Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
fbody to supra to fbody
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title states, hooked up my BF gauges, like an idiot I tapped I guess the wrong wire, because they don't light up normally (have to put my markers on to light 'em up :wtcslap: ). Any favorite places you guys like to tap into? I have the unit mounted on the driver's side footwell next to the center console, thanks for the input. I tried searching but search is a total pile of crap.

-J

·
Registered
375 Posts
dont tap them into the fuses, that the hack way to do them, get a relay and a fuse for them and use the ralay to take power from the cigarette lights or head lights or something so you dont blow that fuse and cause more electrical problems, or, keep them the same and turn your hazards on when u need to see that gauges :coold:

·
fbody to supra to fbody
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I didn't wanna tap to fuses anyhow... thanks for the suggestion on the relay, etc. I have a 30A one lying around with an inline fuse from when I had my e-fans. Any other suggestions?

-J

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
YOu said they won't light up until you turn the lights on? That's what they are supposed to do? They illumination shouldn't come on unless you have the lights on. Is the gauge electrical or mechanical? If its mechanical you don't need an IGN source. You just need the parking lights for illumination. If its electric, then you need the IGN to make the gauge operate, and the parking lights for illumination. But you shouldn't be tapping IGN for illumination.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
I tapped into the back of the dash dimmer knob, that way the gauges dim with the dash lights. I found a thread on here years ago that had a diagram, I'm sure enough searching will bring it up. I think it was in the MKIII tech. section.

·
fbody to supra to fbody
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to others with the BF gauges, and they said with even the key on, they should light up... I would believe that because with the lights on, they still aren't THAT visible, during the daytime that is, IMO... MAybe I'm wrong?

-J

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
jbsupra89t said:
I talked to others with the BF gauges, and they said with even the key on, they should light up... I would believe that because with the lights on, they still aren't THAT visible, during the daytime that is, IMO... MAybe I'm wrong?

-J
I think the others you are talking to wired their gauges up wrong. There shouldn't be any backlighting during the day... it's day time, there should be plenty of light already. And as you said, even with the lights on they arne't that visible... well, are your dash lights visible during the day? Not really.. if they were then they'd be blindingly bright at night.

·
fbody to supra to fbody
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is supposed to be backlighting, perhaps you're thinking of the link series? Those don't require any backlighting. I remember PMing a guy that had told me, cuz until then I was under the same impression, they shouldn't be on. But apparently they are noticeably brighter, and there's even a function on the control unit to make them brighter or dimmer, apart from the stock dimmer switch (which only functions when the lights are on if I'm not mistaken...).

-J

1 - 8 of 8 Posts