Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Addicted 2 Power
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of installing an autometer shift light and I can not figure out where to connect for the rpm signal. Any help would be appreciated.

Justin

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I'm interested too

All of my cars have had shift lites instead of big honking tachs. I seldom replace the stock tach as in the heat of a race staring at it just doesn't seem smart. I've wondered about putting a lite in the Supra too but have never seen information on how to do it. You'll need a tach signal, duh, but I'm not sure where it's best to get it from. Look at the MKIV.com instructions on hooking a car up to the dyno and maybe that will be a clue since th edyno needs a tach signal. However I fuzzily recall the dyno hookup using a signal that might not work for the shift lite so be careful.

Anyone else done this?

·
Registered
204 Posts
In your engine bay in front of the passengers seat is a small black diagnostics box. Inside is a port labeled "IGN ..." something or other. It is the large one right on the end closest to the strut tower. Run a wire into it.

stephen

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
FiZZioN said:
I am in the middle of installing an autometer shift light and I can not figure out where to connect for the rpm signal. Any help would be appreciated.

Justin
The older, outdated style shift-lites such as the Autometer requires 12volts. The tachometer signal on newer Japanese cars of today, such as the Supra, operates on approximately 5 volts. Though they will work as Stephen has described, using the more compatible Japanese brand shift-lites such as RAZO,Pivot,Ultra... allows you to tap directly to your ECU. They also offer many other features and are infinitely adjustable, rather just a simple light, and having to change the pre-set Autometer plugs to change the shift points. :)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I'm not looking for a replacement tach, just a lite. If Pivot or others make such a thing I've never seen it. More details please - if it's not butt ugly like some of their other stuff I'm all for it. The Autometer minilite is what I most prefer but it requires a seperate trigger box :( I too hate the pills that the larger ones require - ick.

·
Addicted 2 Power
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: Where to hook up an aftermarket shift light?

choritsu-shi said:

The older, outdated style shift-lites such as the Autometer requires 12volts. The tachometer signal on newer Japanese cars of today, such as the Supra, operates on approximately 5 volts. Though they will work as Stephen has described, using the more compatible Japanese brand shift-lites such as RAZO,Pivot,Ultra... allows you to tap directly to your ECU. They also offer many other features and are infinitely adjustable, rather just a simple light, and having to change the pre-set Autometer plugs to change the shift points. :)
So if I hook it up to the 'ign' source in the fuse panel it will work with the autometer light?

Thanks for your replies.

Justin

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
So if I hook it up to the 'ign' source in the fuse panel it will work with the autometer light?

Thanks for your replies.

Justin
Well, I haven't tried that one but I guess you can be the first to tell us if it does work. Once again.... the "IGN" terminal in "DIAGNOSTIC" box, located on the passanger side in the engine compartment.
I'm not looking for a replacement tach, just a lite.If Pivot or others make such a thing I've never seen it. More details please
Sorry, I am little more accustomed to these items and speak too casually as if we were in Japan. Unfortunately only a fraction many of the Japanese items are just becoming available to the American market, although can be seen and ordered through the various performance magazines that we have available. They are out there, but you have to keep your eyes open. These shift-lites are a universal item so you may find them associated with Honda's, Mazda's and Nissan's as well.

·
Addicted 2 Power
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help guys. I got the shift light to work by tapping into the "ig-" wire in the diagnostic 1 box everything worked great.

Justin

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have an autometer shift light that is all taped into the fues box in the drivers side foot well. Wish I wasn't so lazy and could go look at which wires it taps into. If it needs to be done and I have to get off my ass send me an e

·
Banned
328 Posts
supra400hptt said:
Like the other guy said. IG- in the diagnostics box by the firewall in the engine compartment. Mine works perfect.

hey dude, can you get us pix of ur hook ups and light place ment? i think i would like to get one to go with my trd tach set up!!

thanks,
Brandon

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
RED93.5MKIV_TT said:
hey dude, can you get us pix of ur hook ups and light place ment? i think i would like to get one to go with my trd tach set up!!

thanks,
Brandon
no hook up pics but heres where mines is mounted :dunno:

jay

·
Registered
707 Posts
I just drilled a hole in the bottom right side of my triple A pillar gauge pod and have the shift light mounted there. Wiring it up is a different story but I'm fairly certin it is just spliced into the tach signal. You can get the pinout from either mkiv.com or aempower.com.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts