Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forum,

I have a 94 Supra Engine that I just purchased as a back up, from a wrecked supra with only 39,000 miles.

I just want a JE Piston, and maybe a upgraded rod (Carillo, Crower, Oliver, etc) rebuild. With new rings and bearings.

I've looked at Titan and some other people, but don't know who to trust. I am afraid of my local machine shop that tells my they can do it because they build 9-sec Camaros. I am assuming that there is a difference between a turbo engine, and a NA engine.

I know most people want a new toyota shortblock, but I would rather have peice of mind knowing that there were good parts in my engine.

Thanks forum for all your Help!!!
Vinlsol

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would stay away from JE's and Crowers.....

Wiseco pistons and Carillo rods would be your best bet. www.hondaraceengines.com (we dont only do hondas)is where I work, we'd be more than willing to build you a bottom end.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
Brad Mayo said:
I would stay away from JE's and Crowers.....

Wiseco pistons and Carillo rods would be your best bet. www.hondaraceengines.com (we dont only do hondas)is where I work, we'd be more than willing to build you a bottom end.
why do state that he should stay away from JE's and Crowers?

·
Super Moderator
10,535 Posts
I'd like to know as well since I have Crower billet steel rods and JE pistons and have had quite a bit of success with both, I might add.

Ken.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The people I work with have been building race(NASCAR, IRL, Top Fuel, you name it....) motors their whole lives. JE pistons and Crower rods will never go into an engine built in this shop. I trust their judgement, up to you to trust mine:)

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Mustang, that runs a T-Trim Vortech, with 18#'s of non-intercooled boost, and JE Pistons and Crower rods have worked great.

But anyways, where should I go to have a Supra Engine Built??

Brad Mayo - Hoe Much for a Wiesco, and Carillo Rod Engine??

Sidwin - I will call them, I do not see engine building on the website, but I will call, Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
924 Posts
you are a long way from Florida but mentioned Titan,where by the way i buy parts.However if you want a GOOD ,reasonably priced job ,call Larry at Autotuner.407-366-1339.In my opinion he is the best in Florida and there are plenty around.I could give you many examples of TOP shops in Florida sending him their engine rebuilds.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
why mess with a good working engine?? it's the new short blocks taht are having the problems not the old ones...

if you want built engine you should just take a blown motor(piston or a bearing) and rebuild that. should be more cost effective then building out of a perfectly good working motor.

just my .02

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm sure you can pick up a blown block without pistons/rod for less then 6 bills

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the Info, but I paid less than 500 for the block and heads that I have. I just want to start doing a build up on this engine, so when mine goes, I have something to put in there immediateley.

I am just looking for a good reputable shop that is good at building supra engines that can hold 800+hp.

·
Over Medicated
2,718 Posts
Vinlsol said:
Forum,

I have a 94 Supra Engine that I just purchased as a back up, from a wrecked supra with only 39,000 miles.

I just want a JE Piston, and maybe a upgraded rod (Carillo, Crower, Oliver, etc) rebuild. With new rings and bearings.

I've looked at Titan and some other people, but don't know who to trust. I am afraid of my local machine shop that tells my they can do it because they build 9-sec Camaros. I am assuming that there is a difference between a turbo engine, and a NA engine.

I know most people want a new toyota shortblock, but I would rather have peice of mind knowing that there were good parts in my engine.

Thanks forum for all your Help!!!
Vinlsol
You say you only paid $500 for the engine. I'm assuming this is a 2JZ-GE, non-turbo engine. If not you got one hell of a deal. It may come down to what you want from the engine. Are you going to keep it naturally aspirated or put some boost in it? Most piston/rod combos are for the GTE motor and will have a lower compression ratio when installed in the 2jz block, good for turbo cars, not great for NA cars.
Like Terry said in the earlier post try giving AutoTuner a call. They just rebuilt an IS300 and it looks sweet. This is everything they did:
Engine
Lexus SC300 non vvt-i Head
Supra TT shortblock
PTE-67 turbo
JE Pistons
Crower Rods
HKS Carbon Ti exhaust w/Custom 3.5” straight piping
HKS 264 intake and exhaust camshafts
Custom Turbular Turbo Manifold
Turbonetics External Wastegate
Spearco Custom Large Intercooler
Custom Chrome Intercooler Piping
Halteck E6-k Stand Alone Fuel Management
2-HKS SS bov’s
MSD Dis-4 ingniton system
720cc injectors
Auto Tuner Custom Fuel Rail
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Custom Headgasket
Dual Walbro Fuel Pumps
Braided Fuel/Oil Lines
Custom Fuel Intake Braket
NX 75 shot wet kit
NX Ntercooler Rail
NX Carbon 12lb. Bottle
NX Remote Bottle Opener
Custom Dual Purge kit
Titan Cam Gears
Unorthodox Racing Pulley Set
Blitz SBCi-D Boost controller

Here's a pic.

·
Super Moderator
10,535 Posts
Vinlsol said:
Any Other Recommendations??
Performance Motorsports in Austin, TX, I believe.

Ken.

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
Vinlsol said:
Any Other Recommendations??
Looks to me like your in Missouri and as far as in Missouri I dont think there are too many reputable shops to mess with :p . Why hasnt anyone suggested Sound Performance? Lar is much closer then alot of people mentioned in this thread and he is up near Chicago I havent heard any bad things about Sound Performance. So try them, they are semi close and have built a "few" TT motors and NA-T motors all of which putting down monster numbers.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"You say you only paid $500 for the engine. I'm assuming this is a 2JZ-GE, non-turbo engine."

KB-Price, no it is a 2JZ-GTE Engine out of a 97 Wrecked TT. The Lexus Install from auto tuner looks great, I called them late friday, but the guy that answered the phone told me to call back on monday morning.

Kenneth J Henderson - I have the number for them..Thanks!!!

ThomsonCharm - Never thought of calling Larry, does he build many supra TT Engines??

·
Over Medicated
2,718 Posts
Great find. Shouldn't have any problems with who ever you choose. All those mentioned are very skilled in the trade.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts