Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Universal Ambassador ^*^
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 95 Supra Single Turbo. Its a T-66 and has dynoed over 600RWHP. The car has 77,000 miles on it. I would like to know from some supra owners which is the best oil to use. Is Amsoil or Royal Purple or Redline ok? Also, do I use, 10-30, or 10-50. People have been telling me all different types of oil and weights so I figured I go on the forum. I just bought the car but the previous owner recommends 10-50, so I just wanted to double check it on here. Most people have been telling me 10-30 synthetic. thankx everyone for the help!

P.S. I live in california if that helps with outside temp and is just a toyota oil filter ok to use as well? If there are better filters out there can someone also let me know. Thankx!

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
IMO I'd just buy Mobile 1. Redline and Royal Purple may not be better but I'm guessing they will cost more. If it gets really hot where you live in CA, maybe use 15W50 versus the stock recommended 10W30.

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
I did a lab in one of my Mechanical engineering courses where i decided to compare oils and their ability to lubricate... to tell you the truth, virtually every synthetic oil that was SAE approved tested the same... Amsoil and Royal purple had slightly better results and lasted better though the tests

point is... just use a synthetic oil and youll be fine (if you have a stock motor then use 10w30)

i personally swear by Royal purple

·
Universal Ambassador ^*^
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
swearitsstock said:
I did a lab in one of my Mechanical engineering courses where i decided to compare oils and their ability to lubricate... to tell you the truth, virtually every synthetic oil that was SAE approved tested the same... Amsoil and Royal purple had slightly better results and lasted better though the tests

point is... just use a synthetic oil and youll be fine (if you have a stock motor then use 10w30)

i personally swear by Royal purple
That is kool, I always wanted to do some test and break down all the oils out there to see if they really did anything different. Thanks for the advice guys. I do have a stock motor, so I guess I will then use 10-30 either royal purple or amsoil. Is the toyota filter from toyota ok to use or should I buy a certain kind?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
JJCOOL777 said:
That is kool, I always wanted to do some test and break down all the oils out there to see if they really did anything different. Thanks for the advice guys. I do have a stock motor, so I guess I will then use 10-30 either royal purple or amsoil. Is the toyota filter from toyota ok to use or should I buy a certain kind?
Mobil 1.

Mobil 1 comes stock on the new Viper (I have one), it says Mobil 1 on the oil cap too. It comes stock on vettes, porsches, etc. Mobil 1 is the oil the manufacturers choose. NASCAR has also recently switched to Mobil 1 as its official motor oil. I've used Mobil 1 for 10 years now.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
KevinB6876 said:
Mobil 1.

Mobil 1 comes stock on the new Viper (I have one), it says Mobil 1 on the oil cap too. It comes stock on vettes, porsches, etc. Mobil 1 is the oil the manufacturers choose. NASCAR has also recently switched to Mobil 1 as its official motor oil. I've used Mobil 1 for 10 years now.
Well porsche use to say shell oils too not that it matter to me ,anyways i use redline ,royalpurple or amsoil as well as mobil one (every once in a while) and castro syntec .

has anyone used klotz oil ?

http://www.klotzlube.com/storeCats.asp?ci=3 if so what do you think of it ?

Im wondering also what oil is used a lot over in JAPAN since every JDM motor i have seen has some strang smell to there oil :faint:

·
Registered
77 Posts
As far as oil goes, i am against royal purple. Reason being, ive seen it chew up a few topends during break-in periods. Here at the shop we are direct with amsoil so we use there stuff alot, i reccomend it.

As for klotz, we just got direct with them for octane booster and oil/race gas. This stuff is amazing, the oil smells like race gas, so its a pleasure to fill it up lol.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I use Redline 10w30 with a K&N oil filter..

In previous Supras and other cars, I ran Mobil 1.. I switched to Redline when a local shop started carrying it, they told me that it would make more power with Redline than any other oil with the same weight (something about it protects as good as the weight listed, but it isn't as "heavy" so it frees up some power)... Anyway I figured what the hell and tried it in my Camaro SS (bone stock).. With no other changes than the Redline oil instead of Mobil 1, I made 7 rwhp and 10 lb-ft more on the same dyno (baseline dyno was on a Thursday, re-dyno with the Redline was the following Tuesday.. similar weather). Ever since then, I've always ran Redline.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
SupraSpeedMKIV said:

In previous Supras and other cars, I ran Mobil 1.. I switched to Redline when a local shop started carrying it, they told me that it would make more power with Redline than any other oil with the same weight (something about it protects as good as the weight listed, but it isn't as "heavy" so it frees up some power)... Anyway I figured what the hell and tried it in my Camaro SS (bone stock).. With no other changes than the Redline oil instead of Mobil 1, I made 7 rwhp and 10 lb-ft more on the same dyno (baseline dyno was on a Thursday, re-dyno with the Redline was the following Tuesday.. similar weather). Ever since then, I've always ran Redline.
:bsflag:

·
Registered
77 Posts
SupraSpeedMKIV said:

7hp is usualy a dyno margin of error. You may have gained somewhat but nothing that big just from oil. I could see if you were running sludge and switched to a super secret teflon lube.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
KevinB6876 said:
:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm going to go thru all of that trouble just to make something up about some stupid fucking motor oil. Would you like me to take the time and dig up the old dyno sheets, get them scanned and post them? I don't have a problem doing that, you can even see the dates on there if I'm not mistaken. Like was said below you, it could've just been margin of error, who knows. The dyno showed what it showed, and I run Redline now. Just my personal experience with it, no more, no less.

·
Registered
560 Posts
noobzorta said:
As far as oil goes, i am against royal purple. Reason being, ive seen it chew up a few topends during break-in periods. Here at the shop we are direct with amsoil so we use there stuff alot, i reccomend it.

As for klotz, we just got direct with them for octane booster and oil/race gas. This stuff is amazing, the oil smells like race gas, so its a pleasure to fill it up lol.
I have heard from a number of people including numerous shops that during breakin period DO NOT USE SYN, it doesn't allow for a proper break in and the seals don't seal right or something. Just something i have heard. Then again certain cars come with syn from the factory, maybe they come with different types of seals or something.

Well in my cars (3) mobil 1 syn has burned up a bit between changes, especially in my current car (added almost 2 quarts between changes). Once i switched to Royal Purple, i burned less than 1/4 between changes. I had to consistantly switch to Royal purple with my cars to make everything kosher. I just wanted the Mobil 1 thing to work with each car, but it never did. So now i will never use Mobil 1 again. I'm a Royal Purple man.

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
I use mobile 1 10w30 and have never had an issue. Just recently switched to WIX oil filters, not sure how they will do but heard good reviews on them. I guess time will tell.

sidenote: mobile one was all I used In my 350z, Grand national, and Evo. No issues inside any of those baddly beaten motors....Of course trannies in 2 of the 3 :)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I've heard that Amsoil is good also. But I've heard from the most sources that Mobil 1 is the best. My dad just got a 2003 AMG SL55 with 493hp supercharged. Under the hood, it says to use Mobil 1. I got an 05 Viper, the oil cap says Mobil 1. If you read on the back of the Mobil 1 bottle, it says that the oil is recommended by the factory on Porsches and Corvettes also. NASCAR just switched to Mobil 1 as their official oil. I've always used Mobil 1 and have had no issues. If cars like AMG, Porsche, Viper, Corvette, and NASCAR are using it officially, then I'd say its the best.

·
5,059 Posts
People swear by all different oils. Just pick a high quality synthetic.
I personally use mobil 1 since stores like BJ's and Costco only stock that brand.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Mobil 1 is recommended because Mobil has done a good job of working with the manufacturers AND is available almost everywhere WORLDWIDE AND is a good-enough oil. Manufacturers are NOT going to recommend an obscure brand like Redline or Amsoil, even if those oils were marginally better. I'm not saying that they are or are not better -- just saying that the fact that Mobil 1 is recommended doesn't mean that it is or is not better than other synthetics.

Official oil of NASCAR????? Give us a f'kin break!!!! NASCAR will SELL that status to anyone with money. NASCAR endorsement has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with product quality. For example, Raybestos is the OFFICIAL brake pad of NASCAR yet none of the cars run Raybestos crap. Practically every one of them run Performance Friction. And that's just one example -- there are many more. NASCAR is a marketing organization.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts