Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a tough time deciding on what to do for new tires... Is there any significant performance advantage between the S-03's and the Pilot Sports?

I have the original tires on my car, which are Pilots (not sports). The front still have good tread but the rear need to be replaced. I am considering going with new S-03's all the way around or just going with 2 rear Pilot Sports for now and upgrading the fronts when the current pilot's wear out. I really like the rim guard on the Pilot's. If I stay with the stock 17" rim, is the 255 the best width, or can I go wider?

I can get the Pilot Sports for $472 for the pair of rears, or the S-03's for $416 for the rears (and another $350 for the fronts.) I'm just not familiar with the two tires.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Twin-Turbos 2X the Proble
806 Posts
My brother has some SO-2's on the GTO and they seem to provide a insane level of grip. I have never driven a car with pilot sports.

--------------------------------------
88 Supra Turbo

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
PILOT SPORTS SUCK!!

I strongly advise against getting Pilot Sports...

While they may look cool (see pic below), they wheel hop pretty bad on most 6sp Supras (every one I've heard of except Steve Hayes' car). They caused me to blow a differential due to this wheel hop, where just switching tires afterwards eliminated the hop.

Also they suck if you ever want to do an open track event as they get greasy quickly with heat, within 3 laps or so...

You can't go wrong with S-03PPs, AVS Sports, g-Force TA KD's, etc.... My favorites are the KD's, although I appreciated having the AVS Sports yesterday in the torrential rain we had here in DFW....

Andi

·
silvermkiv
448 Posts
I have the S-03's and have loved them. You mentioned the rim guard on the pilots, the S-03's have that as well. Very good dry traction and exceptional wet traction. The only question I have is about the treadwear. Only have a couple thousand miles on them right now, so we will see how they wear. I just did the Lance alignment so I hope that helps. Overall the tires get thumbs up from me.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the prompt & helpful responses! I really appreciate it! I think I'll give the S-03's a try. Their less expensive anyhow!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pilot sports AS or AVS Sports db

Just put on a set of Pilot Sports AS after researching tires. Was very tempted to go AVSdb because of cost. Check out reviews on tirerack.com. AVSdb rated best in most catagories & least expensive, too. Great wet traction, except snow, long life, handling,etc. So my Pilot Sports are doing great,but was probably foolish to spend the money.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: PILOT SPORTS SUCK!!

Andi said:
You can't go wrong with S-03PPs, AVS Sports, g-Force TA KD's, etc.... My favorites are the KD's, although I appreciated having the AVS Sports yesterday in the torrential rain we had here in DFW....

Andi
*snip*
What reasons do you like the KD's, Andi? I'm looking for new tires, with an emphasis on straightline traction and 2nd: lateral grip. From what I understand, the KD's have GREAT dry grip.

I don't care if they work well in the rain or not, the car doesnt see rain. :)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my Pilot Sport AS for about 4 months now. So far kept me on the street wet or dry. :D
Never tried Brigestone so I can't really compare them. But, Pilot Sport by far is the best tire I had on my car.
Just don't get Nitto or Yokohama tires. You might think you are saving money cause they are cheaper. But, it melts like butter and better stay home when rains. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
I also have the S-03s, and I love them. They are great in the dry and wet. Not too many tires can do that, also the price is not that bad compared to other ultra high performance tires. Great grip with a tread rating of like 220, but still out performs tires with tread rating as low as 160! You can't go wrong getting this tire.

·
Registered
979 Posts
HOLY CRAP>>>>>5K and the tires are worn...i have over 5k on my tires and they still look new......and i live in miami...trust me it rains alot here too...i drove them through a freakin hurricane...i can tell you they are perfectly driveable in wet conditions........as well as extremly awsome dry traction......i had yokos<crap> and i had toyot...<OK>.....but the life and performance is well worth the cash for BFG...trust me...Jeff

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I went with the Pilot Sports after all. All said and done it was $525 for the rears installed. Here's the finished product.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
does anyone know which shop sell the cheapest price for S-03(235 front and 275 rear)?

·
Registered
62 Posts
You almost bought some killer tires!
I had those Pilots on my Volvo, not very impressive...
I switched to the 03's and the difference was huge! Picked up about 1/2 inch of tread width on the same size tire too, same thing on the Supra, 1/2 wider but the same "size" as the Pirellis they replaced...
Ron

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i havent read any replies but the the s03 are suppose too be the NEW "HIT" on the block! better then P-zero's! so i heard from the peeps at sema, and magazines.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm going to pretty much echo everyone else's comments. I had s02's on my Supra and loved them. I'm told the s03's are even better. But if I still had my Supra it would have the G-Force KD's. I'm a **big** fan of Michelin tires and I believe they have the best tires and quality control on the market, with the exception of max performance tires. However, if ever given the opprotunity I would buy the Pilot MXX3's again in a hearbeat, one of the best ever made IMO.

BTW....I have Yoko AVS Sports now....IMO they suck, especially compared to the so2's. Very loud, quick wearing, poor response.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In your case I would wear out the Pilots, that means if you have the MXX3 tires
I love the steering response of the MXX3 compared to my SO2 the sidewall of the Michelins is much stiffer!!!!!
How is the sidewall off the BF - TA/KD's?????
I would like to try those but they are not available in Europe.

Later Frank.

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
I just recieved my set of PP 03's.

I'm still waiting for the Blitz 03"s to put them on ![3 more wks]

I ordered 255/35R18 frt and 285/30R18 rear.

Since I'm a Toyota Tire Dealer I got a cost priceing on them.

Fronts $228.53 ea Rears $261.35 ea!!!!!!!!$$ 979.76 for the set!!!

Sorry guys that price was a one time deal for me.I can't get those prices for any more sets.

No flames please.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts