Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know how to get my tires to stick better other than burnouts. im looking for a suspension mod or something of that sort. im currently running a T78 kit and my tires cant hold the boost impact. are my 275/30's wide enough?? first, second and most of third are useless!! im only pushing about 500whp, what do u guys with 650+ do for traction?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Suspention will help keep the contact patch constant, but what isn't there isn't there. What kind of tire do you have? Suspention?

A taller tire(thicker sidewall) of better type will improve the straightline traction, and a wider tire will improve lateral traction(corners) It might be time to upgrade your rims and tires or possibly get a widebody kit with some super wide and tall tires. A better rear wing like the JGTC Castrol Supra carbon wing would provide more rear downforce, and plant the tires better at high speed. There are rear diffusers too.

It might be time to bite the bullet and buy the best tire you can fit under the car regardless of cost. That might mean G-force BFG DR's, or R-compound tires. That'll make your car a good weather summer car though. The best Street tire would be a BFG KD or Toyo RA-1 or something along those lines. 12 in wide rear rim with a 315mm width tire and 10.5wide front with a 275mm tire. The KD doesn't come in 315 anymore I believe.

What kind of driving do you do?

Hope it helps

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
What kind of tires do you currently run? Like SupraT said, if you invest in some sticky tires, traction won't be as much of an issue.

How often do you drive your car? If it's not a daily driver and/or you're not concerned about the price, you might want to look into some drag radials.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Look at the treadwear number on tires you have or are considering. A lower number means faster wear (softer compound) I'm running Sumitomo HTR-Z tires right now, they're pretty cheap on tirerack and have a treadwear rating of 160 which is very low for street tires.

M

·
0 Posts
phamous101 said:
anyone know how to get my tires to stick better other than burnouts. im looking for a suspension mod or something of that sort. im currently running a T78 kit and my tires cant hold the boost impact. are my 275/30's wide enough?? first, second and most of third are useless!! im only pushing about 500whp, what do u guys with 650+ do for traction?
Only factor that gives me some sort of traction is ET streets, 614rwtq eats up my toyo 265mm tires.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The key to getting them to hook is your rear camber adjustment. The only negative thing is you are going to lose some handling.

I just adjusted as much positive camber into my rear wheels as possible while keeping the toe in within spec.

The problem with the supra rear suspension is that when the rear of the car squats the wheels camber in and you ride on only the inside of the tires.

This problem is made worse by lower profile tires because they are so square and will not squish in on the inside like a higher profile tire will.

If you look closely at most supra race cars you will see the the rear tires are cambered out very far when sitting at the line. You will also notice that when they squat the tires camber in and flatten out.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Rich and these guys nailed it. You will continue to fight the battle if you stay on the 19s. If you seriously want to fix this on the street - move to 18s and run the new 18" bfg drag in the rear. And yes, I run 18" dr's - so I speak from experience.

Then address the suspension like Rich said (something I need to do too).

Jay

·
Medium Ballin'
3,024 Posts
no, they just recently jumped up to a nice 18" DR in the BFG lineup i believe. afaik nitto only goes to 18" as well.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Powerhouse racing use to sell an adjustable rear arm kit. This allowed you to change the geometry of the rear suspension preventing the rear wheels from cambering in when launching.

I have been pleading with them to start making this kit again.

MSP uses this kit on Paul's car.

Jay, I got a set of 16" ET Streets on na wheels from Al Rhee if you ever want to borrow them.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,400 Posts
either get a bigger 19 or prepare for the spinning...as everyone else has said, 30 aspect ratio + 19 inch wheel = spinning.

pilot sports are made in 345/30R19 (but you dont have a widebody or 12+ inch rear rims) continental makes a 315/25R19...but lordy youll spin a lot, pirelli pzero is offered in 305/30R19.

these are what i would suggest: potenza s03's are offered in 285/30r19 and 275/35r19, and goodyear eagle f1 gs-d3's are offered in 275/35r19. if i were you, i would go with one of these two tires in the 275/35r19 size. they are decently wide, and give you the sidewall you DESPERATELY need. also both of these tires are amazing. IMO they are THE best tires made for 19s...and only second to the BFG TA KD's in 18 inch.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,400 Posts
the bfg drags are the way to go man.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
T78supra said:

If you look closely at most supra race cars you will see the the rear tires are cambered out very far when sitting at the line. You will also notice that when they squat the tires camber in and flatten out.
Yes, they are negative when sitting, and should go even more negative when the car pushes down on the suspension. Is that what you meant?

Can you get the rear camber to "0" with stock springs? I do know that lowering springs makes it impossible to get it to "0". The alignment shop can adjust the toe after taking the neg. camber out.

I would love to get a set of adjustable or modified control arms!

Al

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I also need the adjustable control arms, we should get someone to make us a couple of sets made of steel not cromoly so it's sheaper, or group buy.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts