Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
FasterThanASpeedingCivic
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive tried Newegg, but they seem a little expensive on laptops. Im looking for something under 1K somewhere around the 500-700. It really dosent have to be fancy, or play high end games, I just need it for work. Mostly documents/internet.

Thanks SFOT ;)

·
7M till the END
586 Posts
Here is an excellent deal I found earlier:

HP Pavilion HDX16t, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T6400, 2.0GHz, 16" Infinity Display, 2GB RAM, 250GB, Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, 802.11 a/b/g/N, Webcam, Fingerprint Reader, 6 Cell Battery, Windows Vista Home Premium + FREE Deskjet D4360 Printer(Optional) » for $799.99 at HPShopping.com

Price shows $999.99 (After $200 instant discount)
Select Operating System to "Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit) (+$0)
Select Primary CD/DVD drive to "FREE Upgrade to Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer (+$0)"
Click on Review & Buy on the top and then Click on Add to cart for $1399.99 (before instant discount)

At Checkout apply $400 off over $1199 purchase of Select HP Pavilion Notebook PCs with Coupon Code: NB9874 (Exp. After 900 uses)
Final Price : $1199.99 - $400 = $799.99 + Free Shipping + Tax
[OPTIONAL] Before Add to Cart, Select Printer to "FREE Deskjet D4360 Printer" (Free after $70 Mail-in Rebate )

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
Honestly, i wouldnt touch anything HP, nor with 64bit on it. But thats just my opinion.

You can find a bunch out there for that range though. Id personally look into Dells and Toshibas. Some of the Toshibas you can find in the $500 range at BB and they are actually pretty damn decent. esp for what you will be needing it for from the sounds of it.

·
FasterThanASpeedingCivic
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn thats not to bad! Thanks!

I had an HP for the longest time, had no problems with it what so ever!

·
6,015 Posts
I've bought several of the $600-$1000 HP laptops at best buy over the past several years. They've been super reliable and seemed like a great value to me. ymmv.

Why did you buy several?

I just have a sour opinion on them from working there. Granted the numbers are relative to sales, but I worked on more HP product than anything. I dont even really think they are a great deal either to be honest.

·
FasterThanASpeedingCivic
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you can find me a blu-ray laptop with the 9series card for cheaper, I'll buy that instead!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Why did you buy several?

I just have a sour opinion on them from working there. Granted the numbers are relative to sales, but I worked on more HP product than anything. I dont even really think they are a great deal either to be honest.
For the past 3 years, I've upgraded once a year every year when the back to school specials appeared. Between all the hp/compaq laptops I've passed on or bought/picked out for myself/family, have been running well to this date. Just been my experience. I'm a 'power user'though so maybe i've had better luck avoiding pitfalls.

As for pricing, the hp/compaq's i see at best buy are always 2nd cheapest next to acer laptops. thats low priced imo, and runs to my satisfaction. When i purchase again, it's likely to be an hp laptop.

·
6,015 Posts
I'm a 'power user'though so maybe i've had better luck avoiding pitfalls.

As for pricing, the hp/compaq's i see at best buy are always 2nd cheapest next to acer laptops. thats low priced imo, and runs to my satisfaction. When i purchase again, it's likely to be an hp laptop.

Thats true though on the type of user making a difference. I guess its all relative though like I said.

As far as price, I deff saw they were pricier then the other brands unless there was a sale going on and they were blowing them out.
Honestly I wouldnt rule out a Toshiba though. They are workhorses IMO.
Dells can be sketchy sometimes too, Id aim for a higher model with them. But both have treated me well.

·
7M till the END
586 Posts
Here is the website I got it from

http://www.deals2buy.com

on the second page.

for $300 more you can get a slightly faster processor, bigger hard drive, and 18.4" screen, I didn't list that one because I believe the 16" is far better deal and I like the smaller screen better, it is after all a laptop.

·
FasterThanASpeedingCivic
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was looking at that MSI but...

I needed it to be a little more heavy duty. There seems to be a lot of complaints on the "cheap plastic" build. I'm going to be carting this around with me, so I want it to be a little stronger!

·
ส็็็็็็&
919 Posts
i hear ya, it really depends on how you treat things. I carried around a $400 acer for 3 years in a backpack and never had an issue, but i take very good care of my computers. The MSI is definitly a step above an ACER so i dont worry about carrying it around daily.

edit: the msi's are aluminum/plastic btw (alteast the GX series is)

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
If anyone needs AppleCare Protection Plans for any mac products, I can give you an amazing deal almost 1/2 retail price from Apple. PM me :)

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
I was looking at that MSI but...

I needed it to be a little more heavy duty. There seems to be a lot of complaints on the "cheap plastic" build. I'm going to be carting this around with me, so I want it to be a little stronger!
I have a MSI and I hate it. It is cheap plastic and the screen sucks, you have to be looking at it straight on or it is too dark or light to see anything. The CD tray doesn't eject properly, I have to pull it open, and the touch pad is coming up in a corner. It also overheats and shuts itself off if I'm doing anything graphics intensive, but I think that's the nvidia graphic card's fault.

·
FasterThanASpeedingCivic
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for that info.

MSI is an ok brand...but I would rather go with HP. Just quality over price IMO

1 - 20 of 29 Posts