Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the uk (not my fault) and i have come accross a mk3 with a targa roof (rare over here) and it is a cheap buy due to a knackered engine. It currently has a 2ltr twin turbo, but i don't want to repair it, i want to replace it with something that has gut's. Any suggestions considering i am poor, but fairly handy with a spanner.
I was thinking maybe using a 7m-gte and coupling the twin turbo's to it?
Is a 1jz-gte motor an easy swap, although they are hard to find here.
What about a 2jz??

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since your in europe, how about a porsche twinturbo flat six. Seriously how "poor" are you? No matter what kind of engine you swap its going to cost a good amount of cash. My advise would be to take a look at online importers for front clips for a rough estimate on how much its going to cost you to start this project.

·
Registered
361 Posts
yeah i think a 2JZ or even a 1JZ is definately out of the question.

How about replacing it with the 1GGTE and then saving for maybe a 7M or 1JZ later on...

a 7M na/turbo might also be a sensible option for now...

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
7m. They're readily available and relatively cheap by comparison to the JZ engines, and unless you're building for over 600-700 horsepower, it's not going to make a difference.

As for putting twin turbos on the 7m, you'd have to fabricate a custom setup. If you're suggesting the 2jz sequential turbos, they won't fit without a custom manifold being fabricated.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, When i say poor, i meant that to stop people telling me a 1000bhp blueprinted 2jz is the only way to go. I am aware this is gonna cost, but was considering the bhp against cost idea. I think i may go for a 7m-gte and tune it. Have many people done a 2jz-gte swap in a mk3?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 1G-GTE (2.0L TT) is probably what you have. Performance-wise, it should be about on a par with the NA 7M-GE.

A 7M-GTE (3.0L turbo) shoud be reasonable to swap in, and relatively easy to get ahold of, and relatively cheap. You're looking at a signifigant performance increase, (230 BHP stock) and 350 or so rwhp is attainable without going on a bank robbery spree. :)

A 1JZ-GTE (2.5L Twin Turbo) will cost a bit more to get, but should also be available. relatively easily. You're looking at 280 HP in stock trim, and lots more is available.

1 2JZ-GTE (3.0L Twin Turbo) will cost a fair amount more, and they're in high demand, so they can be hard to get. 320 HP in stock trim, and the sky's the limit with add-ons. Not an easy or cheap swap, you're probably better off looking for a Mk4 Supra that already has one by the time you're done.

I'm looking to do a swap myself, and I'm choosing the 7M-GTE. My reasoning is that the motor is relatively common, and won't be something completely foreign if I want an oil change or timing belt done on it. It's also capable of my *personal* power goals, without too much of a stretch, and I can still take it in to the shop for maintenance work without worrying that they've just installed a 7M part on my 1JZ.

Look into what's avaiable near you, and how much it costs. Expect that you'll end up paying some more for labour and miscelaneous stuff that crops up in a swap, and decide what you can afford.

Or, rebuild and see what you can upgrade on the 1G-GTE for the same price.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good advice, that i think i will take. I was expecting to put a 7m-gte in there in the end, just didn't want to find out that i made a big ball's up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts