. I need to do more research on the clutch issue.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
Mike 92LX said:
Yes you are correct. I meant 2J is bigger than the 1J. I am done with 7Ms.
Thanks for everyone's input. And good luck with everyone's cars.
I have a 6speed from a Mk4-I might end up using it-what rear end gear ratio works best?
Somewhere between 3.13 (stock USDM MKIV) and 3.27 (stock JDM MKIV) is the best, anything higher and you're losing top end from an R154 and making 1st useless.

I'd try to get as close to 3.13 as possible if you want to use the V160.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good info... thank you.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
41201-39795

That's the closest I can find right now for a Ring & Pinion set from Toyota for the 8.0" setup. It's a 3.583:1 ratio.

Still looking.

EDIT: 41201-29547 is for 3.42:1

·
Now with less BHG...
409 Posts
ImUrTurboLover said:
we need a serious, detailed list of every component needed for a 2JZ swap (all I have is an engine with accessories and wiring harness. No ecu, nothing associated with the engine thats normally attached to the A80 chassis was included in what I bought.. which includes the all important 'ignitor'.. still wondering if I absolutely need that component and what precisely its purpose is)
100% Agreed. I'm in the process of planning/aquiring everything (including a donor MKIII) and I'm finding the number of questions I have going unanswered. My primary concern was in the electronics as well, specifically the difference between this (2JZ) swap and the 1JZ swap.

I think the number of JZ swapped cars is going to continue to grow, for a number of reasons. Reliability isn't the only one in my eyes tho, performance is in there too, haha. Parts availability is better...etc..etc..

So, I guess sign me up, however I won't even begin actually putting it all together until I hit the states again, so gimme about 2 1/2 years, haha...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts