Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put another Fuel tank in the back for running with Race gas.
Which fuel tank and Fuel pump do you advice me?
Can I use 2 others stock Supra Fuel pump? or Do I need 2 others exterior Fuel pump?
Max 10-15 gallon
I don't know at the moment How I can switch from the stock to the race tank, if you have any ideas?
Who is running with 2 fuel tanks?

Thks

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I would like to put another Fuel tank in the back for running with Race gas.
Which fuel tank and Fuel pump do you advice me?
Can I use 2 others stock Supra Fuel pump? or Do I need 2 others exterior Fuel pump?
Max 10-15 gallon
I don't know at the moment How I can switch from the stock to the race tank, if you have any ideas?
Who is running with 2 fuel tanks?

Thks
One of the readily available fuel cells should work. There's a thread that I started ab out this in the Titan forum. IMO, you will have to run two separate fuel systems because realistically you will not be able to devise a workable system that relies on a 'switchover' from one tank to the other while using a single rail and set of injectors.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Why would you want the added weight?
It's not that you want the added weight, but rather that you want the supply of C16 or VP Import only when you need it, instead of burning it all the time, including the 99% of time that the car would be better off running on pump gas (not to mention much less costly).

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
It's not that you want the added weight, but rather that you want the supply of C16 or VP Import only when you need it, instead of burning it all the time, including the 99% of time that the car would be better off running on pump gas (not to mention much less costly).
Steve is right. The couple of people I have spoken to that have a fuel cell state that a 5gal of C16/VP import lasts them several tankfulls of pump since the C16 comes on only at x psi. Even if you are driving to a meet or a race, 99% you are off boost. Lets say you drive 30 min each way to get to your meet to drag or street race. You do 4 15second pulls. Well out of 3600 seconds (60minx60sec) you have only been on boost for 60 seconds which is about 1%. Now if your drive is more or went out looking for a race and came back empy handed, that formual gets even worse. And at close to $600/barrel for C16 and even more for VP imports, i think its worth it.

If you are a weight saving natzi and want to take out the foam around your speakers, etc etc, then this is not for you. But when it allows you to have several hundred more HP (depending on your setup) at your disposal at all times when you need it, who cares about the extra weight. You can be as light as you want, but if you forgot to fill up with C16 and that liter bike pulls up, you are screwed.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Put a 2 or 5 gallon gas can with C16 in your trunk, pour into fuel tank when necessary.

The 2 gas tank idea is great in theory but nearly impossible to practically, efficiently, affordably implement.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Put a 2 or 5 gallon gas can with C16 in your trunk, pour into fuel tank when necessary.

The 2 gas tank idea is great in theory but nearly impossible to practically, efficiently, affordably implement.
I usually drive to the track (for roadcourse track days where no racegas is sold at the track) with an extra 5gal can of C16 in my back seat but I always feel like I'm driving a Molotov cocktail. If an unlucky incident happened you'd be toast ...or fried bacon if you prefer carnivorous.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
good lord,

I really hope you bright folk putting fuel cells in your hatches are also putting up a firewall ALSO!

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
yep

saw that thread since it was motec releated. Did not put my two cents in on the firewall issue since I beleived it was just logical (15 gallons of flammable anything and the only thing between you and it is, well the tank and that is it!) that it needs to be isolated unless you like to gamble with that sort of silly thing.

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
Personally i've thought about doing this and i considered this method

Second 5 gallon fuel cell
Daul intank walbros
single -8 feed
split to dual -8's

then add 6 secondary injectors
add another -10 rail
add another FPR
add another -6 return

and then setup the fuel pumps to be turned on with a relay/switch
then figure out a feature to use in aem to control my 6 new injectors

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
yep

saw that thread since it was motec releated. Did not put my two cents in on the firewall issue since I beleived it was just logical (15 gallons of flammable anything and the only thing between you and it is, well the tank and that is it!) that it needs to be isolated unless you like to gamble with that sort of silly thing.
I understand what you're saying, but I would not just use a cheap plastic single-wall tank -- I'd use a rugged fuel cell designed for extreme duty such as Nascar, Baja, etc., such as one of these:
http://www.fuelsafe.com/pdf/RoadRacing.pdf

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
I understand what you're saying, but I would not just use a cheap plastic single-wall tank -- I'd use a rugged fuel cell designed for extreme duty such as Nascar, Baja, etc., such as one of these:
http://www.fuelsafe.com/pdf/RoadRacing.pdf

well lets forget safety for a split second.

If you drag race, they will fail you on the spot in tech inspection for not having a firewall. Same applies if you do SCCA club racing. If you don't race, well then moot point :)

·
Banned
752 Posts

It's been done. (on a 755RWHP MR2 Turbo) It was in SCC February 2007-Volume 19, No. 02

http://www.mr2ownersclub.com/mr2records/dyno/dlashbrook.jpg

chemvolt said:
I don't know how much I've done is going to help you but I'll post anyway. My primaries are 550's running 87 octane. My secondaries are 1600s and run C16. I run 100% primaries until 5 psi and am fully phased in (meaning no more primaries) by 7 or 8 psi. It took a whole lot of experimentation with the phasing points to get it not to lag or buck, plus there are little settings like how much extra fuel gets injected right when the secondaries kick in (in my case 25% IJPU). Its sounds like my goals were different then yours. I just wanted to save fuel money and have the car at top performance 100% of the time, none of this "If I had my race gas". My secondaries are pretty far back on my runners though, mainly because its the only place I could fit them. Overall I'm pretty happy with it except for the extra weight.
HTH,

Ken

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
A local shop did this 2 tank setup on a honda driven by an older man. Put the setup on a toggle switch. he had a 5 gallon cell with race gas with an external pump. Its alot work and so forth but rewards are worth it if you have the need. Its a pretty cool setup when done right. the added weight is minimal considering 5 gallons of gas doesn't weigh THAT much when your gaining a few hundred hp. Having to put your megaphone out the window to tell the bike reving at you that you dont have race gas is just not cool.

For those bitching about the cost/praticality of it all...its simply not for you.

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
Justin nenni has tuned a couple of cars that have worked flawlessly with 2 fuel systems and an aem I believe that italian guy that is always doing crazy things with his supra definatly ahs 2 functioning perfectly. I would personally love to do this set up if I had the money.

·
Banned
1,747 Posts
One of the readily available fuel cells should work. There's a thread that I started ab out this in the Titan forum. IMO, you will have to run two separate fuel systems because realistically you will not be able to devise a workable system that relies on a 'switchover' from one tank to the other while using a single rail and set of injectors.
the biodiesel and SVO guys run two tanks on the same system al the time

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
the biodiesel and SVO guys run two tanks on the same system al the time
I'm guessing that they face a different set of issues and consequences than we, but I'm not sure who SVO guys are. I know that biodiesel/diesel systems are nothing like what we're talking about here -- that is, you're not looking at a blown engine as a consequence of flooring the throttle with the wrong fuel in the rail at the moment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts