Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm 2jz swapping my 1971 240z and I'm doing the fuel system now, and I'm looking for a good inline fuel pump that will let me run it NA now and medium power later. I'm thinking about the AEM 50-1005 but my biggest fear is that it might be too high pressure for the stock system. I like this pump cause I can use my AN fitting on it and have everything nice and clean, but before I spend 150 dollars on the pump id appreciate it if someone told me if it's a good idea. I appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I use that as my primary pump on my 13b s369sxe build. It has worked great over the past few years.

However, I believe most guys prefer and intank setup for their supras.

Reactions: EndlessMe

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I would use an in-tank pump if you can. The fuel keeps the pump cool. There are a lot of places that make EFI conversion fuel tanks, but that may be mostly for muscle cars.

Al

·
Registered
285 Posts
Walbro 455 will support the need and if more HP is needed simply add another in the talk and boom you're good to go. I push well over 1000hp and have two walbro 455s in the tank on a 12v mod each with switch on capability and relays.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I too 2nd a Walbro 455, for an out of tank pump.
If you're going to do an in-tank conversion, I'd go with the Walbro 525 hellcat pump, that way the pump stays cooled by the fuel.

Just make sure you're getting a genuine pump from TI, there's a lot of fakes out there from online retailers.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I currently run a Bosch 044 external pump. Highly recommend running an in-tank pump if you can. If I run my fuel cell below half capacity, I can starve the engine of fuel, depending on how aggressively I'm driving. All is well, then all of a sudden you just have no fuel pressure and the engine is unresponsive.

Quite annoying, if I'm honest, and one of the 100 things on the list of things to fix. :p

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
te72: is the external pump fed from the fuel basket? Is your pump below the tank?

On my external setup, they had an AN fitting right thru the basket. It fed the pump really well, except if the fuel was really low and I made a sweeping right turn, the pump sounded different, but it didn't starve the engine.

Now I have an NA tank, and was trying to figure if I needed to add a Radium jet pump since the NA tank doesn't have one.

Al

·
From the land down under
4,536 Posts
te72: is the external pump fed from the fuel basket? Is your pump below the tank?

On my external setup, they had an AN fitting right thru the basket. It fed the pump really well, except if the fuel was really low and I made a sweeping right turn, the pump sounded different, but it didn't starve the engine.

Now I have an NA tank, and was trying to figure if I needed to add a Radium jet pump since the NA tank doesn't have one.

Al
Hi Al,
I never realised that the NA tank was different? Or am I misunderstanding your post?

Cheers

·
From the land down under
4,536 Posts
The fuel basket is different. The TT tank has some sort of jet pump device to help keep the basket full.

Al
Thanks for that info, Al. I had no idea about that extra pump.

Ive never had any fuel surge in my NA-T at the track, running full slick tyres, even with an almost empty tank, so they are very well designed. Good to know the TT design is another step up should any fuel surge happen in the future :)

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I can't say exactly what a TT tank's fuel basket looks like stock since someone enlarged the hole at the right front of the basket. Also can't say what the stock jet pump device actually does since it's pulling fuel from the return line and basket anyway. It just gives the fuel two outlets from the return line into the basket. The difference shouldn't be earth-shattering.

The Radium jet pump pulls fuel from the large tank into the basket. That makes sense.

Al

1 - 13 of 13 Posts