Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Nautical Blue MR2T
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To give you some info, the stock fuel system can go up to 275 RWHP. After that, it is almost a must to go with EMS and completely upgraded fuel system. 550s are a joke. They run out at around 350RWHP, and for the money, going from 275 to 350 isnt entirely worth it to me.

Option 1:
Do some basic "BPU" upgrades, like simple intake, turbo-back exhaust, manual boost controller, and get to maybe ~200-210 RWHP (from ~165), and then paint it and put some wheels on it. I already would like to get some nice wheels, but my car is a slightly faded and chipped Navy Blue color, and silver rims would best go with that, but Id like to get a silver color, with which silver rims would kindof clash (Id go with black or gunmetal rims in that case).

Option 1.5:
Take Option 1 a little further. Do the same thing, accept go with 264 cams and the popular MR2 CT26 upgrade, the CT27. It is capable of ~300RWHP, in which case at the very least Id need an SAFC and fuel pressure regulator to get the turbo's full potential, along with 550s. I could also use the SAFC on the stock fuel system to dual in a much better tune (after 12 PSI, the stock ECU usually dumps in lower than a 10:1 AF ratio), and get ~270 RWHP with a much cleaner AFR, and at a lower boost than it would normally take on completely stock fuel system.

Option 2:
Id love to have a badass street/strip (I have a lot of Supra friends). I would get a Nemesis Management System (popular EMS for MR2s), GT35R turbo (T67 is another option), no smaller than 850 injectors plus fuel mods, along with cams and other stuff, and go for whatever I can reliably on pump gas. Id estimate 350RWHP on pump gas is very possible, and when necessary or whatever, Id do a built 2.2 liter stroker (vs the stock 2.0 liter) , in which case 400RWHP on pump at around or less than 20 PSI should be very possible. Another owner made 550RWHP at 25 PSI with the same turbo and very similar setup. With the built engine Id go for whatever power level I could without getting knock on race gas. One downfall to this is I would either have to go with a custom trunk mount IC or custom A2W IC. A Trunk mount is easier and usually cheaper, but you obviously have to sacrifice your whole trunk. An A2W would probably be my more viable option, as I like overnight cruises, or to events like TX2Kx or SILV, and would need a place to store luggage. Id also have to build up my axles and CV joints, as they commonly break at over 300RWHP with slicks, and a little higher with drag radials. My biggest concern, however, is law enforcement. I have alread gotten into a little bit of trouble with a completely stock car lol, and with my luck and me often hanging around the Supra guys, highway escapades may land me without a car or in jail lol. This fact worries me and kinda depresses me into thinking its pointless to have a fast street car, and that I should just rice mine out and call it good lol. But I also know that Ill prolly get into just as much trouble with 210RWHP or 270 RWHP as I would with +400RWHP, so why not?

Anyways, Ive been all over the place about this. Im starting to lean towards the big power goals again, knowing it would be a very progressive trip, but very fun. Right now my goal is to have my suspension, intake, exhaust, and possibly boost controller done (and possibly wheels depending on what color I decide to go with if I paint it) by TX2K6. No matter what I know Ill have some new struts and springs, to give the car a nice stance. After that should I think about getting it painted and get wheels, and then go for the power? Or should I just get some wheels that go with my stock color and call it good as far as exterior goes.

Trying to see what you guys think so maybe Ill get pulled to one side or the other...

Pics of my car: www.jacobmcdonald.com/carlife/carlife.htm

·
565rwhp Turbo Lexus
727 Posts
Having had 10 MKII MR2s, I can simply tell you that it is just like any other car ... whatever you do is never enough :) If you go intake/exhaust/bc and make 200rwhp, then all of your Supra buddies are going to smoke you ... and if you do the CT27 upgrade with 550s and an S-AFC/FPR, you will get bored because you will still be getting walked ... and if you go for big HP, then you are going to start breaking stuff and have to spend loads more money.

Best bet IMO ... SAVE money first, buy good stuff. Do things Right, make big HP and drive like a normal human to keep yourself out of trouble. :)

·
Nautical Blue MR2T
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah right now Ive just been donig little things to make it work right. Replacing various sensors etc. My main excuse to tear into the engine is so I can take stuff off and clean / shine it up (you can see all the work Ive done to the car in the engine bay pic on my Carlife page), and if I find something wrong Ill fix it. Im gonna change the transmission oil soon, as Im about to go to NA2005 (National MR2 / Alltrac / Lotus Elise meet in Kansas). But yeah, Im thinking I may go with intake, exhaust, and manul boost controller for now, as Ill be able to put all that to use now. Then Ill save for a while and maybe get the turbo kit and EBC run like 10 PSI to keep within the limits of the stock fuel system, then get EMS and fuel system, and run maybe like 15 PSI. Then do some more reliability mods like axles and CV joints, maybe rebuilt tranny, etc etc. Then save up for a built engine and go for the high powers.

Im pretty confident that a 400RWHP MR2 will be able to run with a 500RWHP Supra, at least to ~120 (top of 4th), in which case my unlucky aura will have several highway patrols on my ass lol... so heh thanks for completing my upgrade path hehe.

(intake, exhaust, boost controller), turbo kit, cams, ems, fuel, and most likely in somewhat that order. Ive decided for the turbo kit first so I can have a mild power increase while Im waiting on the other stuff. And maybe Ill work paint and nice wheels in there, or just wait til the end.

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
Option 2 sounds very expensive. What are the costs associated with each stage of upgrade you listed?

·
turbo
582 Posts
well if you gonna upgrade your going to need i/e/bc so just get that 1st. then when u get more money you can buy the big turbo. 200hp is alot, i bet in OK. Just put the rest into maintance and handling parts. casue those other 2options sound like they will cost over $1000 for a cam, turbo, fuel, tune. Also dont forget a racing clutch if you plan to make more power than stock.

·
Nautical Blue MR2T
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The "Option 1" can be done within a year, including maintenance costs and stuff. Ive already put 300 into the car with just fixing stuff in the two months Ive owned it in just fixing and replacing stuff. Thats including the suspension (struts and springs) which Im going to be getting this summer, and exhaust (which Im gonig to be getting after I get off my deffered sentence :rolleyes: ). Option two would go something like this, figuring that I would have E/I/BC done:

--IC (good stock replacement is capable of 400RWHP, A2W is used for anything higher) <$1000
--Turbo (probably no more than 10 PSI). Most likely GT35R. With manifold and DP <$4000
--Probably Stage 3 or 4 clutch. Probably around $600
--EMS (Nemesis Hydra, probably including options like boost controller, launch control, wideband) <$2000
---Fuel System (850 injectors or larger, Aeromotive pump, rail, FPR) <$1500
--Rebuilt tranny and axles. ~500
--Built 2.2 stroker. ~2500

Plus all the little things. Thats the order I would to buy the major parts. It would probably be a slow process, but buying the turbo first will give me a decent power gain in the middle of it all.

·
'95 SC300 2jzgte/T78
1,717 Posts
Forget the stroker! Just get the Nemesis, GT35R turbo or bigger, top feed fuel rail and 850cc or bigger injectors w/pump and fpr, a good clutch, exhuast.
You should atleast put in some forged pistons imho.

·
Nautical Blue MR2T
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Texasmr2:
Just get the Nemesis, GT35R turbo or bigger, top feed fuel rail and 850cc or bigger injectors w/pump and fpr, a good clutch, exhuast.
That is about what Im going to get. The Stroker will be about the same price as a normal built bottom end, with the advantages of better spool and more power. But it isnt completely necessary for this application, so I wont be getting a built engine until after I get the fuel and electronics to make me capable of that power. I would take my engine to ATS, as its only about a 2 hour drive from where I live, so I wouldnt be paying for shippng.

And emilio, I am going to be doing most of the work myself accept like building the engine or machining the head, in which case Id let ATS do that.

When I get pretty far into it I may end up buying a cheap 4 cyl truck as a beater car. That way I could haul whatever I need to (I.E. engines) in the back, but we'll see how that goes.

·
'95 SC300 2jzgte/T78
1,717 Posts
A stroker is a hell of alot more than "a built bottom end". The only thing need'd are the forged pistons. Our crank is forged and the stock rods are proven to hold 750+hp unless you just gotta have forged rods. A good idea would be to have the stock rods shotpeened and balanced.

Only thing done to my engine is bored .20 over with JE's, block and head decked, rebuilt stock head.

There is a guy, Jeff Fazio from the MR2OC, thats racing his un-opened stock engine except for cams with 220K+ miles and is running low 11's with 400+rwhp.
he is also running a Nemesis.

Just saying that you dont have to break the bank for a 350-400rwhp MR2 that will run 11's and even high 10's.

Gregg

PS, I would recommend sending your engine to Chris Katthage at www.enginelogics.com

·
565rwhp Turbo Lexus
727 Posts
Jeff Fazio's car doesn't have 220k miles on it .. he MIGHT have hit 200k miles ...

Also, in your price list above, you overshot some of the prices. You can get the AEM EMS with everything needed for like $1,500 or so. GReddy IC is $750 or Spearco for a couple bucks more ... A t67 kit with everything you need for 500whp for about $2,800. Fuel system prices, etc .. might be a little more accurate :) But that extra money you accounted for you will probably need anyway for miscellaneous stuff :)

Either way, you are going to have fun :)

eBay intake + custom exhaust + manual boost controller can all be done for under $300 :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
You need nawzzzzzzzzz!!! J/K Seriously though set your budget and HP or 1/4 mile goal first then go from there. You can spend alot of $$$$ for parts that doesn't make sense or you can spend that money wisely. Visit some of the MR2 sites also

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,778 Posts
Dude thats silly, setting a 1/4 mile goal is asking for him to commit financial suicide. I agree, he should set a budget but work differently than everyone has thus suggested. I think the car (and most people with financial restraints) should upgrade the car in groups. Don't start buying any aftermarket parts as of yet. There are still many OEM parts latter mr2's had that vastly improved the car. If you want my suggestion throw on some coilovers and a late model front end upgrade.

·
Nautical Blue MR2T
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Price of 2.2 stroker: 2300 (more if I get rods put in, but I dont really see much reason for it). ( http://www.atsracing.net/strokershortblock.htm ).

Price of rebuilt 2.0 liter bottom end: 2600 (from partnet, you can get a new bottom end for 1500, but this includes nice pistons, and it is all put together for you). ( http://www.atsracing.net/forgedshortblock.htm ).

These are very competative prices from what Ive seen.

texasmr2, I read the forums every day lol. Plus Jeff is one of the ones who recommended the GT35R for my goals.

He has 377RWHP (stock 2.0 liter with like 200,XXX miles on it) at I believe 20 PSI.

And SoAngel, I know I overshot the prices, some by a long shot.
However, for the turbo, I might not be.

Manifold - 1200.
Turbo - 1300.
Wastegate + fabrication - 600
Plus oil lines, downpipe, etc.

OR I could get the T4/T61 turbo. That is 800 dollars and is capable of nearly the same HP (~10 less). The only thing I worry about is its reliability and possibly unnecessarily sacrificing spool...

I visit Mr2OC daily and am an active and contributing member.

And yes, before I do anything Im going to be doing decent suspension upgrades (struts, springs, swaybars sometime after - just enough for a nice street setup).

·
Registered
87 Posts
po kid I see where you want to go with this but I really think you should step back for a second and think about the path you're headed...you're young man, enjoy the car, drive it.

before you talk about making 400 hp, ask yourself if you're really using the engine to its full potential before you upgrade it more. its more of my personal opinion that you are headed the wrong way with a car like an mr2...to me its a car you slap a good suspension setup and some bolt ons and take to the autocross and have fun, not take to the drag strip and try and race V8s...

good luck in any case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
SoAngel said:
You can get the AEM EMS with everything needed for like $1,500 or so.
Any suggestions on where I can get one for that price? I really know very little about EMS pricing but that seems like a very good price.

·
'95 SC300 2jzgte/T78
1,717 Posts
Po' Kid,
Thanks for your input and I as well am a MR2OC member since '98 when I bought my turbo but have been driving only MR2's since '87. So my knowledge is fairly extensive as well.

SoAngel is also an MR2OC member for a long time, whats up brotha!

Personelly I set my own power goals and modded to that theme, research is the most helpful tool that can be used. It sounds like you have a good knowledge base already so I think you already know what path you will take.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
two94gte's said:
Any suggestions on where I can get one for that price? I really know very little about EMS pricing but that seems like a very good price.
Trust me they're out there ;)

Jake,

Personally I think Option 2 would be way to much of a headache for you. In my opinion just BPU it for now and get the wheels we were talking about. For the price I gave you, you can't complain ;).

Forza,
Kevin

1 - 20 of 45 Posts