Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a company that makes Carbon Fiber brake rotors? and Carbon Fiber brake pads? I heard some company made them for street cars. I would love to have that for road racing...:eek: Even if they will be custom made, I would like to know who COULD build them. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
It's kinda funny that you should ask about carbon brakes, because we were supposed to test a set in September...then November. And now it's almost January and I still don't have them. The guy/company that has produced the prototypes has the rotors finished, but went back to the drawing board to redo the pads. I'll post a report if I ever get a chance to try them.

J

·
0 Posts
JWatson said:
It's kinda funny that you should ask about carbon brakes, because we were supposed to test a set in September...then November. And now it's almost January and I still don't have them. The guy/company that has produced the prototypes has the rotors finished, but went back to the drawing board to redo the pads. I'll post a report if I ever get a chance to try them.
Jeff - Any idea what the price will be on the carbon rotors/pads?

Jeff in CO

·
Pro Formula Mazda Driver
82 Posts
Jeff W.... just a few mods? You've got to be kidding?! Post a pic, I'd love to see the car. My beast came alive on 10:32 PST on Saturday night. Wow, this thing has some kick to it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! these sound awesome. It's good to see Carbon fiber finally making it to durable and useful parts on sports cars now. (clutches, driveshafts, brakes, hoods, body kits, roofs, wings.) BTW, I heard there is a carbon fiber targa top for the MKIV. Anyone remember this? If someone has a contact for it please let me know. Thanks!

$1200 is about what I was expecting for f/rotors. Are you ever coming out with rears? Also what's the coefficient of friction of the pads and rotors compared to stock cold and hot? What's the weight compared to stock? At what Degrees Farenheit are they stable to? Are they internally vented? Any idea on the life/ how long they last? And lastly, can you use them with stock calipers? Mucho-sorry for all the weird Q's, but I like to gather lots of info.:cool: Thanks a lot for all your help!

-SUPRAT

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I'll try to answer a few questions as best as I can. Here goes...

First off, these are NOT carbon fiber rotors & pads. The friction material on both sides is 100% carbon, very expensive and takes months to produce. The rotors start out as Genuine Toyota rotors, then have a channel or groove machined about .250" deep around the complete surface (both sides) and almost the complete width of the rotor. After this groove is cut into the rotor, the carbon material is then inlayed into the rotor. The pads are
being produced using a brand new backing plate, cutting another section out similar to the rotors, and setting the friction material down into the backing plate (stock size) to prevent shearing the top of the pad off. Using this process, the brakes will be carbon on carbon. Not as high tech as F1, but not $10,000 either.

As for the rear brakes...why? The fronts do about 70% of the work. IF these work as planned, and IF they ever make it to the retail market, the manufacturer might consider a rear setup.
I don't know.

Coefficient of friction? Who knows, but I can guarantee it will be better than anything on the market. Testing will tell. Think about it for a minute, Formula 1 and World Endurance Sports Cars to name a few, use carbon/carbon brakes.

Weight compared to stock? Probably a little less because of the 4 surfaces that were machined in the rotors to accept the friction material. But I wouldn't expect much.

What else? Oh yea...heat. Most iron rotors might go to about 1500 Degrees Farenheit in extreme conditions, where carbon brakes should max at 4000. But you could never get them that hot. Any car with carbon/carbon brakes must have a properly designed brake cooling system.

Brake life? Good question...only testing will tell.

Jeff

J

·
0 Posts
Jeff - Thanks for the info and Merry Xmas to you. I can see where that would be an expensive process. I had my hopes up someone would come out with a full carbon rotor for the weight savings, but this setup looks very good, too. My experience with carbon/carbon brakes on aircraft is that they work better at pretty warm temps. Below 200 C or so they still feel cold. I have never used them over 600 C, but can tell you they seem to stop better the hotter they get.

Jeff in CO
'97 TT 6 speed with fewer mods than Jeff W

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JWatson said:
I'll try to answer a few questions as best as I can. Here goes...

First off, these are NOT carbon fiber rotors & pads. The friction material on both sides is 100% carbon, very expensive and takes months to produce. The rotors start out as Genuine Toyota rotors, then have a channel or groove machined about .250" deep around the complete surface (both sides) and almost the complete width of the rotor. After this groove is cut into the rotor, the carbon material is then inlayed into the rotor. The pads are
being produced using a brand new backing plate, cutting another section out similar to the rotors, and setting the friction material down into the backing plate (stock size) to prevent shearing the top of the pad off. Using this process, the brakes will be carbon on carbon. Not as high tech as F1, but not $10,000 either.

As for the rear brakes...why? The fronts do about 70% of the work. IF these work as planned, and IF they ever make it to the retail market, the manufacturer might consider a rear setup.
I don't know.

Coefficient of friction? Who knows, but I can guarantee it will be better than anything on the market. Testing will tell. Think about it for a minute, Formula 1 and World Endurance Sports Cars to name a few, use carbon/carbon brakes.

Weight compared to stock? Probably a little less because of the 4 surfaces that were machined in the rotors to accept the friction material. But I wouldn't expect much.

What else? Oh yea...heat. Most iron rotors might go to about 1500 Degrees Farenheit in extreme conditions, where carbon brakes should max at 4000. But you could never get them that hot. Any car with carbon/carbon brakes must have a properly designed brake cooling system.

Brake life? Good question...only testing will tell.

Jeff
Thank you Jeff and Merry Christmas to you and your family. You have been extremely helpful. I thought they were all carbon too, but carbon to carbon is good enough. Have a nice day.

Does World Endurance Sports Cars have a website about the cars?

-SUPRAT

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Carbon brakes are great but as far as I know they are good for race track use only. Why? Carbon brakes don't grab unless they are hot. On a race track this is not an issue but on the street this will create an issue if you step on the brakes and both the pads and the rotor is cool.
Unless this issue is solved by adding something to the rotor and pads, you may have a problem with them on the street.

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
im replying to this post
SUPRAT

Thanks! these sound awesome. It's good to see Carbon fiber finally making it to durable and useful parts on sports cars now. (clutches, driveshafts, brakes, hoods, body kits, roofs, wings.) BTW, I heard there is a carbon fiber targa top for the MKIV. Anyone remember this? If someone has a contact for it please let me know. Thanks!

Hey,
I was thinking about that thew other nigh. i dont think anyone makes the caarbon fiber targra top i was thinking of having a custom one made maybe even with the buldges for the helmets like the viper gt-r has. Let me know if you know anyone who alreasy makes or made carbon fiber targa;s (removeable roof section)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you make it right, CF can be made stronger than metal, so I don't see a difference in the stock one other than the CF weighs a lot less when it hits you in the head. If you are rolling over, your pretty much screwed anyway with either top...You think a metal top hitting you in the head will be better than a CF one?;):D Time for roll-cage, 4 to 5 point harnesses with race seats and full-face helmet. :)

-SUPRAT:D

ps: CF shreds into fibers when it breaks absorbing energy(hence, they use it in F1 chassis) I would think it would be safer than stock. It would have to have metal brackets holding it on though.

·
Registered
922 Posts
SUPRAT said:

ps: CF shreds into fibers when it breaks absorbing energy(hence, they use it in F1 chassis) I would think it would be safer than stock. It would have to have metal brackets holding it on though.
But a race car is basically a cage with panels on it. From the look of it they could be made of carbon fiber or playdoh and it wouldn't make too much difference.

It would kind of suck if you flipped your car a couple times and on the second flip you fell out because on the first roll your roof turned into confetti.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
greensoup said:

But a race car is basically a cage with panels on it. From the look of it they could be made of carbon fiber or playdoh and it wouldn't make too much difference.

It would kind of suck if you flipped your car a couple times and on the second flip you fell out because on the first roll your roof turned into confetti.

Damn you planning on breaking the sound barrier? I'd still say get cage, seat,and harness combo and enjoy the benifits of a lower center of gravity and lighter weight. BTW, It may shred when impact, but it would still be attached to the car making a sort of woven net. Hey, if it doesn't float your boat, don't do it. Besides, you can always sandwich the contoured aluminum sheet metal between the CF. I would probably get it that way.

-SUPRAT

S

·
0 Posts
It would look kind of weird with the helmet bubbles, but I need them If I ever want to get serious about racing a Supra. Maybe just for track use...

F

·
0 Posts
Scott said:
It would look kind of weird with the helmet bubbles, but I need them If I ever want to get serious about racing a Supra. Maybe just for track use...

Why do you need helmet bubbles? How tall are you? Im over 6ft, and have plenty of extra space, and thats with the stock seats.

If you get serious about racing, you will put in a rollbar/cage with raceseats which will lower you another 2 inches or so, depending on the seat.

Anyway, do whatever floats your boat. But dont do it because you have to in order to race.

-mike

S

·
0 Posts
I'm a little over 6'4". With a helmet on, it is way too tight to be comfortable even down a dragstrip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts