Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Moved to the dark side
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Difficult question, hope some one can help me.
I have an RPS clutch (the twin plate carbon) and the heart got damaged while tuning my engine on the dyno. I have an engine dyno so I was not 'operating' the clutch, only had it on to connect with my dyno. I made 800 Nm of torque, the clutch is rated for more than that (I think it's rated for 800 ft lb which is about 1000 Nm).
I contacted the supplier of the clutch and they are not willing to sell me the hearts so I can have the plates repaired here in the Netherlands. I have to ship the complete clutch back to the states (300 euro) and have it repaired there, and shipped back (another 300 euro). Total costs 600 euro = 750 USD. A little bit too much if you ask me for such a simple repair job. Also it took them two weeks to come back with a reply, so if it already takes 2 weeks for a reply, how long will it take to have my clutch repaired back?
Correct... So first I am looking for a solution locally.
Here is a picture of the splines. I need them for both clutch plates:

I checked some other threads and the splines are 14 x 30.8mm are the hearts of the Tilton clutches the same as the RPS clutch? These RPS carbon clutches should take all abuse you can give them, but they have given me nothing but trouble.....

·
Found E85 NOT in NJ!
5,252 Posts
I know that places like Tilton allows you to buy that part separate to my knowledge. What I am not 100% sure of is how you would swap them.

I am currently sort of in your boat because I will be using a 7.25" triple plated clutch in my setup but the spline count isn't right so I need to change them OR order new plates. I figured changing them would be cheaper and more cost efficient.

What is the exact size of that clutch setup?

·
Moved to the dark side
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That clutch is a regular twin plate RPS (carbon / carbon). If you look at a carbonetics they have a dedicated centre hub that has a big piece to go on the input shaft. This RPS has two separate hearts that grip on the input shaft, and I think that is the main problem with this clutch. It should be good for 1000Nm but at 780Nm what I was making it is already failing.
I mailed with MVP and the only solution is now that I ship the WHOLE clutch back to the states. They are not going to sell me two seperate clutch plates either....

·
Moved to the dark side
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Removed the clutch from the car today and upon closer inspection also found a HUGE crack going through all the pins that hold the splined heart to the plate. Look at the picture:

·
Somebody's Watching Me!
1,875 Posts
i have a used rps carbon carbon straped that i bought for 800 here with a broken pressure plate and when i received it there was oil all over the pucks so those need to be replaced or dried out ,but the metal is good i was going to try and get the oil out of the carbon with an oven but if you want to give me an offer let me know. I have another pressure plate so i have everything to get it going just need to get the oil out of the carbon pucks. only problem is im in omaha,Ne so shipping is probably a lot.

·
Moved to the dark side
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shipping will be a lot less than my current option of shipping the complete clutch with UPS to los angeles and then have it back to here in the Netherlands. RPS will not cover my shipping costs, I dont know why, dont ask me. I'm very interested in your clutch plates only, yes, PM me your phone number so we can discuss exact details.

·
Moved to the dark side
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bought an exploded clutch from a guy in germany, will post some pics tomorrow. Seems the older design (strapped) clutches has way thicker plate that graps the input shaft in the transmission. These new designed RPS clutches have a lot less grip (less thick) on the input shaft, thus resulting in this problem I posted here (worn out splines)

·
Moved to the dark side
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here a quick update. Unfortunately RPS was not willing to help me out. I waited and waited and nothing got arranged, they just didn't care. Kelvin from MVP did try a few things but nothing came out. It took weeks to get things done. In the end we tried rushing another RPS rebuild that I had in the states and that arrived this week! So I can finally get the car on the road again (after six weeks of delay). Now this didnt solve my original problem, as I still have the worn out splines here. I managed to get a completely exploded clutch from germany (for very cheap thank you Andy Kern). This clutch is from the old design (strapped pressure plate). The centre hearts with the splines are a lot bigger, they are 18mm deep while the new plates that I have are only 15mm or something. So the old design grabs a lot more of the input shaft than the new design does. I don't have a clue why this is changed in the new design, but anyways, I fixed my problem, I alone and no help from RPS.
Here is a pic of the two compared.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Gotta wonder about RPS. I had an old single disc carbon back in the day, barely lasted a year at basic BPU. Put in a South Bend Kevlar in 2003, still holding BPU solidly.

"no help from RPS" ... I guess that says it all.

·
Moved to the dark side
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Removed another RPS clutch from an other customers car and this clutch has also worn on the splines. 2000 miles on it or so.... Hope dusty comes with a good reply today.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
i have an rps triple with 2k miles on it. splines are mint.
billet strapless

·
Moved to the dark side
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, whatever happened with this?
They gave me the finger and said GFY. They didnt want to do anything on it. I'm a good customer having at least 8 RPS clutches in various cars (from my customers) but the early release new model of the billet strapless series gave me problems. The other (older / newer / other models) didnt give me problems either. Maybe they're using a new supplier for the hearts now but I'm set back like 5k.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts