Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im looking for a replacement tire for my stock rear TT wheels that will be street friendly but get me down the track without wheel hop. Im pretty set on Mickey Thompson ET streets.

My question is, they make a 275/45/17 in ET Street Radial, then a 295/45/17 in ET Street Radial II. Which is a better tire for me? im Currently BPU + maybe 375-400 hp?

I figure typically wider is better, and the 295 still fits well on the stock wheel, but the radial vs. radial II, I dont know which is better?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
275 at your power level.
I know 275 is enough for my power level currently but I do plan on upgrading significantly over the winter to higher power levels. Cost aside, is there any reason NOT to go with the 295's? Im more concerned with the actual tire and not the size. I dont know which is considered a stickier tire?

·
Hardtopper
2,478 Posts
street friendly but get me down the track without wheel hop.

Wheelhop on the track will be a fact of life with any radial tire, so your goals are honestly unattainable. I had great luck on the street with the 275/45 ET street radial on stock 17’s when I was BPU and on low to mid boost on the single. At the track wheelhop was absolutely unavoidable unless the track was VERY sticky and I slipped the hell out of the clutch. It’s just not realistic. You’re certainly welcome to waste your time (as I did) and disregard the advice from others that have been there and done that until you ‘see the light’ and switch to a bias ply for track duty. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My only question that goes against what you say then, and I know it sounds a little childish, but how are people on street tires, doing huge burnouts and such without wheel hopping on the street?

I can pull up 100 youtube videos of people on radial tires in parking lots doing crazy burnouts, with zero wheelhop. My car could NEVER do that without busting the rear end into peices.

·
Hardtopper
2,478 Posts
Wheelhop during a burnout or simply roasting the tires just playing around is never the issue – especially on the street. If you get wheelhop when initiating the burnout then you need to start with a higher RPM. If you’re getting wheelhop while doing the burnout then you’ve got other issues – destroyed engine, tranny, diff mounts, subframe bushings or driveshaft carrier bearing issues, etc… You should be able to roast the tires all day long without worrying about wheelhop. The damaging wheelhop that I’m speaking of occurs during a drag launch (where you’re trying to control the spin, not let it just run away like when doing a burnout) where the tire breaks traction, regains, breaks, regains and a bounce/rebound oscillation sets in. When you cleanly break the tires loose and keep them spinning you should not be experiencing any hop, especially on the street.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I need to move onto other wheel hop fixes then. Ive already done solid diff ear mounts and weld in diff mounts, and brand new TRD engine and trans mounts.

If I go into a parking lot, and do say, a 4K-5K rpm clutch drop from a standstill, the wheel hop is pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
You need to run ET STreets to avoid wheel hop. Any drag radial will cause wheel hop and eventually take out your DS or rear. Whether it be a week or a year, at some point especially in an inexperienced track driver, it WILL break something in the rear. Get a used set of 3rd Gen Rx7 rims cheap and get a 26 x 11.5/16 ET Street and all wheel hop worries will be gone.

And you do not need all the weld in /solid rear parts to get rid of wheel hop. Total waste of money for street car and at your power level. You just need a better tire and drive a little better :)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when you say "Et Street" which ones are you referring to? MT makes like 4 different types of "ET Streets"

I have some people telling me tires wont help wheel hop, its gonna hop no matter what on radials even on the street.

Then I have you telling me I can get ET streets ( radials?) that will fix wheel hop

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
when you say "Et Street" which ones are you referring to? MT makes like 4 different types of "ET Streets"

I have some people telling me tires wont help wheel hop, its gonna hop no matter what on radials even on the street.

Then I have you telling me I can get ET streets ( radials?) that will fix wheel hop
There is only one ET STREET. Did you see me put the name Radial in what i said? There are not 4. Anything thing with RADIAL in its name is just that, a radial. Not the same tire.

Radial tires will wheel hop, non radial tire will not. Radial tires are better for street since they are radials and harder compound and handle better, but will wheel hop at track and break something. There is no one tire to fit best of both worlds really. WHy do you think people have drag/track setups and then street setups???

Let me ask you what brand tire do you have on your car now? And honestly i think you should get to learn to drive your car better is your best option. Do not do the things you know will make it wheel hop is a start lol

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I currently have Nitto 555II's on the car, which were already installed when I bought them. ( They are almost due to be replaced regardless which is why i started this thread in the first place )

You answered my question though. Mickey thompson "ET Street Radials" are still going to wheel hop just as much as any other radial, they arent made out of magic no-hop rubber.

When people say "ET Street" I was always under the impression they were speaking about this
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadial

When in reality, it looks like this is what they meant
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreet

now I understand better why ive been reccomended to use "ET Streets" to reduce wheel hop.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
there you go, Tim. The ET Street bias ply is the one. Now you'll have to address the risk of running a bias ply on the rear and a standard radial on front ...a big NO NO which often results in high speed instability. To address that, what are you going to do about using skinnies on the front?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ill probobly just order the ET street radials as my replacement street tires since I need to spend money on tires regardless. Ill have to consider spending money on a drag setup then with bias ply tires. Until then Ill just have to take it easy at the track with launching. I dont think I can afford a whole 'drag tire setup' this year, but I would like to get back to the track at least once or twice more before fall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts