Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know which a/r housing to go with, for my HKS TO4R turbo on a auto Supra. The one that comes with it is .96 and that's too damn big for a auto, so I'm going to go with either a .50, .58, or a .70 a/r housing.

I want a streetable Supra with similar to stock spool-up times, but want the ability to take my Supra to the track and be able to do 10's with or without NOS.

This turbo is pretty big, but going with a lower a/r housing will allow me to enjoy my Supra on the streets, since I mostly street race sometimes.

Help me out, thanks.

-Shawn

·
Sudafed can't kill me.
980 Posts
You want similar to stock spool-up times and you're looking at at TO4R? If you want something remotely close to that, look at the smallest A/R housing size(.50).

N

·
0 Posts
badboy said:
I need to know which a/r housing to go with, for my HKS TO4R turbo on a auto Supra. The one that comes with it is .96 and that's too damn big for a auto, so I'm going to go with either a .50, .58, or a .70 a/r housing.

I want a streetable Supra with similar to stock spool-up times, but want the ability to take my Supra to the track and be able to do 10's with or without NOS.

This turbo is pretty big, but going with a lower a/r housing will allow me to enjoy my Supra on the streets, since I mostly street race sometimes.

Help me out, thanks.

-Shawn
Shawn,
Ever heard of back pressure? It is a very BAD thing that can happen if you put a really small exhaust housing on a big turbo. HKS offer .81 / .84 / .96 / 1.15 exhaust housings for a reason.

You want your cake and eat it too..... you cant have big power and no lag...

Why are you worried about lag anyways? Have ever ridden in a t78 or a to4r with a .96 a/r ?

I think the .96 is perfect for street but since I am going to race the Supra alot more this season I will get the .84 dual port.

take care,
nils

·
Registered
286 Posts
Shawn..
what's up..I used to be in Sac. I have a T78 with auto tranny. Are you getting upgraded stall and tranny??? Or are you planning to stay with the stock stall and tranny for sometime??

IMO..if you want to stay with stock stall and tranny go with the smaller a/r...IMO .58 would be small enough to get good spool and response at low rpms and once you upgrade the tranny you can always go with a larger a/r to get more hp out of your turbo which if you go with a T04R...you can get a lot. With my t78, powerbraking it, I get a whopping 0psi of boost off the line....and if you want to drag race the car and be competitive...the smaller a/r is a must. Like I said .58 a/r would work great and I think you would be happy with it.

If your going to upgrade stall(4000) and tranny, go with the larger a/r(.70-.84)
Good luck man...email me if you any ?'s

SH
t78

E

·
0 Posts
Where you can find a .5 /.58 or .7 housing for a T04R?I understand HKS only offer .81 as the smallest housing ??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HoustonSC300 - WOW, you were from Sac, cool. Anyways, I do plan on staying with the stock stall and tranny for sometime. The next thing after getting the single is a high stall, then tranny, and fuel. I'll probably end up getting a .50 for everyday daily driving and also get the .58 for track use. Once I upgrade the rest, I'll get the .70 a/r housing for track use. I like the fact that you can upgrade the a/r housings on this turbo.

EVO5Driver - http://www.suprastore.com/hkst0exhous.html
HKS just started making other a/r housings for this turbo, I guess for those who have auto Supras and the lag issue with the .81 a/r. This made me actually buy this turbo kit over the rest of them, because of the ability to change a/r housings really easily. I was going to go with the HKS twins, but I don't think it would be wise on a auto and the price was a little bit more than what I paid for the TO4R kit.

-Shawn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts