Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Hardtop >
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of a new battery, and i am looking to get a lightweight battery. I have a hardtop so i figure i already wieght less than a targa, why not keep on trying to shed weight.

I have my eyes on the Odyssey PC925MJT. Do any of you have this battery on your MK4? I would like to know how long this battery will last while the car is sitting in the garage and hasnt been turned on in a whie. Will it die if the car sits for 2 weeks? I would like to here your experiences with this battery and if you recommend i get it or not. Also, those of you who have it, what battery mount are you using with it? Did you use a spacer to make the battery higher so you can reuse the stock battery mount?

I would also like to here your input on what other light weight batteries you guys would recommend. Thanks!

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
contact nisei engineering and ask for kevin, he got me my batter and polished battery tie down that weighs
both less than 14lbs combined...

it includes a genesis batter which is the same as teh odyssey

·
Hardtop >
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yo Curtis you got any pictures of what it looks like? Do you happen to know what Genesis (Osyssey) battery it is? Is it the PC680?

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
I have the 680 with a custom bracket to hold it down....love it, 14lbs total.

Jason

·
Hardtop >
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HotSoup, how long does the PC680 last when the car hasnt been turned on? Will it last 2 weeks, or does it usually die before that? Have any picture of the battery with the custom tie down installed?

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
Por2geezSupra said:
HotSoup, how long does the PC680 last when the car hasnt been turned on? Will it last 2 weeks, or does it usually die before that? Have any picture of the battery with the custom tie down installed?
nah, no pics. It will last as long as the weather is warm, if it gets cold it dies and will not even turn over. Just keep a battery tender on it, and all will be good.

Jason

·
Hardtop >
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks for your input HotSoup. Ill keep the PC680 in mind.

earl3, the Braille battery looks to be a prety good battery. Over 1060 cranking amps and it only weights 14 lbs! Its pretty dam expensive though compared to the odyssey batteries. How long have you had yours for? Any problems with starting it in cold weather?

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Por2geezSupra said:
Ok thanks for your input HotSoup. Ill keep the PC680 in mind.

earl3, the Braille battery looks to be a prety good battery. Over 1060 cranking amps and it only weights 14 lbs! Its pretty dam expensive though compared to the odyssey batteries. How long have you had yours for? Any problems with starting it in cold weather?
Make sure to keep in mind the "cold" cranking amps too when choosing a battery.

·
Hardtop >
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anybody else have a lightweight battery they would recommend? Do any big name brands, other then odyssey, make lightwieght batteries? I heard carquest has a battery that weights 26lbs. Does anyone have any more info on this battery?

·
Hardtop >
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do you like the braille battery so far? Where did you buy it from? Also, what are you using for a battery hold down with it?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Twin PC680 batterys on their sides in the rear seat's old location. Plenty of reseve, holds charges well, and (both) are lighter than a single stock battery. Keeps the weight down low, and to the rear in the chassis.

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
I use the PC680 (one) and I disconnect the negative battery terminal when I let the car sit for over a week. I've never had a problem with this configuration.

·
Hardtop >
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all your input guys. I ended up ordering the Odyssey PC925MJT. I got it in yesterday and so far it works awesome. Its also A LOT lighter then the normal sized batteries. Ill let you guys know what my thought are on this battery a few weeks from now.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Por2geezSupra said:
Thanks for all your input guys. I ended up ordering the Odyssey PC925MJT. I got it in yesterday and so far it works awesome. Its also A LOT lighter then the normal sized batteries. Ill let you guys know what my thought are on this battery a few weeks from now.
Nice...I had one of those and it weighed in at around 24-26lbs (somewhere in there) which is about half the weight of a normal battery.

Good luck with it and keep us posted on how it does for you.

Take Care

1 - 20 of 94 Posts