Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Im new to the forums and I did alot of reading about these beautiful cars but im still unsure about a couple things. I know of course there are many MK IV's of different models and types. But all I really know is that there is an N/A, Single turbo and Twin turbo. I know just like my old car that each year has its secret and each model is very different. But as for supra im not really sure which is the best and for what reason. Like my friend told me there are 3 different types of Twin turbo models, is this true? And also that not only the turbo was different, but the brakes and chassis were changed on them also? I also heard that the first years are always not good because the "bugs" or factory didnt know what they knew the year after. What do you guys think is the best year of supra single or twin turbo and why? What differs from each years twin turbo models and what are the "good" years of them supra. And of course, which year is the BEST and why?
This really interests me and will forward me into the supra world. Thx ahead of time guys

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
theres only non turbo and twin turbo, single is an upgrade/ mod. the non turbo models have smaller brakes and tires/ rims.

the search button is your best friend.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So Just to clearify, everytwin turbo is Exactly the same in every way on every year? And the only difference between the TT and the NA is brakes and rims nothing else at all?

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
Fwuffy squirrel said:
So Just to clearify, everytwin turbo is Exactly the same in every way on every year? And the only difference between the TT and the NA is brakes and rims nothing else at all?
not exactly !others will explain in more detail.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
k thx ^_^
Sorry for being so specific, But the first thing I do when you get to a forum is have the elders school you into not being a noob. Lets just call it anti-flame/noob awareness training lol.

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Fwuffy squirrel said:
k thx ^_^
Sorry for being so specific, But the first thing I do when you get to a forum is have the elders school you into not being a noob. Lets just call it anti-flame/noob awareness training lol.
The elders have schooled enough noobs. SEARCH.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Check mkiv like said before. And, come on man your new to this forum, your not new to Earth. Of course there are color differences, interior color diff, the normal stuff. As far as bugs in the first years, mine has 181,XXX miles and is a 94 tt(single now). Tell your friend to hit himself in the face several times with a tack hammer

EDIT: repetedly on the tack hammer part

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,488 Posts
In my opinion, the best option would be to have a hardtop (only 93-95 for TT) and a V161 tranny (only 97-98) to arrive at the best possible MKIV for performance. However, that isn't the case. Only an N/A and TT. Other than a slight change in the tranny for the 97-98, and OBD-I vs. OBD-II, everything else is the same. The OBD-II's are harder to tune from what I have heard because they don't want to increase HP.

Basically, every year in the MKIV is pretty much the same performance wise. Like I mentioned, slight differences do exist. Differences like availability of hardtop, slight tranny difference in 6 spd, ECU, wheels were polished for one year, and interior differences. And also color differences.

Searching is the key ;).

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
OBDII is closed loop and tries to correct any mods you do....

NA vs TT is hugely different. complete driveline and electronics are different.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Another minor point about year differences, '96 was only sold in the U.S. with auto trans since Toyota didn't/couldn't certify the 6sp on time for EPA.

Also, the pre-97's have 4 channel accelerometers on each wheel, later years have only 3 channel. I don't know how significant that is to most people.

·
A zone of danger.
1,175 Posts
98mkiv said:
OBDII is closed loop and tries to correct any mods you do....
That shouldn't include 4K+ RPM, or whatever the car determines open-loop function should be (throttle position, engine load, etc.), should it? If it does, that would explain 1 or 2 things I'm seeing (AFR's with corrections set by SAFC), but I cant say I've heard that before. Dammit...I gotta go re-read the sticky from Toyotafan cuz I dont remember all the OBDII crap...

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
^I'd like to know that as well.

Is the whole RPM range on OBDII closed-loop?

·
A zone of danger.
1,175 Posts
OneJoeZee said:
Is the whole RPM range on OBDII closed-loop?
First of all, that cant be true for the whole RPM range. The cars have to make the jump to open-loop or we'd all be melting motors left and right.

And I went back to read Toyotafan's install in the FAQ, and there was nothing about the OBDII trying to correct for mods. Of course that doesnt mean it couldnt be happening, but once the car is in open-loop, I was under the impression there would be no corrections in long term trim since no cruising is done in open loop and therefore there really is no target AFR.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Dego Red said:
First of all, that cant be true for the whole RPM range. The cars have to make the jump to open-loop or we'd all be melting motors left and right.

And I went back to read Toyotafan's install in the FAQ, and there was nothing about the OBDII trying to correct for mods. Of course that doesnt mean it couldnt be happening, but once the car is in open-loop, I was under the impression there would be no corrections in long term trim since no cruising is done in open loop and therefore there really is no target AFR.

On TT Supras OBD2 is SUPERIOR to OBD1. This is a proven fact. It has better fuel and ignition maps. Read this thread if you would like to know more info about why it is better:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283063

As far as closed loop, it does not stay in closed loop throughout the RPM. The ECU will go into open loop based upon load (throttle position, engine load etc). You just do not want to tune in closed loop. In open loop you can tune it to whatever you want.

·
A zone of danger.
1,175 Posts
cwtt said:
On TT Supras OBD2 is SUPERIOR to OBD1. This is a proven fact. It has better fuel and ignition maps. Read this thread if you would like to know more info about why it is better:
Uhh...why are you quoting me? Exactly when did I say that it wasn't better, and I know plenty about OBDII (career-wise, not just Supras). And read again, I made the swap to OBDII...so I know!

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Dego Red said:
Uhh...why are you quoting me? Exactly when did I say that it wasn't better, and I know plenty about OBDII (career-wise, not just Supras). And read again, I made the swap to OBDII...so I know!

Relax, I just hit the quote button instead of the reply button. I wasnt even directing it towards you.

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,488 Posts
cwtt said:

As far as closed loop, it does not stay in closed loop throughout the RPM. The ECU will go into open loop based upon load (throttle position, engine load etc). You just do not want to tune in closed loop. In open loop you can tune it to whatever you want.
Interesting considering that every highly modded Supra I've seen still running the OBD-II NEEDS an OBD-II Fooler to get the car to run right. Doesn't seem superior to me. I got my AFR's decent using the OBD-I.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts