Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which BOV would you choose to support a T66? How about a T72?

The best BOV sound is no BOV sound, in my humble opinion. Whatever I get will have a filter mounted on it to help muffle the sound.

I'm looking at the HKS SSBOV and the Turbonetics Godzilla most closely, because RPS suggests them and they look like they can handle the volume. However, I'm open to any and all suggestions!

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
You said you wanted a bov w/no sound...well, you picked two of the loudest BOV's around!!

Why not look at the Greddy Type-R?

Jay

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
yea i too suggest the greddy type R or the HKS racing BOV II most likely what your really looking for !

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. This is why I love this board and the mkiv list so much. I'd gotten so much conflicting information from believable sources that I couldn't sort it out.

It sounds like I should get a Greddy Type R. Does anyone have problems with the Type R leaking boost? Can it also be used if I decide to swap in a smaller turbo (like a SP60 or SP63)?

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
The HKS SSBOV is a bit too small for your application. Ive also heard that the Turbonetics BOV is not all that great quality wise. Id get the greddy type R, or the HKS racing BOV II.

Lar

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm getting the SP-66 put on my Supra and Lar is going with the HKS racing bov. I can't wait to see what it sounds like. ;)

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: Mikey D. ]

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have run 30+ psi of boost and my 150 shot and never had a problem with the Type-R leaking... It isn't however quiet, but I don't think anything that will handle a turbo that big is going to be.

-Ethan

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
I've got a PHR Stage 2+ turbo (similar to T66 power) and I have 2 HKS SSBOV's, they sound SICK when you let off and they are great quality...

·
More torque than you
120 Posts
You want the type Greddy Type R. It has seen rain many times, still looks like new. Sounds mean too. I can record it if you want. I've had this BOV with a 60 series turbo and now with a SP63. My car sees 25psi everyday, have not had a single problem with it. Plus it's big and flows a lot more than any other BOV it seems. If you really want you can plumb the outlet of the bov before the turbo to keep the turbo spooled, not sure how well it would work though. I think greddy sells a "return kit" for it.

Good luck

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is Tial making a BOV for mkiv's yet, their bov for the dsm's is of great quality and gets nothing but good reviews.

·
462 Posts
Originally posted by Ethan:
<STRONG>I have run 30+ psi of boost and my 150 shot and never had a problem with the Type-R leaking...
-Ethan</STRONG>
What do you mean by BOV leaking...?

I can see some oil residue on the stock BOV at BPU boost levels 16-19psi. Is this the leakage you are talking about?

Thanks!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BOV's are pretty generic, the only real fitment issues are actuation pressure and volume, as well as availability of return kits. Quality and sound are another story.

Someone could fit a Tial BOV to a Supra by welding a flange to a hardpipe or similar opportune location. However, the Tial BOV doesn't have a return kit or (important for me) any way of fitting a filter over the BOV output.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts