Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys,
I'm looking for info on converting to single turbo. See, my Jeep is getting a little rough to be used as a daily driver so I've been considering a Supra (time for a new toy - hehe :)). So I have a couple questions. The best way to get big power (550-600 hp) seems to be single turbo, right? How much will this cost? Is it better to start with a TT or an NA? What turbo is best suited to 600 hp applications? Sorry for all the questions - I searched the archives but couldn't seem to find the info I wanted. Thanks in advance.
Chris

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
Here is cost info. The best turbo is a matter of opinion.

Basic Single Turbo Upgrade, no fuel system upgrade (can
only run up to max of 500 rwhp, T61 or smaller turbo)

- Single Turbo Kit $4,000.00
- Front Mount Intercooler $1,700.00
- Boost Controller $350.00
- 60mm Boost, EGT, Fuel Pressure Gauges $750.00
- Misc fittings, etc $200.00
- Twin Pillar Gauge Pod $75.00
- Dyno Tuning $350.00
- Labor $2,000.00
---------
Sub total $9,425.00

Single Turbo Upgrade with upgrade fuel system. Required
for anything above T61 (or if running T61 at higher boost)

- Fuel System Kit (larger injectors, fuel pump, etc) $2,500.00
- EGR block off flange $75.00
- HKS VPC & HKS GCC $1,600.00
- G-Force Computer $1,300.00
- Glove Box Mounting Kit $150.00
- Additional Labor $500.00
---------
Sub total $6,125.00

Optional stuff

- High Band Autronic O2 Sensor dyno tuning $150.00
- HKS SSBOV $600.00
---------
Sub total $750.00

Grand Total (all items): $16,300.00

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Originally posted by XCELR8:
<STRONG>Here is cost info. The best turbo is a matter of opinion.

Basic Single Turbo Upgrade, no fuel system upgrade (can
only run up to max of 500 rwhp, T61 or smaller turbo)

- Single Turbo Kit $4,000.00
- Front Mount Intercooler $1,700.00
- Boost Controller $350.00
- 60mm Boost, EGT, Fuel Pressure Gauges $750.00
- Misc fittings, etc $200.00
- Twin Pillar Gauge Pod $75.00
- Dyno Tuning $350.00
- Labor $2,000.00
---------
Sub total $9,425.00

Single Turbo Upgrade with upgrade fuel system. Required
for anything above T61 (or if running T61 at higher boost)

- Fuel System Kit (larger injectors, fuel pump, etc) $2,500.00
- EGR block off flange $75.00
- HKS VPC & HKS GCC $1,600.00
- G-Force Computer $1,300.00
- Glove Box Mounting Kit $150.00
- Additional Labor $500.00
---------
Sub total $6,125.00

Optional stuff

- High Band Autronic O2 Sensor dyno tuning $150.00
- HKS SSBOV $600.00
---------
Sub total $750.00

Grand Total (all items): $16,300.00</STRONG>
you forgot LABOR.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the detailed list, Xcelr8! Would it be cheaper to go with the upgraded HKS twins, then? How do they compare to singles in terms of power and cost? Also, gritsak, do the NA and TT have the same tranny? In other words, if I started with an NA, would I need to get a TT tranny to handle the power? I would like to keep the car stick-shift, if possible. Will the 6-speeds on Supras stand up to big power for long? Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, I take it that going single isn't a do-it-yourself type of deal? gritsak, you're located in OH, right? Know of any reputable shops in the area that would do this kind of work for me if it's not something I can do on my own? Thanks.
Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I've been looking at the various vendors for upgrade packages offered for the Supra. supraperformance.com has a Stage II kit. Here's how they describe it:
The kit consists of a T60 (our design) turbo kit, APEXi GT Spec Exhaust, HKS VPC, APEXi S-AFC, HKS Type S front mount intercooler with hard pipes and relocation kit, SupraStore.com dual pillar pod with GReddy 60mm electronic peak hold boost and exhaust gas temperature gauges and a HKS EVC-EZ boost controller.

This runs $8800. Does that include the fuel system upgrades you mentioned? I'm not sure what AFC (air/fuel controller??), VPC, and GCC are? Is this a complete kit (besides clutch and flywheel upgrades)? Thanks, guys. Sorry for all the questions. :)
Chris

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
Look again, it's there.

Originally posted by Dukki:
<STRONG>you forgot LABOR.</STRONG>

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
From my reading, No it does not include a fuel system upgrade.

Originally posted by GO 4LO:
<STRONG>Well, I've been looking at the various vendors for upgrade packages offered for the Supra. supraperformance.com has a Stage II kit. Here's how they describe it:
The kit consists of a T60 (our design) turbo kit, APEXi GT Spec Exhaust, HKS VPC, APEXi S-AFC, HKS Type S front mount intercooler with hard pipes and relocation kit, SupraStore.com dual pillar pod with GReddy 60mm electronic peak hold boost and exhaust gas temperature gauges and a HKS EVC-EZ boost controller.

This runs $8800. Does that include the fuel system upgrades you mentioned? I'm not sure what AFC (air/fuel controller??), VPC, and GCC are? Is this a complete kit (besides clutch and flywheel upgrades)? Thanks, guys. Sorry for all the questions. :)
Chris</STRONG>

N

·
0 Posts
<STRONG> Also, gritsak, do the NA and TT have the same tranny? In other words, if I started with an NA, would I need to get a TT tranny to handle the power? I would like to keep the car stick-shift, if possible. Will the 6-speeds on Supras stand up to big power for long? Thanks!
Chris</STRONG>
They have completely different trannies,completely. The turbo tranny has proven to last way over 800 rwhp. :eek:

·
boost is good
772 Posts
<STRONG>Also, I take it that going single isn't a do-it-yourself type of deal? gritsak, you're located in OH, right? Know of any reputable shops in the area that would do this kind of work for me if it's not something I can do on my own? Thanks.
Chris</STRONG>
hey, i just got done installing a single turbo on my supra, and it wasnt that hard really. the only PITA is getting the stock twins out. but after that its farly easy. i dont really think i would trust any shops in the area to do my car, sound performance in chicago isnt too far away and ive heard nothing but good stories about them. i saw that you mentioned a kit that suprastore.com sells. ive never dealt with them before, and i havent heard the best things about their customer service, but i can tell you i called down several times and asked them questions about the install on my single, and they were happy to help. if you have any questions, or need any help deciding what to buy shoot me an email at [email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts