Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any machine shops in the NW who can properly resurface a stock dual-mass flywheel without destroying its rubber lining? Not a single place i've spoken to has got past my comment that it needs to be machined dry.

"dry turned ... why the heck would you want to do that?" :dunno:

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
diesel trucks run dampened flywheels so you might start there.

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
I'm not sure of your location and I know your quite familure with TF. Can they not turn FW?

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They ship them off to have them done, apparently shipping alone is $60!

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,934 Posts
kale said:
They ship them off to have them done, apparently shipping alone is $60!
cheaper than driving to puyallup to get windows tinted :dunno: :bigthumb:

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheaper than driving to puyallup to get windows tinted
that's not accounting for the purple tint I had in the back hatch - emergency situation. :biggrin:

·
4,934 Posts
kale said:
that's not accounting for the purple tint I had in the back hatch - emergency situation. :biggrin:
haha.

speaking of purple tint, I've been noticing a lot of white minivans with purple tint on their windshields. must have been a factory thing.

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In that case does it really need to be turned? Do you have uneven deposits of clutch material?
unfortunately, there is definitely uneven wear on the FW. The clutch disk was a metallic disk which ate through the FW like metal parts eat through a turbo compressor blade spinning at 180,000 rpm.

SpoolinST95 seems to have found a shop local to us that might be able to help out with very reasonable rates. I think i'll try there and report back. :)

·
4,934 Posts
right own, right own

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
kale said:
unfortunately, there is definitely uneven wear on the FW. The clutch disk was a metallic disk which ate through the FW like metal parts eat through a turbo compressor blade spinning at 180,000 rpm.

SpoolinST95 seems to have found a shop local to us that might be able to help out with very reasonable rates. I think i'll try there and report back. :)
What do you know about metal parts eating through a turbo compressor blade spinning at 180K RPM my friend???...haha...J/K...

Make sure that all holes that access the internal dampening material are covered so that metal cuttings cannot get to it and turn it dry as you already said. Any auto machine shop could do the job as long as they are properly instructed.

I personally don't know anything about this other than what I have heard others talk about. I would do a search here on SF's and see what you can read about the subject.

Let us know what you find out about the local shop that might do your job and how much they charge and if you have success with them doing the job for you...

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
Kale,
There is a place I've used twice in Tacoma called "southside" brake and clutch. They did a good job, but you have to instruct them on the process and make sure they seal the inner area well with duct tape. I believe they charched me $35.

I'll pull the receipts and confirm the name and get the address and phone number if you still need this...

Let me know.
Regards,
Daniel

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Chris did you get your flywheel surfaced yet? If so how did everything work out for you???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts