Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be keeping the car on stock twins untill I do a small single. Anyone that can educate me on major pro's and con's of each or answer any other questions please do. Is there a reason nobody uses the Apexi or Biltz?

Apexi- $1290 Size? RWHP? What upper pipes do you use?

Blitz- V Spec $1550 Size? RWHP? This is a new kit, correct? The one on MVP is discontinued is what I have been told.

Greddy-
3 Row $1780
4 Row $2280 Can this be used with stock twins? Probably overkill for me?

HKS-
$2360- Requires extra pipes for stock twins. Lots of $$$
$1200- Only good to 550rwhp, is this a waste of money?

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
get the greddy 3row or blitz fmic (the new style)

hks ==too much money
apex=ok but i dont like it

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
dont forget about the new one thats out

the ADFX 3 row FMIC!

www.adfxracing.com there are a few people on the board with them already, and when i get my FMIC, thats what im getting

·
10,459 Posts
first off i was going to get the ADFX 3 row FMIC but i was told by many tunner shops not to get it ...why i dont know but better safe than sorry!

as for what i have the greddy 3row ..love this intercooler but the instructions really stink ..if you get this fmic feel free to email me ill help you with the install as much as i can !

as for the apexi unit again i was informed by many tunner shops from cali to ny not to get it! its smaller than the others and you need to get parts to complet it when all that is done it will cost more than most 3rows! for the money i dont think its worth it unless you get it used , if your looking to save some money on a new fmic email me i can help you out !really !
93.5auto said:

Which one do you have? Why don't you like the Apex?

Whit

M

·
0 Posts
Greddy 3 row for anything from BPU to T-66, anything bigger I'd go w/ the HKS.

·
10,459 Posts
update

update...... stay away from the new blitz fmic unit its a pain in the azz to install and you need to hack up your car inside the fender wells and the front bumper :( to install it
it's not a very easy unit to work with, the instructions are ok but the install takes way to long unlike the greddy unit!

S

·
0 Posts
hey i thought that the adfx fmic looked like it would be a good buy. and it is not a three row ic its a one row they have all the info on it on the page. my only question is this, has anyone seen it or had one installed because i think it looks like a great ic? someone prove me wrong because i dont want to buy an ic that is crappy.:piss: :fight:

·
Registered
154 Posts
GReddy 3-row is best, IMO. the 4-row is overkill if you have anything less than a medium to large single. i was just informed that SW ran the GReddy 3-row on his T72 Supra that ran a high 9. so yes, the GReddy is a very capable IC, yet a good combo with the stock twins too.

but i dont really like how the GReddy 3-row FMIC looks though (not like that really matters ;) ). i think the best looking FMIC is the HKS Type-S. but it does not come close to the potential performance of the GReddy 3-row. :)

W

·
0 Posts
I have the Apex and really like it. The fins are much more durable than the Greddy. Every little rock seems to puncture the greddy fins.

Ranger has a point though. With the additional cost of the upper pipes you really aren't saving much. I already had the HKS hard pipe kit so it wasn't an issue for me.

However, in my opinion I would buy the apex again but the greddy 3 row would be a close 2nd.

The apex is easier to install but does hang a hair lower. That is the only drawack with the apex.

·
Turbology
434 Posts
What about XS Engineering? I have heard both good and bad things about their FMIC? I believe MVP no longer carries them on account of their shoddy quality; but some people have told me that they are the best performance value for the dollar? I think they include a full set of hardpipes as well?
http://www.xs-engineering.com/intercooler_kit_supra.html
We absolutely do not recommend this FMIC. We have had 2 delivered to customers that had fitment problems and XS did nothing to support them or us. Their welding looks like it was done in the back of Jim Bob's barn. Also, it comes with ugly black wrinkle coating instead of beautiful polished pipes like all the other kits.

S

·
0 Posts
I agree w/most of your comments, the welds are ugly too.
However, Mark Cooper ran a 10.20 @ 133mph w/SP63 NO Nos and stock long block, it DOES perform.

I have the Apexi, and it works fine for me...although I wouldn't mind a polished one...

Roberto

Yang said:

Dont get the Xs engineering FMIC. The piping is made out of heavy black steel. The pipe that goes to the throttle body clears the pulley underneath by like 2mm on mine. I think it does bang the pulley on hard acceleration judging from the rust mark. Its just a fugly kit. The core size is 24x10x2.75 which is like the smallest core size. The HKS type S has the same core volume but a bigger frontal area which = better cooling. Dont get the xs FMIC.

I

·
0 Posts
4 row greddy, you can maybe get it from SPE for about 1,600 to 1,700, people dont know...

·
10,459 Posts
hes going to have asmall single theres no need for him to spend an extra 300-400 bucks on a 4row when a 3row will work just as good!
InFo TecH said:
4 row greddy, you can maybe get it from SPE for about 1,600 to 1,700, people dont know...

S

·
0 Posts
on that greddy 3-row is it easy to install or is it like the blitz which i hear is a bitch to install?

·
boost is good
772 Posts
its pretty widely accepted that the greddy 3row is best all around fmic...it comes as or more complete then any other fmic...everything is polished..fitment is perfect...its good for more power then most people will be putting out. cost is reasonable too at around 1400.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
If the GReddy fins bend easier than the Apex'i, then the 3 Row cools better.

Thicker fins may hold up under gravel invasion, but you need thin fins to dissipate the heat quicker, not big thick fins to soak up heat.

D

·
0 Posts
I would go with APEXi, it has the best durability, is supposed to be more efficient than other core designs, and was enough to make 708 rwhp from a T66 on my car and trap 137 mph. It is also quite a bit less expensive than other intercoolers. It does not come with upper hard pipes, which makes it easy to use with stock twins, but is annoying for people with single turbos, as they have to use a HKS hard pipe kit and have one piece made, near the throttle body.

-warren

1 - 20 of 45 Posts