Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't believe I have been a member for 9 years, and this is my first post!

I have an 86.5 Supra hardtop with the Sports Package and 5-speed. Love the car, but it is now in some desperate need of TLC. I bought it 9 years ago with 200k miles, I am the fourth owner but in essence the second owner, as the other two owners had the vehicle less than a month each and put a grand total of 300 miles on the car. I put 5k miles on the car after purchasing for $1500. It wasn't a perfect car, but what I was wanting. Now for a little history... Back in the early 90's, I started buying Triumph sportscars and developed Shipwright's Syndrome, which quickly progressed to Shipwright's Disease. Well, jump back to the Supra, the plug wells started getting oil in them, and having owned another car with a Yamaha influenced engine (90 Taurus SHO), I figured it was time for new plug seals. Having Shipwright's Disease, I could not leave well enough alone to just repair that, I had to go further, since I already had it torn down that far. Before starting the tear down, I ordered all the parts that I assumed I would need, gaskets, ARP studs, hoses, etc.

Well, during this time, I truly became sick and almost died. This was 2013, and took me nearly 3 years to recover physically, and another 3 years to recover financially. In the meantime, my beloved Supra has sat outside, wanting love. It is time! Now, where do I start? The fuel system? Brake system? Engine? Gearbox, Suspension? I'm pulling my hair out!

What I really need, is a good support group!!! Thank you!

·
Registered
783 Posts
After sitting for 6 years (at least from what it sounds like) I'd start by flushing the fuel system. Then flush your brake and clutch fluid since those absorb moisture over time. Fresh engine oil isn't a bad idea either. Just get it running so you can figure out what really needs to be worked on or replaced before diving in.

For the oil in the plug valley it's pretty much always the cam cover seals. Replace them with the Fel-pro seals and don't forget the rubber washers under the bolts. Follow THIS for the cam cover seal replacement.

Oh, and post pics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m starting to follow this topic, because I am in a similar situation. After few years I want to launch the engine in my old project (MKIII with swapped 1jz).

As Captain mentioned, firstly I would take a look on a fuel system. In my case it was literally tragedy (I’ve added a picture) – so my little advice is to open a fuel tank and check a situation inside. Remember that it’s not necessary to replace a fuel filter 😊

Now I’ve started to renovate my fuel tank. Next step will be a brake affair. We could motivate each other to realise our projects 😃

Attachments

·
YotaMD.com author
724 Posts
Baseline fluids (literally anything liquid in the car) and leaks first and foremost. Tackle basic function first, then game plan your budget and goal, then start prioritizing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts