Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
eighty-7t on SM
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where has my coolant gone? like every other day i have to add some coolant to my reservoir cause i get the "bird cage" on my dash. i found out that i had a leak on the radiator drain plug but i fixed it. the coolant is still "M.I.A." i see no other leaks, so where has it all gone??? please help!

-jose

·
Registered
372 Posts
Maybe air was sucked up through the overflow when it was low and it is taking a while to recover all the coolant into the system. If it continues to do this I would suspect BHG but if it only happend once I wouldn't worry. Check your oil at the filler cap and the dipstick to make sure it isn't a BHG blowing coolant into the oil system. Burning coolant is one thing wiping a bearing is another!!

·
eighty-7t on SM
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i had to add coolant several times now. and when i check the level on the coolant, its VERY low. like almost empty. i've checked the dipstick and it seems fine. i checked the filler cap and fine also. if it was a BHG there would be smoke coming out of the exhaust right? none there.....what could it be?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just to make sure it isn't a BHG have you done a compression test or a coolant system pressure check? If these come out ok, a likely culprit is the coolant hoses to and from the turbo. These can leak a little coolant continuosly onto the exhaust header/heatshield which almost instantly evapourates. If it is leaking there you should see a water stain on the heat shield.

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
Yeah, check for leaks.....I had a major leak from the hose on the back of the head that goes to the heater control valve....I thought I had a BHG because I was losing tons of coolant and had lot's of air in the system (waterfall behind the dash).

·
eighty-7t on SM
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont have access to a compression tester. my car isnt a turbo so where would i check for the coolant hoses? meanwhile ill check everything else for leaks.

·
eighty-7t on SM
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i can smell a it but its very faint. now that we are talking about smelling, some times when i floor it, i can start to smell gas. whats up with that?

·
Registered
311 Posts
chrono, it must be a leak, it happened to me... I replaced two hoses and now I think i might have a third one somewhere leaking slowly.

the best way is to raise your engine and you will definitely be able to see the stains on the bottom of the car... so check it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts