Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far down on the exhaust pipe should I install my new exhaust gas temp probe. I've heard of people installing them in the #6 Exhaust mainifold also. While I have my "good" exhaust out I also want to install a bung for a wideband (to be purchased later on). So I need a bung for my temp probe and my future wideband.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
for the EGT you should put it in #6 runner. for wideband put it about 3 inches behind stock o2 sensor.

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
Spoolme said:
for the EGT you should put it in #6 runner. for wideband put it about 3 inches behind stock o2 sensor.
I disagree, wb should be placed at the end of the downpipe... i guess it comes down to preference though...

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
Spoolme said:
why?

#6 is the most RICH cyl on the engine due to being @ the inlet of the fuel rail. if anything, you'd want to put the EGT probe @ cyl #1 (hypothetically the most lean cyl...). personally, i mount mine (and all i install) @ the collector....a better "average" of all cyls.

technically the WB should be 12" or so from the turbine outlet. again, i prefer a near stock mounting point....

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
drjonez said:
why?

#6 is the most RICH cyl on the engine due to being @ the inlet of the fuel rail. if anything, you'd want to put the EGT probe @ cyl #1 (hypothetically the most lean cyl...). personally, i mount mine (and all i install) @ the collector....a better "average" of all cyls.

technically the WB should be 12" or so from the turbine outlet. again, i prefer a near stock mounting point....

yep yep!

ideally you would do one temp probe per cylinder and then run something to collect data on all 6 cylinders.

That not withstanding the collector averages out all the cylinder instead of one ;)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I have my egt the turbo housing (hks turbo has it pre-drilled). Basically, stay pre-turbine wheel and you are good. Your choice whether or not you want to focus on one cylinder that you assume to be the leanest....presumptuous imho.

For wb, anywhere before the cat is good (but try to avoid staying too close to the turbo). Focus more on keeping the bung at the 3 or 6 o'clock position to avoid condensation. I have mine in a test pipe.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
i read that it should be in #6 so that what i figured.... :eek4dance
and i read that the wideband shouldnt be to far because the gasses cool and be different or something and that it shouldnt be to far because it takes a while to respond with the RPM of the engine. also i thought it needed to get hot to get a good reading?

what do you mean at 3 or 6 o'clock position to avoid condensation? you cant just stick it in any way? just asking cause im learning and i just bought a wideband.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Spoolme said:
i read that it should be in #6 so that what i figured.... :eek4dance
and i read that the wideband shouldnt be to far because the gasses cool and be different or something and that it shouldnt be to far because it takes a while to respond with the RPM of the engine. also i thought it needed to get hot to get a good reading?

what do you mean at 3 or 6 o'clock position to avoid condensation? you cant just stick it in any way? just asking cause im learning and i just bought a wideband.

gasses cooling does not affect the o2 content.

·
For Sale
453 Posts
Spoolme said:
it means dont put the sensor upside-down (the side of the dp facing the ground) in the dp so that overnight when water condenses in your exhaust it doesnt get into the sensor.

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
87_7MGTE said:
it means dont put the sensor upside-down (the side of the dp facing the ground) in the dp so that overnight when water condenses in your exhaust it doesnt get into the sensor.
That and if you scrape... :tear: though if it was upside down id imagine you guys would have it on one of the dp bends... or atleast i hope.

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just read on Zeitronix's website that you should place the wideband bung at least 16" away from the turbo outlet but before the catalytic converter. According to them, the stock location for the O2 sensor is too hot for the wideband sensor.

·
Chasing Leaks 24/7
214 Posts
AEM says the same thing with their Wideband Kit. I have mine at the base of the downpipe just after it bends to go to the rear of the car. It fits perfectly between the tranny and firewall area. I'll post a pic if you need. I just need some time to do so as I am at work right now.

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
selz202 said:
I disagree, wb should be placed at the end of the downpipe... i guess it comes down to preference though...
Andi Baritchi did a test many years ago on where the WB sensor is best placed for tuning. The sensor in the tialpipe would shift the a/f curve about 400-500 rpms later in the rpm curve compared to the sensor in the stock location.

Also putting the sensor in the stock location (general area) ensures it gets up to temperature quickly to burn off any deposits.

If you're tuning, I'd put that sensor as close to the turbo as possible.

FWIW, I've had an L1H1 sensor mounted in the stock location for about 5 years now with no ill effects. This sensor has dozens of tanks of leaded fuel and about 50k miles on it.

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
al, that's damn good to know. i was going to post that the further down the exhaust the sensor is, the later the reading will come on. if i'm running lean, i don't want to find 500rpm too late. (chances are, i wouldn't be able to save the motor anyway, but there wouldn't be as much damage, i assume)

-shaeff

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
drjonez said:
why?

i agree. way back in the day of the sogi list someone did a test and found #1 to be 40F hotter than #6. however, you have to take out variables like injector condition, if you still have the egr, etc. i put mine in the collector as well for an average. sure, if i had one cyl fail i wouldnt nec see a huge temp shift since im taking an average. but, even if i did happen to put the sensor in the cyl that failed i dont think the egt would react quick enough before damage is done anyway.

as far as wb placement, i have read several tech articles and they do suggest 12"+ from the turbine for the simple reason of sensor life. but, for my purpose i have it closer than that since i run a lot of race gas. ive found that it has a higher resistance to lead that way. to go a step further, i also added a spacer b/w the dp and the wb flange to position it higher up out of the exhaust stream. again, more resistant to lead along w/ perhaps a higher resistance to "overheating".

find out what best works for you and your car. what i do isnt the gospel by any means. just what i have determined to be the best for my purposes.

·
Verrrry nice!
302 Posts
91T4 said:
I have my egt the turbo housing (hks turbo has it pre-drilled). Basically, stay pre-turbine wheel and you are good. Your choice whether or not you want to focus on one cylinder that you assume to be the leanest....presumptuous imho.

For wb, anywhere before the cat is good (but try to avoid staying too close to the turbo). Focus more on keeping the bung at the 3 or 6 o'clock position to avoid condensation. I have mine in a test pipe.
I assume you meant 3 or 9 o'clock, 6 being a bad spot to put it.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
tookwik4u89 said:
I assume you meant 3 or 9 o'clock, 6 being a bad spot to put it.
That is correct. Zeitronix suggests 10-2 o'clock for the reason of condensation.
That's where I put mine. Doc has the inside track on the EGT probe. I agree.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
That was what I meant. You want to avoid the bottom.

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does anyone have a pic or two showing where they installed they exhaust temp probe. I have the kind with a band clamp but the turbo exhaust doesn't seem to have a good spot to mount it on. Should I just get another type of ferrule and drill and tap it???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts