Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Entrepreneur
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick background. I bought 2 piece rays wheel for my gs, and bent the fronts. Gave it to a shop to fix it, which they did, only not to securely tighten the bolts on the front left one which caused the wheel to leak air and in turn me bending that wheel again (I have no luck with wheels) anyway, I won't be going back to that place ever again. Lucky for me I did t pay them up front so at least I didn't waste my money! Question is, where could I widen the wheels?

Thank you

·
Entrepreneur
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
^^^difficult question to answer - the two companies use different methods and of the relatively people who have their wheels widened, probably very few have used both companies. regional convenience plays into it too - Weldcraft is in MI, and Vaughn is in CA (iirc). where are you?

and fwiw, i had wheels widened at Weldcraft and they do very nice work.

craig

·
Entrepreneur
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Weldcraft is closer to me, and since you had work done by them, I think I'll choose them.

·
Blood for Blood
8,321 Posts
good plan... I Have heard good things about them

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't know if Kosman will do it, but they widen motorcycle wheels.

Call and see how their prices compare to the other two listed above.

·
Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
4,584 Posts
bump.

So i have 19x9.5 rear in a 42et. can i widen it 2inches to 19x11.5 rear and run 315/30/19? I know it would move my et up, given that 2 inch more would equal 38mm, my et would be 80? correct? adding anymore than 8mm would be too much and would be to "hella flush" for me and would require me to pull the fender. I wish to do no more than cutting the fender lip, I have it rolled right now and its pretty good, but there is a bit more to be gained from cutting.

What do you guys think?

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
Tony, with that offset you will have to beat the crap out fo the quarters,there is no way 11.5" wide wheel with 80mm offset will fit in there,unless you widen both,the inner barrel and outer lip splitting the difference, it will still be a tight squeeze,you'll have to mount the rim on,load it with weight of the car and do some measuring, the car has to sit on the ground with full weight if you want the best fitment.

·
Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
4,584 Posts
Tony, with that offset you will have to beat the crap out fo the quarters,there is no way 11.5" wide wheel with 80mm offset will fit in there,unless you widen both,the inner barrel and outer lip splitting the difference, it will still be a tight squeeze,you'll have to mount the rim on,load it with weight of the car and do some measuring, the car has to sit on the ground with full weight if you want the best fitment.
thank you for taking time to answer my question Stefan, I appreciate the detailed advise. Looks like I will moving on with other wheel options.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
... So i have 19x9.5 rear in a 42et. can i widen it 2inches to 19x11.5 rear and run 315/30/19? I know it would move my et up, given that 2 inch more would equal 38mm, my et would be 80? correct? adding anymore than 8mm would be too much and would be to "hella flush" for me and would require me to pull the fender...

Tony,

adding width to the 'backside' of the wheel, adds 1/2 the amount widened to the offset. in your case, adding 2" to your 19x9.5 +42, would end up at 19x11.5 +67.

my re30's were the same width and offset, but in 18. so my 18x9.5 +42, widened 2" became an 18x11.5 +67. i run a 15mm hub-centric spacer to bring the wheel out 15mm, making the effective offset +52. approx 1/2 - 3/4 of my fender lip is trimmed, and it is a tight squeeze with a 315/30 18 in back. if i were doing it over, i would go 11" instead of 11.5" to give a little more room out back. i don't think that 1/2" gains anything really - an 11" can still run 315 or 325's, and 335's almost always require some kind of clearancing.

hope that helps clarify!

craig

·
Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
4,584 Posts
Tony,

adding width to the 'backside' of the wheel, adds 1/2 the amount widened to the offset. in your case, adding 2" to your 19x9.5 +42, would end up at 19x11.5 +67.

my re30's were the same width and offset, but in 18. so my 18x9.5 +42, widened 2" became an 18x11.5 +67. i run a 15mm hub-centric spacer to bring the wheel out 15mm, making the effective offset +52. approx 1/2 - 3/4 of my fender lip is trimmed, and it is a tight squeeze with a 315/30 18 in back. if i were doing it over, i would go 11" instead of 11.5" to give a little more room out back. i don't think that 1/2" gains anything really - an 11" can still run 315 or 325's, and 335's almost always require some kind of clearancing.

hope that helps clarify!

craig
how you confused me more! lol.. so if i only add a 1.5 and make my rear a 11', could I not run any spacers at all? or run something smaller than 10mm?
Where did you get your rims widen?

thanks craig

Tony

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
... hope that helps clarify!
how you confused me more! lol.. so if i only add a 1.5 and make my rear a 11', could I not run any spacers at all? or run something smaller than 10mm?
Where did you get your rims widen?

thanks craig

Tony

haha, sorry bro!

adding width to the backside of the wheel as Weldcraft does (they did mine), always adds half that amount to the offset. so, adding 2" to my rear wheels (18x9.5 +42), added 1" (24.5mm) to the offset (42 + 24.5 = approx +67mm). the 15mm spacer brings the wheel out a little (reducing offset), making it 67 - 15 = +52 (final effective offset).

1.5" is approx 38mm. so increasing width 38mm (from 9.5" to 11") will increase the offset by 1/2 of 38mm, or 19mm, resulting in new wheel dimensions of 19x11 + 61 (42 + 19).

the +61 offset will have the wheel sitting to far in, probably rubbing the inner fender. you could then use a spacer to bring the wheel out a bit (reducing the effective offset as i did). a 10mm spacer would net you an effective offset of 61 - 10 = +51. a 15mm spacer would get you +46, and so on...

either will likely require a fender lip trim/roll.

any better? :)

craig

·
Registered
13,581 Posts

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
^^^lol. what was i thinking?

craig

·
Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
4,584 Posts
Perfect, thank you craig. do you mine me asking how much it cost? if you dont want to post it here then PM is fine. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
^^^no worries, think it was $225/wheel iirc. don't know contact info off the top of my head, but they had a website.

craig

·
Registered
244 Posts
^^ Geez that more expensive than I thought. Did you have to refinish the wheels after. I would imagine no since they add to the back of the wheel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts