Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am wondering as I will be ordering a few parts soon, what is the best intercooler that you can buy that fits under the stock bumper? I was kind of interested in the Greddy 3row, but you have to cut bumper supports, I don't like the sounds of that. And when i mean best obviously I wwas looking at a $1,200 intercooler so show me the stuff that is good, as I still believe you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also forgot, I was looking at the MKIV intercoolers, so that makes it a little more difficult to answere, but they are basically the same core with different end tanks right? so which MKIV intercooler do you think will fit best under stock MKIII bumper?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
i have a cartech intercooler. it bolts to the stock location and is the stock size. it performs awesome as well. for the price it's a great investment. i paid 675 shipped for mine via suprastore

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
If you mount it at a slight angle, you can fit 24x3x12 core in there.

That is what you can fit easily, with just a little cutting of the center support. You can fit a 3.5" core even straight up and down if you start hacking away. Either way, a big IC WILL fit behind the bumper support.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
^ You can fit a 24X12X3 intercooler without any modifications to the bumper support, and you dont have to put it at an angle. You will have to remove the tow hooks to fit the piping.

I dont have an A/C condensor tho, so that might be why it fits.

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
24X13X3.5 here, and that's the core only. Stock bumper support untouched. But the bracket that hold the horns was replaced with just 1/2" ss tubing. Oh yeah, oil cooler and overflow tank were relocated.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
24" wide leaves room for some decent end tanks between the frame horns. There is room for way thicker than 3" with the oil cooler and other junk out of the way. Most MK4 intercoolers will require hacking the frame horns or end tank mods...

·
Supras Invade Las Vegas
2,385 Posts
HPF... and if you cut out the fins in the nose it won't look "small" in there

Keith - still laughing at our local DEQ guys that loved the IC.

·
can't spell shazam w/o it
315 Posts
You do know that if you take out the hood latch, along with the horns (relocate them), and modify the powersteering cooling lines a bit (unbend them), you have a shitload of room right there. The bracket to hold the intercooler in place can be drilled into the bumper support, and it looks killer on the stock bumper. Only downside is you have to get hood pins, which I don't find to be a problem at all, and you would actually have a reason to get them, heh.

EDIT: if you want, I can post pics sometime tomorrow. I have a 24"x9"x3" intercooler that now mounts straight (not at an angle), and I didn't even have to take the bumper off.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
No need for hood pins. Something like the HKS intercooler hood latch support bracket can be made pretty damned easily and leaves almost as much room as no bracket. More than enough for a 4" thick core. The inlet and outlet need to be all the way at the bottom of the end tanks to minimize install headaches.

·
315 Posts
chevyeater-on-sf said:
No need for hood pins. Something like the HKS intercooler hood latch support bracket can be made pretty damned easily and leaves almost as much room as no bracket. More than enough for a 4" thick core. The inlet and outlet need to be all the way at the bottom of the end tanks to minimize install headaches.
That's perfect. I'll SEARCH for it, but in the meantime, have a link or anything? It'll save the trouble and agony of having to drill holes in the stock hood.

·
315 Posts
Will do, I just gotta take the pics first. I'm wondering though, is it possible to hack up the bracket that holds the latch/horns/powersteering cooler to make room for the intercooler? It sucks working on the car 2 miles away from home :sadwavey:.

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
No mods to the hood latch at all. just the vertical bracket replaced with 1/2" tubing. core is 24X13X3.5. Like chevyeater said, even a 4" thick core will fit.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts

There is that and a vertical bar that ties in to the latch and lower rad. supprt. As you can see, the car in that picture has the HKS intercooler as well and has filled in some of the space behind it with a 2" thick oil cooler.

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
jt2ma71 - nice....is your endtanks are on oppostite ends? u have FFI? if u don't how did you route the piping....?

i searched a lot about this and many ppl said no modifications will be needed for 24x12x3 intercooler...just oil cooler relocated and PS steering lines maybe moved.....anytihng thicker then 4 ppl said ome mods will be needed...i just bought a 25 x 12x 3 core so i'll be messing with it soon enough...hardest problems is where to mount it or piping.

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
supratkfy said:
jt2ma71 - nice....is your endtanks are on oppostite ends? u have FFI? if u don't how did you route the piping....?

i searched a lot about this and many ppl said no modifications will be needed for 24x12x3 intercooler...just oil cooler relocated and PS steering lines maybe moved.....anytihng thicker then 4 ppl said ome mods will be needed...i just bought a 25 x 12x 3 core so i'll be messing with it soon enough...hardest problems is where to mount it or piping.
Thanks, yes I have FFI.
Here are the only intake pipes, 2 pieces.

Here's the one from Turbo to IC (pic upside down)

And here's the one from the IC to TB. Going through the enlarged hole behind the headlight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts