Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making my own ECU harness and I'm wondering where I can get the ECU-side connector housing for where the engine harness connects into. Someone MUST be making them seeing as MVP, Tweak'd, and etc are all selling patch harnesses.

Where can I get a hold of this part? Anyone know? Thanks! Similar one pictured below:

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,555 Posts
They are AMP connectors.

Toyota part numbers for the gray/yellow housings on the harness that plug into the ECU:
90980-11214 Double-40
90980-11215 Single 40

The trick is finding the mate to those for the single gray tripple-40 unit that attaches to the ECU. What you're looking for is called a "header".

·
σij Analyst
162 Posts
I'm not sure on that connector specifically, but I was able to track down all of the connectors for the JDM VVT-i harness, both engine- and ECU-side.

For the engine-side and even the body-side, I'm sure you know that you can look this information up in TSRM and figure out what the part numbers are.

The ECU-side is a bit trickier. Your best bet is to look up the design/manufacturing drawings for the connectors. Usually in the notes section, the drawings will list the part numbers that the connectors interface with.

I would first start by going to an electronics supply/distributor website like Mouser and doing a wholesale search for TE Connectivity/AMP connectors with the specific number of pins you're looking for: AMP 353027-1. Next, check the drawing(s): AMP 353027-1 DWG. Under notes check out "PART NUMBER OF CAP HOUSINGS TO BE MATED," and use those PNs to find what you're looking for.

Some of the items are definitely a treasure hunt but they're out there if you dig hard enough.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,555 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow, thanks bitshftr! I'll look around for a part number and maybe an ordering method!

Update: the header is AMP's "Pair Mate" series. I think it's this one: http://www.ttiinc.com/object/TE-Connectivity_AMP_Series_PAIRMATE_Connectors.html

Maybe contact TE, since they have info (and are the parent company manufacturer) of the harness-side housings: http://www.te.com/usa-en/search.html?q=120P%2BECU%2BPLUG&source=header
I think I found it at Mouser!
AMP 1-178405-6

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,555 Posts

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,555 Posts
Look around a little. Mouser wants a minimum quanity of 150. I'd call ThePlugDealer and see if they can get them.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,555 Posts

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
Or... you could do what I did and cut one out of a stock automatic ECU.

People give those away!

I did source an aftermarket connector with 18" leads for about $150, but I can't remember where it was and I got impatient.

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
I found my info on the harness that I was able to source:

"Thank you for your inquiry.
I do have those 120 pin ecu header connectors in stock and I've offered them
for sale in the past but I'm not currently able to do so. I can offer to
provide you with a flying lead assembly which would have wiring (the length
is up to you) attached to the backside of that connector. Those wiring
connections would be sealed in our high temperature epoxy as is used on all
of our ecu patch harness assemblies. The flying lead would be ready for you
to install your AEM connectors to complete the adapter.

I can offer to use either white or black, 20 gauge wiring up to 12 inches in
length at a cost of $180.00
The cost would be $186.00 if you wish to have a larger, 18 gauge wire (white
or black) used.

I can make the flying lead longer but would need to know the wire length you
want used before I could quote that price.

Regards,

Richard Welch
Autosport Wiring"
http://www.autosportwiring.com/

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
And, if you don't want to spend ~$5/terminal (which comes crimped with insulated end and a few inches of wire), you can buy the terminals themselves:

AMP 175197-2

Digikey/Mouser have minimum buys and long lead times. Onlinecomponents dot com seems to allow you ability to buy single qtys at $0.50 each, in stock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts