Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So mine is pretty much toast, one wheel spinning and the other just grinnin.... I could rebuild it from Toyota, but i'm affraid of the cost honestly. Besides i'm not really sure which one i have but i'm thinking it's the 3.91. I've got the stupid 88.5+ which BLOWS b/c my wiring is all different, some parts are 88 and some are 89 so i'm not really sure.

So, since i do almost all highway driving and i've got a tiny turbo i'm thinking that i'll stick with the 3.91 but i'm not really sure.

Any reason to go with the 4.10 or the 3.73? I want something that'll cruse nice on the highway but still be able to get on it when i want to.

Thoughts and suggestions would be GREAT!

Thanks,

Bryan

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
I vote 3:91, simpley because of "I want something that'll cruse nice on the highway but still be able to get on it when i want to." .

3.91 is in between, so it should be a mix of what you want.

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,211 Posts
3.91's

4.10's and you'll be doin 4k rpm doin 80mph. 3.73's is closer to 3.2k rpm cruising at 80mph

BTW I've got 3.91's cuz I have an '88(turbo hardtop).

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
3.73s are ~ 3k crusing at 80... 391s are the way to go..

·
Registered
165 Posts
perf0rmance said:
3.91's

4.10's and you'll be doin 4k rpm doin 80mph. 3.73's is closer to 3.2k rpm cruising at 80mph

BTW I've got 3.91's cuz I have an '88(turbo hardtop).
I have 4.30's and I'm sure I'm under 4k at 80 so I imagine thats a bit high estimate for 4.10's. But I think the 3.91 would be perfect.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
I have 3.73 and I love it. Diff take s a good beating in my Supra and have run mulitple passes at the track on slicks. I haven't broken it yet. OEM DIFF REPRESENT! :bowdown:

Jaws are still working on one as well to.

Duane

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ROFLMAO!!!!

I just called a Toyota dealership for kicks and giggels to see the actualy price of a "91 Supra Turbo rear Diff." I just got the call back and....

$3300

The tech said it was like almost $2800 for the diff alone.

We can get like THREE TRD units for that price! HOLY SHIT!

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
damn!!!

4.30s will be at 3500 at 80 mph .. 391s will be at 3200 and 373s will be 3k

If i end up keeping my second supra for a dd i will swap my friend for his 4.30 lsd and try it out with the 1jz

·
fbody to supra to fbody
2,015 Posts
I have a 410 but I'm somewhat scared as to what might happen if I take it to the track... I just wanna leave easy and get a decent E/T with good MPH, but I've still heard of it nuking...

I wanna do 391 next, so that's what I'll suggest.

-J

·
Registered
794 Posts
BigTSetter, what is your setup? Are you on stock twins with this motor or single? Are you looking for top speed or just something quick whenever you get on it? If you are on a single turbo, what size is it? I have 3.73s on mine. I plan on going single very soon. I am definately looking for some VERY STRONG - INSANE 3rd and 4th gear power. I think the 3.7s will do fine. At what speed/gear do you want your strongest pull?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jblaze said:
Oh yeah. What is your rev limit?

Rev limit.... i've got it to about 8K

I've got a 2JZ AEM EMS with MKIV 550's, a SP58GT with 3.5" DP and straight 3" all the way with single muffler.

I'm still getting to know the car better, but we're starting to get along just fine here. I know that my diff is either toast or needs rebuilt. So i'm debating on what my options are. I'm starting to really like the 3.73 idea.

Bryan

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
I don't see why everyone goes 3.73.... most racing you need more power down low, autox, drag, street... 3.91 is perfectly in between...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts