Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious where I might find one of these. I'm looking for the silver colored bumper shields that just surround the area where the exhaust exits at the rear bumper. I'm noticing dis-coloration due to the heat and would like to make sure that my bumper doesn't continue to get dis-colored. Any links would be appreciated...thanks!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've also been looking for something like this. I searched a while ago but couldn't find anything. My white bumper in that area is permanently brownish from the exhaust. I was also considering looking for an exhaust that would stick out a bit farther.

·
Registered
13,583 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Nick 95 6sp said:
When I saw this stuff, I thought you could make your own to fit anything:
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/...ternet_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

I saw this one too, but not sure it would fit a Supra bumper:
http://www.nyxracing.com/images/kansaiexhshield2.jpg

I also saw a couple pics and company names in some old tuner mags, maybe SuperStreet. I'll look tomorrow morning see if I still have the names.
That picture in the second link doesn't make the stuff look too bad. . .I wonder how it would turn out on a supra? It almost kinda looks like carbon fiber :)

·
Administrator
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link Nick. I'm searching around for it online but can already see that my next challenge will be to be able to buy it without buying a full roll for about $60! That is exactly what I'm looking for though.

Steve T.

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
Thanks for the link Nick. I'm searching around for it online but can already see that my next challenge will be to be able to buy it without buying a full roll for about $60! That is exactly what I'm looking for though.

Steve T.

You could buy it and then resell it on SF - the next person could use it and sell it for a little less, the next a little less, and so on until it's all used up. It can be the community roll :bigok:

YAYY for sharing. :D

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
You know what worked for me a number of times, including with 3M: I call the customer service number and say I'm working on an industrial engineering project ...in this case it can be ...let's say a residential fuel cell power pack to use a few techy buzz words... and I need to insulate a section of electronics from a hot zone; can they please send me a free sample for test, about 2ft X 2ft or whatever size you need. They are usually quite cooperative.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Try Twins Turbo Motorsports 562-988-0617. Their shield keeps the bumper from melting with a Burns 5" Stainless Steel muffler under it and 1600cc bosch injectors feeding the flames

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
What do you think about this?:

Regarding melting the rear bumper area around the exhaust outlet, one of the nice design features of my TRD Gen2 exhaust is that the outlet pipe tip is about 4.6" OD after the rear muffler but it has a stainless steel insert pipe in that last section that reduces the inside down to about 3.5" and with that air space between the inside flow channel and the outside surface, the outside does not get hot even after many laps of hard driving and even some shooting flames. An air gap is one of the best insulators you can have.

I'd say if your outlet pipe section does not have an air gap like that, and most don't, you could buy a section of thin stainless steel tubing about an inch larger diameter than your tip and long enough to extend out as far as you want (besides thermal insualtion, extending the tip a little will reduce the black soot buildup on the bumper) and back toward the muffler or front end of the pipe for about 8 to 10 inches or more, either tack weld the back edge to the muffler or maybe make three simple little U brackets that would support each end of the outer pipe over the inner pipe and tack weld those to hold it centered; polish the outer pipe, and you would have a nice looking very effective air gap insulator and with the front edge (toward front of car) open, it would act like a venturi sucking cooler air in from that end as the hot exhaust flows out the back. I'd use our laser marking machine to add a laser etched logo of the "Supra" right at the back for that last extra bit of HP.

·
Administrator
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions Nick. I think I'll stick to wrapping the bumper with something though. :)

Steve T.

·
Administrator
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks...very helpful!

Steve T.

·
Hayai Kuruma!
1,357 Posts
thanks for all the info! I been tryin to figure out how to stop the browning by my exhaust tip on my white tt

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
swearitsstock said:
well... here i found it for the evo... tomorrow i will measure the size of the opening on my evo, then measure the size of the opening on the supra and i will tell u if it fits

http://lancershop.com/customer/product.php?productid=86&cat=49&page=2

if i forget then someone PM me to remind me

so i did the measurements.... its a very close fit! a little bit of bending and cutting may be required but this part could save your rear bumper

btw... im ordering it (my 2 step with ign retard shoots flames and im worried bout burning off my rear skirt)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts