Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How loud are the different exhausts on a N/A? I'm considering a Greddy MX, Apexi N-1 and HKS Super Dragger. I was originally leaning towards the Super Dragger, everyone says it sounds awesome on a N/A but I'm concerned that it might be incredibly loud. (I live in a residential area and already have grumpy neighbors from the race exhaust on my 280Z.) How happy has everyone been with the MX or N-1? How do they sound? I've heard of people having the Greddy MX exhaust rusting out. . .any inupt on this? Any other comments/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

L

·
0 Posts
my choice

I am getting the GReddy MX next week..i got it from Suprastore...It is not too loud(5/10) from what i heard and u gain good HP..the Apexi N1 is too loud(7/10)...personally i don't like it too loud....2/10 is the scale of the Stock exhaust....
looking for a good sound at iddle MX is the one to go for....

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm considering the Greddy MX on mine, I noticed that you made mention of the Super dragger...would you have any type of back pressure problem with that exhaust? I would rather have the Super Dragger but I wasnt sure about the back pressure issue. and also would you have to use a resonator on it?

C

·
0 Posts
Wish I could tell you what the GT-spec sounds like but Suprastore hasnt shipped it...............I ordered 3.5 weeks ago.:mad:

Carlos

·
ABM
497 Posts
suprafly79 said:
apexi n1 is the way to go.......with 14+ hp increase
you cant go wrong........

not trying to start some flames but isnt 14hp alot to get from just an exhaust? i put my GT-Spec on the dyno and only got an extra 5 horses from it and it utiliezes a straighter pipe than the N1. by the way Carlos...the GT-Spec sounds awesome!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
sooprastah said:

not trying to start some flames but isnt 14hp alot to get from just an exhaust? i put my GT-Spec on the dyno and only got an extra 5 horses from it and it utiliezes a straighter pipe than the N1. by the way Carlos...the GT-Spec sounds awesome!!

Sure I'm not the only member that heard this
there a few other posts the lists the n1 with 14+
dyno proven hp gains.....I hope the magazine articles and
dyno are not false.........

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
An older Import Tuner did a dyno run for a Supra with a few mods from Apexi that were the Apexi Super Intake, the Apexi N1 exhaust and an Apexi S-AFC. I think the filter went on first and gained something like 4-5 horses at the wheels (these are off a dyno they run them on), next they did an exhaust i believe and i can remember that that one WAS at like ~15 RWHP 14 sounds about right, and last they did the S-AFC with was like another 5 horses at the wheels. I believe it ended at 199 RWHP after all the mods. I might still have the import tuner around here somewhere if i find it ill post the article. The only thing im not sure of were the other the intake and the S-AFC times but i remember the exhaust being ~15 RWHP because it just shocked me to see it. Also i dont remember if they tested an Auto or a Manual because Oliver had 199 RWHP a while back with similar mods so that could be where im getting that number from.

Later

·
Registered
384 Posts
let sit back and analyze all the claimed hp increase especially 14 hp increase. if you look at the dyno chart, i guarrantee you that the gain will be a sharp rise in the power curve ( more like a spike) at a high rpm. is it worth to lose low end and mid range power, of which you utilize them most of the time. how often you do you keep your rpm at 6000 constantly?

the concern is most of the exhaust systems in the market are tuned for the tt. tt produces a massive amount of exhaust air compare to the na; therefore requires a bigger pipe. when the na is installed with the exhaust tuned for the tt, the piping is too big, which in turn slows the velocity of the exhaust air, which in turn, reduces the "suction" affect causes by the exhaust gas of the preceding cylinder; hence, reduces power in the low end and midrange.

I hope that in the near future, there will be more of the exhaust system made and tuned for the na in similar design as for the tt but smaller piping which by the way, will reduce weight.

does anyone know there's such a system, besides the MX, which i think it follows a 1 to 2 and back to 1 configuration similar to that of the stock. any system out there that is just a one pipe design with one resonator and one muffer straight through. let me know. thanx.

·
road hazard
452 Posts
greddy sp has a very nice low bass sound during idle and is very quiet at cruising speeds. but at WOT, it sounds just right. nothing annoyingly loud at all. not too loud and not too quiet.

but if you're looking for something thats loud, then the greddy sp isn't recommended.

B

·
0 Posts
I have the apex N1 on my tt supra, so this might be different than on an na, but i am almost positive i didn't get a 14 hp gain from the exhaust, that amount would be noticably different, I didn't notice a thing different after the exhaust was put on. Also, the N1 is not that loud at all, actually I would have rather had a louder one. I saw at suprastore that it was ranked 7/10, but i am going to have to disagree with that. It isn't THAT loud, but it still sounds and looks great.
Chris

B

·
0 Posts
Try This?

I know this one is off the wall, but my Toyota dealer told me to try the Borla Catback exhaust. He said it good and deep, and its also not to loud. Check it out and let us know.
C.B.B.;)

S

·
0 Posts
Hey Biddle's, I have the borla catback, with the 2nd cat removed. I absolutely love the sound of it. I can't really compare it to stock, since it had this on it when I bought the car. It's not too loud either, unless I'm up above 4500 rpm or so. It sounds like no other car I've heard on the road too. :D

·
0 Posts
anyone tried the atr exhaust ?? I know its for a turbo but can't u just bolt it onto the exhaust pipe or are they different exhausts ?? I've heard it is pretty loud which is what i'm lookin for ?? any suggestions ??

·
ส็็็็็็&
919 Posts
TRD!!!!

or if your going for the loud factor all you need is this..

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
::sigh::

hey guys, please dont ask about the dragger, just read my review ;) go back in the listings a bit. its called "attempting to do a review on the HKS super Dragger" i wrote a friggen book in there. my AT shift patters has come back to normal, but after start up, it'll shift more agressively after i floor it once...wierd but thats cool

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
::sigh::

hey guys, please dont ask about the dragger, just read my review ;) go back in the listings a bit. its called "attempting to do a review on the HKS super Dragger" i wrote a friggen book in there. my AT shift patters has come back to normal, but after start up, it'll shift more agressively after i floor it once...wierd but thats cool. i dont know much about the other exhaust.
the N1 gained 14RWHP in addition to what the air filter gave. choose the style you like first. narrow it down. if you like sideways exhaust, check out those. if you like the striaght back design of the tip, do that. the hp increase is only a few in most cases. but if you put an air filter on, the horses you gain in addition to what you gain from the filter will be a greater number. if you follow that.
narrow down what YOU LIKE, because performance is very similar.
and for lack of back pressure, just get an apexi power intake :D (or other intake) that extra airflow only makes the loss very little, and only below 2.5k rpms. read my review. but actually the dragger isnt as loud as i thought it was. i got picked up from my weekend trip by my dad in it and its a fairly subdued rumble, slightly intrusive at times but not too bad. another thing. the power DOES COME ON SOON ENOUGH. i powerbraked to 2.5k rpms from a stop and left decent (equal)marks from both tires(bout a foot-2ft.)( do i have lsd then or no?) so the power IS coming on that early, coupled with an air intake. before i couldnt get any spin whatsoever. hope this helped.
Bob
93.5 NA auto
Apexi Power Intake
HKS Super Drager

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the input! Have decided to give the Super Dragger a try! The neighbors will just have to deal with the noise. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts