Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a (expensive) bullet high flow cat (with ceramic spiral material inside) on my 7M-GTE, and melted it within 2 weeks - now my car is blowing exhaust gaskets, because the cat is clogged up.

I have an EGT probe, mounted to the turbo, which gives me readings of 1200-1450F when driving, the 1450F is under heavy use, while 1200F is normal freeway driving (75-80mph), I am wondering if these values are high for the 7M-GTE?

When I talked to the muffler shop who installed my high flow cat, he said typical inlet temps for cats are around 300F, so we mounted it far away from the downpipe, under the driver-seat, but it still melted.

Now I need to decide what to replace it with, either a straight 3" section of pipe, or another catalytic converter, perhaps something metal. I would like this car to be capable of passing a CA sniffer test, so I was looking for a large OEM catalytic converter, something with 3" tubing off of an older suburban, etc., but am curious to see if my EGT temps are normal (the engine seems to run fine), and am interested in what other people are using?

· Registered
6,774 Posts
Are high flow cats even legal out there. Sounds like something not green enough for treehugger country. I have a Magnaflow. What I'd do it bolt on a nice sniffer friendly cat for the test and once that's up replace it with a straight pipe.

· Registered
472 Posts
Yes high flow cats are legal here in CA, providing the company that manufactures them has them CARB approved. The problem that I have had with the hi-flows is that after about 2 years they just don't work as well for the non-dyno smog tests, they cool down too quickly IME. I use the stock cat for the tests and the hi-flow the rest of the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.