Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

just wanted to ask u guys out there with super modified supra's (as I'm waiting to join the club :p) what ecu's do you use? Cause I have been thinking of the Apex Power FC but I realised that the supra uitlises a map sensor and the power fc relies on the air flow meter? is that correct?

Anyway, I'm from Australia so I hope I don't get confused with you american systems and NO, I am not considering the motec, however good it is, I'm not prepared to spend $3k for an ecu!

Any advice appreciated.. thanks!

- M

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
Depends what you mean by super modified Supras. I'd think that mine is super modified, and I'd go with the AEM and never look back. I'm not a fan of trying to fool the stock ECU. Either it works for you or you work for it. Depends which route you want to go, and again, what's the definition of super modified.

Eric

4 digit HP

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess super modified would be at least 450kw @ rear wheels.. somewhere in the vicinity of 700bhp at the engine? like big ass turbo, external wastegate, big boost, etc..

when u say AEM - do u mean the factory ecu?? I didn't think a factory ecu could tune and handle a car up to 450kw or so?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still like the HKS VPC and Apex S-AFC combo with the stock ECU alot but I'm having more and more luck with the AEM EMS as well. The VPC/AFC is very easy and will make good power. The AEM is much more complicated but it seems like most of the problems with it have worked themselves out. What it comes down to is how much control you are willing to take over your motor. If you want to plug it in, push a couple buttons, then drive it all you want......go with the VPC/AFC(keep in mind you'll need a raised rev limit ECU as well). If you want to make max power and are willing to put in the time.......AEM EMS is the thing for you.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the responses guys. would anyone know the retail price for the stand alone AEM EMS??

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually the Power FC uses the factory pressure sensor, not an air flow meter. The US spec Supra uses the Air Flow Meter, where the Jap spec uses the pressure sensor. If you plan on building a high power engine then you will need the AEM, untill ya'll aussies make the data logger box for the power FC.

·
NSW supra club Member
475 Posts
you want 450kw at the rear but dont wanna spend for a decent ecu???
well,how are you gonna afford the 450kw then?
those two things dont match up.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pardon me.. but I dont think 450kw warrants a motec. power fc would be more than able to accomodate that "lowish" power level. but I just wanna see what my options are, that's all

1 - 12 of 12 Posts