Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where on the down pipe should I mount my EGT probe, and how? Do I need to weld a fitting to the downpipe or can I just tap and thread the pipe itself?

Thanks in advance...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
I hate to burst peoples bubbles but mounting a EGT in the DP is pretty much worthless. You have to mount it in the 6th runner of the exhaust manifold to get the reading that actually matters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
burnmacs said:
I hate to burst peoples bubbles but mounting a EGT in the DP is pretty much worthless. You have to mount it in the 6th runner of the exhaust manifold to get the reading that actually matters.
Ok, How and where do I do that??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would think there would be a good chance of getting metal shavings on the inside of the manifild. Wouldn't that be bad? Do you have to pull the manifold and make sure it's completey clean and free of burrs to do this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Mount it in the 6th runner of the manifiold. It will be the runner closest to the cabin of the vehicle. It's a total bitch to get to to say the least. That's why most people install it when they go single and have the manifold out. If you get a good line on it to drill MAKE SURE THE CAR IS ON AND IDLEING so all the metal shaving will get blown past the turbos when they are not spinning.

The other option is to drill the DP pretty close to the end near the turbos and have a useless gauge for show until you remove the turbos and can easily get to the exhaust manifold to drill and then have the gauge actually give you usuable data.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
so basically whats teh point of the EGT gauge on stock turbos unless you put it into the manifold..

Im sure you have to take apart half of the turbo assembly before you can get there... any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
I tapped mine into the exhaust housing of my single turbo, right after the flange.
You can also tap into the collector of the manifold.
SH
T78
 

·
Super Duper Moderator
Joined
·
616 Posts
SpdRcr0 said:
so basically whats teh point of the EGT gauge on stock turbos unless you put it into the manifold..

Im sure you have to take apart half of the turbo assembly before you can get there... any suggestions?
If you want a correct reading this is the only way.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
So what type of reading would I get if it was installed into the top most part of the DP???

And what range would I get, eg 700, 800, etc.. what/???
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Ok, i want to make sure i know where you guys say it has to be drilled before i put it in the wrong place. These pictures are off of steve's website and i hope he doesn't mind me using them....


I'm not too sure what a runner is, so my question is, am i going to drill anywhere in the above picture or...



Am i going to drill somewhere on this picture. Well, it would actually be on the other "side" of this picture, if you know what i mean.

Thanks for the advice.
 

·
Super Duper Moderator
Joined
·
616 Posts
WannaBe TT! said:
Ok, i want to make sure i know where you guys say it has to be drilled before i put it in the wrong place. These pictures are off of steve's website and i hope he doesn't mind me using them....


I'm not too sure what a runner is, so my question is, am i going to drill anywhere in the above picture or...



Am i going to drill somewhere on this picture. Well, it would actually be on the other "side" of this picture, if you know what i mean.

Thanks for the advice.
You are going to drill anywhere on the exaust manifold #6 (the one on the far left in the picture) Drill with a 3/8" for the greddy along there.

P.S. if you don't know where the exaust manifold is...I wouldn't be doing this job.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Correct... you will get the most accurate EGT reading if you mount the probe directly into the manifold..

Although, this causes a problem... especially for people that are basic BPU... they dont want to pull the manifold or fuss with installing something like this into something like that ( :) )

Anyways.. people I have talked with about this same situtation say that whatever reading you get.. add an additional 100 degrees and that will give you a pretty accurate reading of the exhaust temp.. Asumming you are mounting the probe into the DP as close as possible to the turbos..

Obviously the farther, the less accurate...
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top