Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is driving us crazy. We are trying to replace the #3 cylinder cover and to do it you need this HUGE allen wrench kind of thing. The TSRM says it is "SST 09923-00010". The smart asses at the Toyota dealer say they don't sell tools. None of the hardware stores or auto parts stores have this thing. Where do you get these "SST"s?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
For that huge allen head try finding a big bolt at the hardware store, sandwhich a couple nuts on the threaded end and crank on it with a cresent wrench or monkey wrench.

edit: holy crap I just realize how ghetto that sounds... maybe someone else has a better idea (I hope).

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,080 Posts
hawkeye said:
For that huge allen head try finding a big bolt at the hardware store, sandwhich a couple nuts on the threaded end and crank on it with a cresent wrench or monkey wrench.

edit: holy crap I just realize how ghetto that sounds... maybe someone else has a better idea (I hope).
Exactly where I got my SST.;)

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!! That's EXACTLY what we were talking about doing right before I posted. But still - where are you supposed to get these tools?

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Or you can call this number

That is where to order SST :) Though they are not cheap :)

·
Registered
961 Posts
My Toyota dealer said he can order them in for me.. My dealers great though, they will loan me some of these bizarre tools as long as i have it back by morning incase they need it. They also give me a HUGE discount on parts. I guess when they see its a supra they know ill be back again and again:lol:

Penticton Toyota is great if you ever need parts in the BC interior:)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The allen for the #3 cover is a 14mm... last time I checked on this SST, the price was $70+

The funny thing was that neither of the Toyota places here in the PDX area knew the exat size.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Owatonna Tool Corp makes Toyota's SSTs. I called them up years ago and got a dead tree catalog, or Google gave me this:

http://www.otctools.com/frames-catalog.php3

Some are expensive, some are invaluable. The right tool makes all the difference.

For more generic things like the huge Allen bolts holding down valve cover #3, I go to McMaster.

Last I checked (years ago) the dealers stopped selling the tools, 'cause the car is so old.

Asterix

·
Registered
731 Posts
save the money

Get a bolt that fits in the the head part like a hexagon i believe...i could be wrong but find a bolt(perferrable long (Spelling error))
and put it inside the spot where the ellen wrench would go and turn it with vise grips.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Holy, i can't believe people are having such a problem with finding a bolt. I just went to lordco (local parts store) and bot a socket that had a 14 mm allen key on it for 7 bucks canadian. If you want a picture of it i can post it. Why rig something together and risk damaging them.

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Yea, Bishop has the right idea. I couldnt find a 14mm hex, so i made one with a spare 14mm bolt and 2 14mm nuts. I just threaded the nuts on and tightned them with an impact gun (otherwise the nuts kept coming loose) and it worked like charm.

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the great help!!! Seems like the Canadians have no trouble finding huge hex keys/wrenches and us Americans have to be more ingenious ;). We made our own using the bolt and the nuts. As conundrum says - works like a charm!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts