Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
OK, here's the deal...

I read that old thread and saw how they said to check for the LSD option. According to that, I don't have it.

Then I drove down my street, came to a complete stop, revved it and then dumped the clutch. I did this twice and then got out to check the results.

Both times I left two tracks about 8 feet long. Both times the mark made by the right tire was the exact same length as the one made by the left tire.

My question is this, do I have a LSD and the thread is wrong about how to check for it? Or is it possible to produce these results with an open differential?

Thanks

·
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
according to that I don't have LSD either, yet when I floor the can when its wet I leave 2 tires tracks, also it does the same in reverse when the car is gunned.
I even brought my car to the beach where the parking lot is sand, and I floored the car and both tires shot up sand lile crazy.
Now I'm really confused...

Y

·
0 Posts
It's not in the VIN, but on the Door Sticker or Under Hood Sticker(pre '88).

NA w/o sport pkg :G-28-4 4.300
NA w/ sport pkg :G-28-5 4.300
turbo 87-88 all :G-30-5 3.909
turbo 89-92 all :G-31-5 3.727

As near as I can figure, the "G" is an 8 inch diff, the "-4" indicates 4 pinions, and they add 1 to get the 5 for LSD. A two pinion is "-2" and an LSD two pinion would be "-3". There is no dash "-" on the actual plate.

J

·
0 Posts
I dunno.. What I posted in the old thread was found in the Owner's manual!
If that is correct, then I guess it leaves two possibilities...

1) LSD was installed on my car at some point after it was shipped from the factory.

2) I was able to consistently leave two equal tire marks every time I spun them even without the LSD.

Which brings me back to my original question...

Is it possible to leave an 8 foot long burnout and have the left and right tire marks identical to each other without having a LSD?

·
Senior
1,475 Posts
I think it is with an I.R.S. Maybe they both slip a little bit? My type L "82" did the same thing, whereas my dubby's "80" straight axle left two with one much more prominent. Any gearheads care to add to this?

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
maybe someone can ask this in the tech section

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
try and go down a steep driveway and get one wheel almost off the ground...if you do this and try to go...then you might be able to get it to spin only one wheel and not move...when one is off the ground....hehe

I've only done this once on accident, but my readout is the same as all of yours so I guess I don't have LSD either. sucks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts