Supra Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
You guys should really search -- there are tons of threads about starter issues related to contacts and otherwise. Check the FAQ section in particular.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
For most of the problems I see in here, the contacts seem to be the problem. Mine however, ended up being an alarm problem. I searched and even asked in this thread if anyone knew how the alarm would act if it killed the starter, but it was only after I figured out the problem, that someone said how it works.
Agree'd w/ quick, my search when i was having the problem pointed me to the contacts. I never could find any info about my cars symptoms though

·
Registered
175 Posts
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I had this EXACT problem with my car this weekend. I've been needing to recharge my car after only 5 days of no use. This time I put the charger cables on the terminals without the key on and the alarm kicked in.

I heard a series of clicks in the cockpit (which was a little odd). After recharging the battery for a couple of hours, I had all of the juice back to the battery. All accessories were working (HID's came on as well), except for the automatic door locks. The engine STILL wouldn't start. I recharged that bad boy more, and even eventually replaced the battery. Still no start.

Finally, I thought it was the starter, so I reached under the car and smacked it with a hammer to jump start it. Once that didn't do it I jumped online and did a search here on the forums. I came upon this thread and did the same process you (Brian) described, and SUCCESS! The beast started right up on the first try. I had a feeling the factory alarm had been disrupted. I'm glad someone else besides myself has had the same problems. I sure feel real dumb after the simple fix to my mistake. Thanks!

Travis

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
xskaboomx said:
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I had this EXACT problem with my car this weekend. I've been needing to recharge my car after only 5 days of no use. This time I put the charger cables on the terminals without the key on and the alarm kicked in.

I heard a series of clicks in the cockpit (which was a little odd). After recharging the battery for a couple of hours, I had all of the juice back to the battery. All accessories were working (HID's came on as well), except for the automatic door locks. The engine STILL wouldn't start. I recharged that bad boy more, and even eventually replaced the battery. Still no start.

Finally, I thought it was the starter, so I reached under the car and smacked it with a hammer to jump start it. Once that didn't do it I jumped online and did a search here on the forums. I came upon this thread and did the same process you (Brian) described, and SUCCESS! The beast started right up on the first try. I had a feeling the factory alarm had been disrupted. I'm glad someone else besides myself has had the same problems. I sure feel real dumb after the simple fix to my mistake. Thanks!

Travis
Glad it fixed it for ya man. I too heard those clicks. I figured someone would need the info sooner or later :bigthumb:
ps, all you did was hit yours with a hammer, i changed mine out :wtflol:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah, a hammer will usually always "kick start" a worn out starter motor. This is a technique mechanics use quite often (saves on paying the tow truck to get to the auto shop) right before they change it out. I'm just glad I didn't get that far into it before I came across this thread. Good info for sure!

·
C.T.H
573 Posts
Hua said:
I've replaced 4 starters on a few of my cars in the past year, all of them would just do the dreaded "click" sound each time the key was turned. If it clicks one time whenever the key is in the start position, starter is dead. I got by for about 1.5 years on my Pathfinder, praying that it would eventually turn over each time I clicked it. Eventually it wouldn't even click anymore, had to get my truck towed home.

the supra is doing this now.....just a single click when you turn the key over.

BUT if you turn the key really hard and fast it starts right up....i know that's a dumb statement but had to throw that in

i just need to get it on the lift and check all my contact and connections. I've cleaned them as best I could when I had the oppurtunity....

edit-i thought this was an uncommon issue but looking around i see it happens more than we all would like :( this sucks

G

·
This really sucks dude... I read this thread yesterday night and guess what happens this morning? My car won't start!!! I jump in my car and after I turn the key all I hear is a bunch of clicks. I've been having the same problems as you stated earlier (battery dying after several days of replacing it), but this is the first time i've heard the clicks. This really blows big time!

Anyways, I'm off to try and figure out how I'm going to fix this... thanks to all your comments it should be less painful.

·
Tuning focused...
561 Posts
MEn

This is WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME;!!!

The car does not cranks, the power lock buttom won`t work, all my fuses are good!!

Damn, I am so glad this forum and theard is alive, I was ordering a new starter bla bla bla tomorrow jeje

·
Tuning focused...
561 Posts
The solution was simple, I jumped it again with Key on acc, I knew it was okey because I had power lock capabilitie from the buttom, cranked at once!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
When the power lock buttons do not work, it's usually due to an uncharged battery. Your dash lights may all be working, but you'll need to slow charge or change out your battery for enduring results.

·
Tuning focused...
561 Posts
In this case as it was the alarm activated, the power buttom switch did not work, with the key it could open and close both doors, I had plenty of battery power, the things was that jumping the battery for charging it with door Open/closed with/without the key cause the alarm to activate, so I never had cranking and power buttom was off ( I never knew the exact combination of facts that yeild this alarm situation) but truly it was easy to restore back, I just jumped the battery again with the key on ACC position, and voila, everythings is good again

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Wow, glad I could help you guys with the factory alarm

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
slither said:
Ryan, its really simple to clean your contacts. But first you should make sure that the starter is the problem. Even if your contacts are bad, they are only 18 bucks(but you need 2 of them).
I am doing a writeup on how to change/clean contacts as we speak.
Your local parts store(pepboys, advance auto, autozone, etc...) should be able to check your alt and starter for you for free, if after testing everything else you come to the conclusion it is the starter.
I am glad I found this thread, do you by any chance have the link to your write up on cleaning the contacts?

I usually only get 1 clicking sound when I turn the key and the car does not start, it will eventually start after 2~10 trys depending on my luck. :sadwavey:

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
nsx4ever said:
I am glad I found this thread, do you by any chance have the link to your write up on cleaning the contacts?

I usually only get 1 clicking sound when I turn the key and the car does not start, it will eventually start after 2~10 trys depending on my luck. :sadwavey:
Man, i never did get around to doing the write up
Lemme do it real quick

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
1.Jack up the car well enough to get under it and have room to work and disconnect the battery.
2.Remove the harness and bolt(s) that hold the powerwire on
3.There are 2 bolts that hold the starter on, one down low, one kinda high and a bitch to get to
4. Remove the 3 small screws(8mm IIRC) that hold the contact cover on

5.pull the plunger out

6.Here are the contacts, you can either clean them in the starter, or remove them by removing the nuts on the outside of the starter. I cleaned mine still in. A wire brush will work good, or a small peice of sandpaper. Clean the sides and bottom of the contact.

7.Reinstall the cover, bolt back on the car, hook the battery back up and give it a try.

I called the toyota dealership to see about buying new ones, they said like $17 bucks each. If your contacts have corroded to the point that its actualling pitting, i would buy/install new ones.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
bump

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
bump for others

21 - 38 of 38 Posts