Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going single very soon with a SP57. I am not planning on taking my car to the track much. I was wondering what most people use. Several people have recommended a 3000 stall, because of driving around town. What do you all think?
If anyone has a 3000 stall I would appreciate some input in regard to how you like it versus a 3800/4000 stall.

Thanks,
Shane

·
Registered
807 Posts
What exactly is a stall? I know basically what it does, but I need a thorough rundown. Anyone willing?

Matt

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
You also have a stock converter with bent fins to raise the stall. A 9.5 or 10" Precision convertor is a completely different thing. I would not recommend a raised stall stock convertor. Jack Sedory, the owner of Precision, will tell you the same thing. He qouted me $100 to raise the stall on the stock convertor if I insisted. You just bend the internal fins. I got the great opportunity to drive a BPU+ (sequential) car with a SP tranny/3800 Precision converter tonight. Thank you again to the owner! I basically had to re-learn how to drive a car. When you give the car gas, it doesn't go anywhere. It builds up rpm THEN goes. There is a very noticable delay. It's like driving a 6spd and slipping the clutch ALL the time. When WOT shifting, the RPMS seemed to stay around 6k like it never shifted at all. Rather different. I no longer felt ONE with the throttle. =) Not what I would define as a streetable quality although everyone that sells them has told me they are "very streetable". I guess it's streetable as in you can still drive the car on the street. LOL. I'm sure with some time, you would get more used to it - I didn't after 30+ minutes. When I got back in my car (with basically the same performance mods), everything felt quicker, faster, and more responsive - overall better. I'm considering a lower than 3800 stall now, but still a 10" convertor. From a performance standpoint, SADLY I can't give a good opinion as the roads were all wet and the car would light up the tires instead of go forward at anything below highway speed (my car as well). With traction, I'm positive the car would spank the poop out of my car from a powerbraking launch. Without powerbraking or from a roll, I'd say my car would win because of the delay. I've been gathering opinions for 4 years on higher stall convertors and it's all useless info compared to a test drive. Hope this helps and gives a better understanding of what your getting yourself into if you're considering a higher stall. It's a serious tradeoff if it's your daily driver.

John H

RSA Supra said:
I have a 2800-3200 stall and am very happy with it and it is very streetable, but I have stock twins. I would go with whatever Larry says, he's the expert.

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
John H said:
You also have a stock converter with bent fins to raise the stall. A 9.5 or 10" Precision convertor is a completely different thing. I would not recommend a raised stall stock convertor. Jack Sedory, the owner of Precision, will tell you the same thing. He qouted me $100 to raise the stall on the stock convertor if I insisted. You just bend the internal fins. I got the great opportunity to drive a BPU+ (sequential) car with a SP tranny/3800 Precision converter tonight. Thank you again to the owner! I basically had to re-learn how to drive a car. When you give the car gas, it doesn't go anywhere. It builds up rpm THEN goes. There is a very noticable delay. It's like driving a 6spd and slipping the clutch ALL the time. When WOT shifting, the RPMS seemed to stay around 6k like it never shifted at all. Rather different. I no longer felt ONE with the throttle. =) Not what I would define as a streetable quality although everyone that sells them has told me they are "very streetable". I guess it's streetable as in you can still drive the car on the street. LOL. I'm sure with some time, you would get more used to it - I didn't after 30+ minutes. When I got back in my car (with basically the same performance mods), everything felt quicker, faster, and more responsive - overall better. I'm considering a lower than 3800 stall now, but still a 10" convertor. From a performance standpoint, SADLY I can't give a good opinion as the roads were all wet and the car would light up the tires instead of go forward at anything below highway speed (my car as well). With traction, I'm positive the car would spank the poop out of my car from a powerbraking launch. Without powerbraking or from a roll, I'd say my car would win because of the delay. I've been gathering opinions for 4 years on higher stall convertors and it's all useless info compared to a test drive. Hope this helps and gives a better understanding of what your getting yourself into if you're considering a higher stall. It's a serious tradeoff if it's your daily driver.

John H

To change the stall speeds on the converter all you have to do is to change the stator (pump) on the converter, not change the blade angles. I had many converters sent back to PI and all they do is open them up and change out the pump/stator of the converter

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
John,

I bought my convertor from Level 10. :madf: Luckly it still works great after I had it professionally flushed to clean out all the pieces of my Level 10 tranny.

I assume it a PI, but I'm not sure. It's not a stock convertor that's been modified. Its either a 9.5" or 10". It is much larger than stock and required grinding down the heads of the crank bolts and takes a lot more fluid now than the stock tranny and TC.

It felt wierd to me at first but once I got used to it, it is totally normal. I think that its the perfect compromise, I think anything higher would be a PITA. Yes, the forward motion of the car lags a little, but its not as if it doesn't move forward until its above 2800rpms. It just moves more around 2800 and then is quickly into boost. And it doesn't drop as many rpms when it shifts, and it drops about 500rpms aroun 120-130mph when the TC lots up entirely.

I've let a couple of other Supra owners w/ stock convertors drive it, and they liked it. It takes some getting used to, but I still stand behind my statement that its very streetable. I've had it in my daily driven car for about 20 months and now its just like its always been and always should've been that way. I'll easily launch on any 6-speed or any auto with a stock convertor. :D

I'm curious above PI's new 3 clutch or whatever they're coming out with, but I plan on leaving my tranny attached to the engine for a long time and not pulling it down to upgrade the convertor.

K

·
0 Posts
I welcome anyone to come and drive my old BPU car that had a 3100 stall. You would never know that it was in the car except under power braking conditions. It would TOAST any stock converter equipped BPU any DAY. I also will say that with my 4600 stall that I have in my new Supra, there is a little delay before movement, approx 1/2 a second. It is not a problem, nor is it very noticeable.

J

·
0 Posts
Here's something strange... I've got a 3000 stall Level 10 converter (and trans) in my car and noticed when the rpms exceed 2700 (stock stall), below 10mph and above 3.5v throttle angle, my ECM will actually try to bring in the second turbo. This causes the boost to dip a moment and the car will hiccup and drive through it. Kinda crazy. I can design a logic gate to get it to stop because it bugs me when it does it. I have an early design converter that is too violent so I am switching to a "softer" unit, same stall, slightly higher multipication ratio (2.4 -> 2.6). Anything under 50mph and it lit the tires. The Level 10 is a PI converter BTW. I should have it in a few days and can't wait to hit Fontana!

I can't believe someone spec'd used a 3800 stall in a stock turbo car! 1000 more rpm and you're past the torque peak.

I'd be curious about those PI 3 disk lockup converters. That is a rediculous amount of inertia to have to spin up....

·
Registered
849 Posts
JZ1 said:
Here's something strange... I've got a 3000 stall Level 10 converter (and trans) in my car and noticed when the rpms exceed 2700 (stock stall), below 10mph and above 3.5v throttle angle, my ECM will actually try to bring in the second turbo. This causes the boost to dip a moment and the car will hiccup and drive through it. Kinda crazy. I can design a logic gate to get it to stop because it bugs me when it does it. I have an early design converter that is too violent so I am switching to a "softer" unit, same stall, slightly higher multipication ratio (2.4 -> 2.6). Anything under 50mph and it lit the tires. The Level 10 is a PI converter BTW. I should have it in a few days and can't wait to hit Fontana!

I can't believe someone spec'd used a 3800 stall in a stock turbo car! 1000 more rpm and you're past the torque peak.

I'd be curious about those PI 3 disk lockup converters. That is a rediculous amount of inertia to have to spin up....
Why dont you do the TTC mod? That way the 2nd turbo will be on all the time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
koopdaddy,

Did your bpu car had its rev limiter raised with the 3100 stall on it? Did it have problems hitting the rev limiter when you're driving it hard?

Thanks,
Long

by the way, i'm thinking about ordering that 3200 stall from you guys

K

·
0 Posts
No it was the stock Rev Limiter. I never had a problem with hitting it until I put my single T66 on it. Now IT WILL NOT SHIFT UNLESS YOU LET OFF THE GAS or REDUCE THROTTLE. I will have me new ECU this week. I had the rev limiter set at 7500RPMS. I think that should take care of the problem
Thanks

In response to the first question:

You will not be able to tell the difference between a 3800-4000 stall converter. The difference is so small that two different Supras with different mods may stall higher or lower than the other with either of the converters.

I do not recommend anything lower than 4200 for a turbo like and T64 or larger. For the T66 and larger, I ONLY RECOMMEND A 4500+ Stall. With this setup there is virtually no lag any more. I only recommend the 3000-3200 Stalls for cars that are at BPU or VERY VERY SMALL singles (T60 or Smaller)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts