• 86.5 targa top with 1jz

• 87 hardtop turbo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So I’m stuck on a decision I have to make before the end of the summer. Over the years, I have worked on my first car which is a 1987 hardtop turbo and a while ago I acquired another Supra, a 1986.5 Supra targa top with a 1jzgte/r154 swap. I’m at the point in my life where it no longer makes sense to have both. I’ve always loved my Supra and had plans to never part with it, until I got a great deal and acquired the second one. I have always been partial to hardtops as I don’t like having to worry about creaks and leaks from targas, convertibles, etc. Is there anything that makes either of these cars more special than the other? For example, are 87 turbo hardtops harder to find or were 86.5 produced in lower numbers? Both cars have pros and cons. Both are 5 speed r154 cars. Both need paint lol but the 87 has rust in the wheel wells, that would require cutting and welding, while the 86.5 does not. The interior in the 87 is a lot cleaner than the 86.5. I have a lot of goodies, that I’ve acquired over the years for the 7m car. The 86.5 1jz car needs a turbo and a new ecu to run. My plan is to send one of these cars to a shop and having it restored. Is one worth more than the other in terms of saving? I’m wondering what your opinions are.

Also, I know the Mark 4 Supra have aftermarket floor bracing options like the do luck braces. Is there anything similar for Mark 3 Supras?

·
Super Moderator
11,181 Posts
Hey everyone,

So I’m stuck on a decision I have to make before the end of the summer. Over the years, I have worked on my first car which is a 1987 hardtop turbo and a while ago I acquired another Supra, a 1986.5 Supra targa top with a 1jzgte/r154 swap. I’m at the point in my life where it no longer makes sense to have both. I’ve always loved my Supra and had plans to never part with it, until I got a great deal and acquired the second one. I have always been partial to hardtops as I don’t like having to worry about creaks and leaks from targas, convertibles, etc. Is there anything that makes either of these cars more special than the other? For example, are 87 turbo hardtops harder to find or were 86.5 produced in lower numbers? Both cars have pros and cons. Both are 5 speed r154 cars. Both need paint lol but the 87 has rust in the wheel wells, that would require cutting and welding, while the 86.5 does not. The interior in the 87 is a lot cleaner than the 86.5. I have a lot of goodies, that I’ve acquired over the years for the 7m car. The 86.5 1jz car needs a turbo and a new ecu to run. My plan is to send one of these cars to a shop and having it restored. Is one worth more than the other in terms of saving? I’m wondering what your opinions are.

Also, I know the Mark 4 Supra have aftermarket floor bracing options like the do luck braces. Is there anything similar for Mark 3 Supras?
86.5 and 87 were the most numerous years of the MKIII in the US, but the 87 being a factory turbo car and a hardtop will always be a little more desirable.

II'd pull the 7M-GTE out of the '87 and part out those components for $.
Get the 87 to a paint/body shop as a rolling chassis for the rust repair & paintwork, and only have them touch that.
In the meantime, pull the 1JZ out of the '86.5, and get it set up with new seals, etc, a decent small fast spooling turbo kit + fuel system, and a quality standalone EMS. Install the 1JZ-GTE in the '87 when it comes back nice and shiny and rust free. Get it in for a dyno tune from someone that knows JZ's and the ECU you chose. (Pick an ECU with good local support!) and work on the brakes/suspension/details from there and live happily ever after.
Sell the '86.5 and any remaining 7M parts to offset the costs.

I haven't seen any MK3 floor braces or subframe connectors, but the hardtop is naturally much better in this regard. Refreshing the subframe and control arm bushings and ball joints will be the best first steps anyway.

Reactions: debrucer1

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I was going to respond to this but Wreckless has a perfect plan already laid out for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Wreckless for your pearls of wisdom. As always great advice. It’s very much appreciated.

Suprahero, agreed. I’ll keep everyone posted. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,181 Posts
Thanks Wreckless for your pearls of wisdom. As always great advice. It’s very much appreciated.

Suprahero, agreed. I’ll keep everyone posted. Thanks.
Pictures, dude! PICTURES!

We love build threads!!! 🍺

Reactions: debrucer1

·
Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVti (build/swap in progress)
247 Posts
I love the targa top so much. 7M's sound amazing, even better when the top's off

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wreckless, definitely will start a build thread with pictures!!! 😄👍

GlennR22, thanks!

omicca, I like the 7M as well and would keep it but I’m only planning on keeping one car and so the engine will go with the car that I’m not restoring.

·
Super Moderator
11,181 Posts
I love the targa top so much. 7M's sound amazing, even better when the top's off
Excellent point!

So the solution here is to save both cars! 🍺

Build the 86.5 into a 7M-GTE targa top cruiser with modest HP, and do the 87T as a 1JZ hardtop go-getter. :D

Reactions: Asterix

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wouldn’t be a bad idea! Haha I’m not sure how thrilled the Mrs would be but that sounds like a good plan! 😂

The targa will most likely be going to a cousin of mine for him to fix up and enjoy. I’ll give the community an update when there’s progress with the cars. I will most likely remove the engine within a week or two and upload before and after pictures after it’s back from the body shop. 😄

·
Registered
179 Posts
Keep the 1jz 86.5 all day long. Both are projects cars but a targa top 1jz is badass. Go single turbo and install a new targa seal just to be safe. If you don't like the body flex keep the top on. This coming from a hard top sunroof owner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hard choice to make, glad I only have 1 lol. But for your situation, I would keep the 86 targa. If the interior in the 87 is better and they're both the same color interior, I would swap it so that not only will the 86 have the better body, 1JZ, targa, but also the good interior.... or if the interior color would fit the look on either car, swap it. That's about the only thing I would swap.... If it doesn't make sense to do that, then just live with it and find better components and slowly repair the interior....
I know others have mentioned keeping the 87 but I wouldn't go through the trouble of swapping engines or repairing the 87. Just get a turbo, ECU and tune the 86. Also I don't believe in parting out the 87 or for that matter, the 86, considering both are pretty much running cars and it'd have more chance to survive in your cousin's hands if it has a running engine and everything is complete.

Reading your post, the one thing that hits me about the 87 is that it was your first one and you said you didn't want to let it go, so there's sentimental value there, I can sympathize with that. And that's why I can't give up my 88 Hardtop even though I'd rather have a Targa lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MK3-me, I agree. It would be bad-ass and that is why I’ve decided to let my cousin enjoy that car, with the 7mgte in it. It will still be a nice car with potential. The hardtop turbo car does have more sentimental value to me and that made me willing to fix it instead of letting it go.

Narfalicious, yes, I think the sentimental value the 87 has weighs more than the 86.5. I was going to keep it 7M but I’ve decided to swap both engines and keep the 87 with the 1JZ. In the end, I don’t think I can ever part with my 87, much like you with your 88.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts