Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

It has been a while since my last post over here.

This month I will finally have a 100% bone stock 1996 supra (downpayment made) and it’s time for some maintenance. When making my “what to buy” list I found out I might have to replace the harmonic balancer. The car has about 77k miles and I can’t find any documented history that the pulley has been replaced. So I want to replace it when doing the timing belt.

This brings me to the following questions:

What balancer to buy? Keep in mind that the car will remain stock/bpu.
I’ve read a lot of the post here about the BL, ATI and Fluidamper and most of you guys prefer these over the stock unit. Since the BL is discounted this leaves me to the stock balancer, ATI and Fluidamper or are there other options?

I’m looking for a direct replacement, without doing modifications or bringing it to a machine shop. Some say the ATI is a direct fit, others don’t, so what is it?

Thanks in advance,

Casper

·
Car guy
803 Posts
I'd go with a stock one.

·
Toyota Lover
1,432 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
True! Bad info posted above.

I would also go with a stock one. I don't like overspinning the accessories, which the ATI does.

Al
Yea, my mistake OP, I have a Fluidampr which is the same size/diameter as stock (which is what I was referring to) unlike the ATI. I now realize you were asking that question in regards to the ATI :doh:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys for the quick reply's!

Just another question. Is it something you should always replace with the current mileage or just inspect the condition and replace if needed?

Thanks again, I appreciate it :)

Casper

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Another vote for stock unit. Stock/BPU level a new oem unit will be just fine. If you were planning on much higher hp levels then i would say an aftermarket unit.

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
Fluidampr has no rubber to wear out or harden. Ever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts