Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
road hazard
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i just blew my front door speakers. time for some new ones. currently, i'm running boston 6 1/2s in the rear and 2 JL 8w6s in the trunk. i plan on installing some boston components in the front. how does 4" in the doors along with tweeters sound? i'm too lazy to mod in some 6 1/2s into the door so i'm sticking with the stock size. i'd like to hear your opinions of where i should mount the tweeters. also, if any of you guys have pics of the tweeters mounted, i would really appreciate it. thanks.

·
In The Sonoran Desert
437 Posts
Guess what? You will have to mod the front for conventional 4" speakers. Toyota's enclosure has 3 screw mounts at 120 degrees whereas every 4" speaker I have searched for has 4 at 90 degrees. JBL I believe had a three hole configuration in their components. Unless someone knows otherwise, you will need to do some work. Trust me, it is not simple drop-in replacement.

Oh and Toyota's speaker is slightly larger than 4" which adds to the fun.

·
In The Sonoran Desert
437 Posts
A previous post had this excellent picture showing precisely the offending speaker and its mount. Does anyone know if this is stock speaker or an upgrade?
thanks.

Eric
95TT BPU++

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Originally posted by SagaSupra:
<STRONG>Yeah i also have that question. I just bought a set of Boston Pro 6.5 and want to install them but i dunno exactly where to mount my tweeters. Plus i dont want to use the Axis mount from the kit. I would rather install them on my door panels...how would i go about doing that?</STRONG>
I have the FS60s for the fronts and installed the tweeters in the kick panel (because I was lazy) and they turned out pretty good. It's also not too hard to install them in the door panels..just go get one of those hole drill sets (~$14) and drill a location you like so that it is just a tad smaller to squeeze the tweeters in (it shouldn't fall out). The only pain in the ass thing is getting the speaker wires to the door panels (assuming you are also replacing the speaker wires and not using the stock ones).

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yeah i also have that question. I just bought a set of Boston Pro 6.5 and want to install them but i dunno exactly where to mount my tweeters. Plus i dont want to use the Axis mount from the kit. I would rather install them on my door panels...how would i go about doing that?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Uhm, i got my Boston pro 6.5 for $325.

Exactly, where can i mount the tweeter for prper imaging? i notice that if i do put it on the door panel, it will be angling down slightly? any suggestions. Also, do i really need to change out my speaker wires? isnt the stock ones going to get the job done?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I went with the Xtant 6.5" component set in the front (with tweets in factory locations) and Xtant 6.5" coax in the rear and a Kicker C10's... Sounds phenomenal and the tweet are mounted in a 'custom' pod to replace the factory grills so that you still get the great location and sound that factory tweets were meant to deliver...

And YES, if you're going to all the trouble, go ahead and run some decent speaker wire to feed those speakers!!!
;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
hot damn, finally got my boston pros installed...and i took the time to remove the door panels and cut holes on them to mount my tweeters...im very pleased with it cause it sounds nice and looks very clean. easy install...took bout 2 hours including the cutting of the door panels, wiring, and all that other stuff.

·
Poser Extraordinaire
350 Posts
its a stock setup

Ting

Originally posted by Eric95TT:
<STRONG>A previous post had this excellent picture showing precisely the offending speaker and its mount. Does anyone know if this is stock speaker or an upgrade?
thanks.

Eric
95TT BPU++

</STRONG>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts