Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know where to put a sub in this car (89T). :confused: Can I have some pics of where you guys put them please. I am a carpenter/cabinetmaker so I should have no problems custom making somthing that works. I was thinking of making somthing for the trunk buy utilizing the spare tire spot, so that the targa can still fit on top but then thought it would muffle the bass when the roof is off.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
it doesnt muffle the bass to bad, thats exactly what i have, i buillt a box that fit in the spare tire well (had to grind off the nut for my spare) and then cut a piece of wood that was the same as the stock piece of wood. Screwed the sub box to the bottom of my new wood cut out, carpeted it and it looks SWEET and slams and i can still use the targa holders. Id post pics but im too lazy ask the nor cal folk they ahve seen my install.

~scott

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
thats freakin sweet mk3brent.
what are all the things for. left-middle-right-right bottom?
did you have to make your own wood floor to go over the spare tire? or did you leave it and does it still move on the hinge thingy?

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,130 Posts
Everything is functional.

The floor is contoured to the spare tire and lays flat in the hatch.
I made it, then realized I didn't care anymore about it... it's all empty.

Spaces can fit 12", 9", and I think an 8".... and the other spaces were for amp(s).

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
MK3Brent said:
Hardtop baby.
Doesn't that kind/size of box add more weight to our cars.....I've just doing my setup and am debating on this as well but the weight factor has got me thinking for alternative ways of sub setups..

On the contrary, that's a clean setup :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
SUPRASTANGER507mgte said:
Doesn't that kind/size of box add more weight to our cars.....I've just doing my setup and am debating on this as well but the weight factor has got me thinking for alternative ways of sub setups..

On the contrary, that's a clean setup :bigthumb:
yes, those types of boxes can weigh quite a bit depending on materials and sizes. Mine weighs a good 40lbs (a 12 and 2 8's). weight over the rear wheels is good, but if you're really concerned, just make it out of fiberglass, that'll be about as light as you can get.

and yes, that is a clean setup. I like it

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
i just finished my custom box... ill try and get some pics up soon

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
I built a custom box a few months ago for the hatch area. It goes in the same spot as MK3Brent's box, with the driver firing forward towards the back of the rear seats (to protect it from crap in my trunk). Of course, you will lose the functionality of holding a targa roof, and it adds like 40lbs, but hey, more traction :p . It's bolted to the floor, and to the frame behind the seats. It doesn't move.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts