Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
89 Turbo Hardtop
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright i just blew my HG from the Heatercore from being stuck! Been doing alot of research and never found some of my questions. Which headgasket to pick for 400+ hp ? What else to replace while doing the project? besides all gaskets HKS is different from their products from bead and stopper HG. should i go 1.2mm or just say fuck it and just go with 2.0mm for no worries in the future.

Tony

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
id wait to see how much material is removed from the head to determine the thickness. putting a gasket on that is thicker than stock while removing less material will raise the head. in turn increasing the distance between cam and crank. it may not seem like much but..

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
a thicker hg raises or lower compression...cant remember but a bit higher compression on a turbo car wont be to bad if tuned right.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Spoolme said:
a thicker hg raises or lower compression...cant remember but a bit higher compression on a turbo car wont be to bad if tuned right.
thats the poor mans way of changing compr.. :1poke:

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Add Fel-Pro MLS gaskets to the list now boys :)

·
7mpowered 88
253 Posts
figgie said:
Add Fel-Pro MLS gaskets to the list now boys :)
More info please. I was thinking about using the the felpro Permatoque HG set w/cometic mls. But might go with A fel-pro MLS. I want to shoot for around 420+rwhp w/ct-26 .57trim, and close to 500hp w/50shot.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Orion ZyGarian said:
I'd be reluctant to try those...nothing against FelPro, but I'll stick to tried and true
bah someone has to do it ;)

tried and true is ok but then you stay static and nothing advances. Got to take risks sometimes :)

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Orion ZyGarian said:
I agree completely. But thats someone else's job :p

Not going to risk it on my $7k build

well I'll will risk it in my build then :)

·
United States of America
1,469 Posts
This is the info floating around on FelPro’s PermaTorque MLS

Product Line: Fel-Pro Head Gaskets
Bore (in): 3.268 in.
Bore (mm): 83.000mm
Gasket Material: Steel core laminate
FEL-9473PT
Head Gasket, Steel Core Laminate, Toyota, 3.0L, L6,

Fel-Pro PermaTouqueMLS multi-layer STEEL head gaskets. These advanced gaskets feature multiple layers of full-hard stainless steel, precise sealing beads and a proprietary coating that accomodates to a wide range of surface finishes.
Select PermaTorqueMLS gaskets feature a special coating specifically formulated for the aftermarket’s repair environment. While most MLS gaskets require a surface smoother than 40 Ra (400 Rz), these Fel-Pro PermaTorqueMLS head gaskets will seal a surface finish as rough as 60 Ra (600 Rz).
All sets include Permatorque Blue head gaskets, that require no sealer and never need re-torquing.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
isnms said:
This is the info floating around on FelPro’s PermaTorque MLS

Product Line: Fel-Pro Head Gaskets
Bore (in): 3.268 in.
Bore (mm): 83.000mm
Gasket Material: Steel core laminate
FEL-9473PT
Head Gasket, Steel Core Laminate, Toyota, 3.0L, L6,
The 9473PT is an OEM replacement and not MLS. I just talked to the tech at the company and he said the MLS is not available for the 7M. If someone knows differently, we'd all be interested.

·
United States of America
1,469 Posts
I'll have to do some more checking.
Did you talk to a tech at Fel-Pro/Federal-Mogul Corporation?

this is the way it is described on an online performance parts seller:

·
United States of America
1,469 Posts
Seems there is a difference in PermaTorque and PermaTorqueMLS

PT is just a laminated steel core
PTMLS is the multi-layered steel

PermaTorque
Fel-Pro PermaTorque® head gaskets include a wire ring combustion seal inserted inside the stainless steel armor. The wire ring design provides highly concentrated sealing around the combustion chamber.

• The rubber / fiber facing material of the gasket is reinforced with KEVLAR® fiber, laminated to a solid steel core to resist torque loss and seal fluids.

PermaTorqueMLS
The latest innovation from the proven leaders in sealing technology ----- Fel-Pro MLS (multi-layered steel) head gaskets are proven to handle big power any way you make it! Boost, nitrous, or naturally aspirated – if you need the ultimate in combustion sealing, you need Fel-Pro PermaTorqueMLS.

• MLS maintains contact pressure between the cylinder head and block

• Seals combustion, oil and coolant despite extreme horizontal and vertical motion between head and block

• Distribute clamping loads strategically across the entire cylinder head for optimized sealing

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
isnms said:
I'll have to do some more checking.
Did you talk to a tech at Fel-Pro/Federal-Mogul Corporation?

this is the way it is described on an online performance parts seller:
Yes I did. The one listed in MI. I also checked with other distributors and they come up empty when it comes to the 7M. In fact, the ones that listed ANY Toyotas only had later model listings. The earliest I could find was '93 and they were all econos or luxurys. No sports or earlier years. Darn shame because they seem to be comparitively cheap. The most expensive 6cyl MLS was $114. :-(

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
if you purchase a thickng one then stock (1.2mm) and say the one you picked up was a 1.4 or 2.0mm the extra distance can be adjusted out w/ the timing belt tensioner..

and havinger a thicker gasket will lower your C:R make a little less power but will also have less chance of detenation?

i think im just gona snag a 1.4/1.5 and hope for the best, i dont think my head's warped, and i think they might just end up putting a finish on it. ( but my head will be goign to the machine shop.)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Orion ZyGarian said:
What website is that?! Its a mystery! Let us in on this secret website to get online performance parts for cheap!

Oh yeah, its www.summitracing.com :bigthumb:
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...907680+4294870482+4294891421+115&autoview=sku
As far as FEL-PRO MLS HGs are concerned, Summit and Jegs are only catering to domestics. Fel-Pro/Federal Mogul is the site you want to check. You'll still come up empty.

"Quality replacement gaskets from Fel-Pro.
Fel-Pro OEM stock replacement head gaskets are ideal for stock rebuilds for street-driven cars and trucks. Available types include both multi-layer steel-core and composition constructions. These gaskets are not intended for race applications."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts